Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think Garmin as a standard option was a bad idea. Could have dropped the MSRP to $18,999 and it wouldn't seem so far apart from the 2014 Maverick.

·
Registered
221 Posts
IMO i dont care how muck power it has. On a track or trails the fastest person basically comes down to driving skills/ablities. anyone can go fast in a straight line in sand,dirt,mud, or even pavemant. its when u add turns to the mix. idk if it has 150hp. if u cant keep it on all 4s u aint gona win.

Ill stick with my can-am . but for a popo it will look mean.

Reactions: k goodrich

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
This is exactly what I figured. The PWC HP wars were the same way. I bought 1 BRP RXP, and 1 RXT (2 &3 seat versions) in 2005. They were the latest & greatest bad mofo's on the block for PWC with 215 hp supercharged. 2 years later Kawie upped the hp to 250, the year after that BRP made theirs 255 hp. I think the new Kawie Ulta is 300 f'n hp. Let the HP wars begin.....lol
Yep. In the end its a win win. Customer's get what they want,(performance) and Manufacturers get what they want (sales)

·
Registered
161 Posts
In a few more years these things will be desert car's "buggies" . It is great to see this level of engineering going into these side by sides, it makes a better machine for all of us to enjoy. All this cost to engineer these thing has to be passed on. But at some point a full blown desert car or dune buggie will be the way to go as the price keeps going up on these things.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Dealer told me 115 hp. Guess we'll find out soon..
Don't believe it. I bet It will be under 110 but more than 101 because they don't need that much HP to beat the Maverick. XP900 are 88 HP and only gets beat by about 3 car lengths in 300 ft. Polaris has everyone beat because of their power to weight ratio. They use thinner metal than other manufacturers on just about every part.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'd say the polaris will gain some weight with the 1000 being longer and quite possibly beefing some places up that was weak in the 900

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Of course it will be heavier than the 900 but it won't need 20+ HP to beat the maverick because it won't weight as much as the Mav.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I figure it'll gain 150-200 lbs and be around 105-107hp and be about a length to length and half faster than the maverick or 120 hp and blow the maverick away lol

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Either way, if my Maverick hits 80mph with my new clutches and the muzzy, then that is fast enough for me.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think with a good clutch setup we'll be faster than the 1000 rzr if they have 107 hp. V-twins make alot more torque than parallel twins do

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That's true but it will hard to beat thier power to weight ratio and that usually trumps everything else.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
With weight comes strength and visa versa
Not 100% accurate. They could have made it bigger which would add weight but that doesn't mean they made it stronger. However you would certainly hope that because they made it bigger and with more hp they would be willing to make it stronger. The problem is Poolaris will sacrifice strength to keep the weight down. It should still be a nice car tho.

·
Vendor
6,222 Posts
I agree. I was saying that if too equal sized machines were side by side. We would all hope a machine thats smaller would weigh less. That's always been my biggest fear with Polaris is they will sacrifice strength for weight just like you said. For a vehicle that leaves the ground and goes fast down rough stuff that's not a sacrifice that should be made. I'm assuming they're going to address a lot of that on this one.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Now I agree, its not a sacrifice I am willing to make either. Make it strong first, then give it enough power to make it move. However, this is within reason because weight kills move ability. That old physics thing about inertia comes into play.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts