Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Idaho. Just ordered the Trail 1000DPS. Have ridden MC and ATV's most of my life and I am old. We ordered one with a winch, windshield, aluminum top, rear window, wind deflectors, and the 4 point harness'. It will mainly be used for hunting and recreational riding in the mountains during the summer. This is our first SxS. I test drove a 2020 before making my order. First thing I noticed was the noise. I'll learn to live with that if I have too but I'll consider any suggestions. The next thing I noticed was the "subdued" power. That needs to be addressed. Research showed that my 850 Polaris has more HP than the 1000 CanAm and it shows in all the performance areas. I know my ATV is lighter but I think the SxS should be producing more power and better performance. I learned that the factory is required to restrict the HP and performance. So my question is what are some of your preferences for performance enhancements? Is there a way to change the factory settings at the ECU or do I go with an aftermarket chip. If aftermarket, what are people using the most? My machine isn't due to arrive until June at the earliest so I have time.

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Plenty of threads on noise, and power.

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
113 Posts
Welcome from Twin Falls area. The trail 1000 is detuned to 75hp for liability reasons. Too much power in a 50" width machine can be dangerous. Pretty sure it is only tuning required to bring hp up to 101 like the 60-64" 1000r machines.
Personally, I love the Rotax sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome from Twin Falls area. The trail 1000 is detuned to 75hp for liability reasons. Too much power in a 50" width machine can be dangerous. Pretty sure it is only tuning required to bring hp up to 101 like the 60-64" 1000r machines.
Personally, I love the Rotax sound.
Thanks for the input. I am definitely going to see what options i have. Be nice if all they have to do is hook it up to a computer. I live in Lewiston. Do you know Jack Johnson down in your area? We used to work together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice to see another (soon to be) Trail owner. I just got my '21 in January. Kind of the same profile as you. Honestly I am fine with the 75hp. I've been mainly bogging around some local quad trails in the snow. Now it's all softening up with spring here, I've been pretty pleased with how it handles the little areas of skeg I've come across. Better than I expected with the stock tires. Good torque. I usually keep it on Eco for more control on the bumpy stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to see another (soon to be) Trail owner. I just got my '21 in January. Kind of the same profile as you. Honestly I am fine with the 75hp. I've been mainly bogging around some local quad trails in the snow. Now it's all softening up with spring here, I've been pretty pleased with how it handles the little areas of skeg I've come across. Better than I expected with the stock tires. Good torque. I usually keep it on Eco for more control on the bumpy stuff.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
113 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am definitely going to see what options i have. Be nice if all they have to do is hook it up to a computer. I live in Lewiston. Do you know Jack Johnson down in your area? We used to work together.
Sorry, the name doesn't ring a bell. Im with the Magic Valley ATV riders, which is the biggest in the state so if he's a member I still may no have met him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really appreciated the responses. Sill digging around on the tuning thing. Looking at getting the chip flashed for about 86hp and increase torque about 12 to 15% and it will remove the throttle restrictions, rev limiter, etc. I asked the service manager at a larger shop about how far one could go. He said the engine in the Trail has a different engine. Same block but different cam and maybe heads/valves the the larger wheel base 1000.. Can't remember everything. But he said bumping it up with something like an Evo flash really peps them up and makes a noticeable difference. My research goes on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does your 1000 require premium fuel? I think the 1000 is the what the old Commanders and ATVs had (87 octane), versus the 1000r in the old Mavericks and used now. (91+ octane)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does your 1000 require premium fuel? I think the 1000 is the what the old Commanders and ATVs had (87 octane), versus the 1000r in the old Mavericks and used now. (91+ octane)
I haven't asked. I always run non-ethanol higher octane fuel in my ATV and small engine stuff. I believe I saw where 91 octane was recommended for best performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good luck! I have a Trail 1000DPS on order, too. Will be my first SxS. I'm sure I'll be seeking lots of help here. It's supposed to arrive in Sept. Now trying to secure a trailer...difficult due to high demand and low supply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 2021 and up commanders have a noise shield mat for the back firewall. It also fits the maverick trail. I don't have the part number close by but ill see if i can find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts