Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just bought a 2015 Max XRS that has really low miles. I am going to go through and change out all the fluids. I have two questions-
1. is there anything besides changing the fluids that I should do to make it ready to ride?
2. Since this thing has probably sat a lot in the past 4 years, will the belt have hardened? Should I immediately replace the belt or run it for a while? Is there something I should put on it to make it more pliable and useable?

Thanks everyone, I've been reading the forums and have founds lots of good information!

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
cjust do a good mechanical check on all bolts, fluids and battery. Belt, I would buy a new one and change it. This will let you know what tools you need to carry with you and then you will have a spare belt. Rockymountain atv for OEM parts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What MDD said. Then you can carry the old belt as a spare.
2) Probably should grease the wheel bearings too. The bearings on my 2015 were pretty dry from the factory. Took 15 pumps with the grease gun on each wheel. Pic of the tool from Amazon is attached. It's a bit more difficult than the X3 to grease because you have to slide the axles out of the hubs. You will need a big socket (sorry can't remember the size) and an air impact. There is a YouTube video on this.
3) As long as you have the clutch cover off, it might be a good idea to grease the one way bearing on the drive clutch.
4) One thing about the Max is that you have to remove the floor on the rear drivers side as well as the rear seat to get at the belt. There is an upgrade kit from BRP - I think it came on the 2016 and later - you cut out out part of the rear drivers floor and this new cover installs with push pins so that you can get at the belt without removing the floor every time. Really worth it. i will find a link and post it.
5) And while you are changing he belt, I'd give some serious thought to putting in a belt temp gauge and sensor (in the clutch cover). The 2015's have relatively poor air flow to the clutches and especially the Max's. Load it up with 4 people and you can get the belt pretty toasty in a hurry.
Congrats on the new ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
The stock configuration on the MAX OG is a tough belt change. For sure do it at home to get familiar and take the advice offered here. Tim

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also it would be wise to check into a front gusset kit from someone like CT Race Worx. It's pretty easy to tweet the front of the frame if you hit something a little sideways, like finding a big rock buried in the sand in a fast corner. All of a sudden, your steering wheel is no longer straight up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts