Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I did it. I took the 2012 Wildcat in and dropped it off. I pick up my new Maverick tomorrow. I see lots of debates about what they need, so I'd like advice from you guys on what are wants and what are needs. I went with the base Maverick because it was the HP I was after more than anything, I don't race, and as huge of a loss I took on the Wildcat I got the better discount on the 1000R than I could have on the X.

So far I have ordered a half windshield. I'll probably do the sports low too. We ride in an area with trails that generally are smooth, some mud, but generally just nice trails that you'd find anywhere. I am not a speed freak, so I'm looking for the sort of upgrades that increase reliability, help the machine run better, I don't really need to make it faster than it is.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I would agree

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What sort of cashola are we talking here? Those clutches look like 2 grand? I've said it before, I'll say it again...sadly my toolbox is a pen and a checkbook so I have to have everything done to boot. =)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Just the primary runs $875 plus about $40-50 for shipping. The stock secondary works fine, and there's no need to change it for most peeps.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
QSC primary, tie rods and depending on the trails that you're on you could consider skids fro protection. Obvious safety things like a harness bar and harness's. Front gussets wouldn't be a bad idea either but it doesn't sound like you'll be too hard on it.
All of these parts I sell except the QSC primary.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good ideas so far fellas, I appreciate it. Let me land on the Maverick and then I guess it's time to break out the debit card. ;)

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
4 or 5pt harnesses, clutch(s), tie rods must do's, then doors, roof, and lighting. And I'm with Glamisfan. We both did the AIRDAM CVTech, but knowing what I know now...QSC/STM seems to be the best bang for the buck on clutching.

·
Registered
649 Posts
QSC, Skids , Sport Low...Im still running stock tie rods in the Front and stock tires... If i upgrade the tires i will throw on the Aftermarkets i have... These things are money pits. Get ready! :)

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Just drive it under warranty and forget all that other stuff. It will be fine, spend your money on what makes YOU happy. Stereo, roof and halfshield will be the stuff that gives you comfort so start there. Don't be buyin no clutch till the som bitch won't move. All them guards ain't necessary unless you just want to. I might consider a winch cause you ain't movin that fuker by yourself

·
Registered
649 Posts
^^^^^^^ Yea i wouldnt buy skids either... I would rely on the POS skids that come on it ... On two mavs of friends that had the "i don't need skids" attitude I've replaces brake lines on both, mended wiring harness and replaced a inner clutch cover where they hit a rock and the factory 1/32 skid cut through it... So if u don't mind these non warranty issues i wouldn't buy skid either...maybe we are just to rough on them riding through the rocks and over natural terrain

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just drive it under warranty and forget all that other stuff. It will be fine, spend your money on what makes YOU happy. Stereo, roof and halfshield will be the stuff that gives you comfort so start there. Don't be buyin no clutch till the som bitch won't move. All them guards ain't necessary unless you just want to. I might consider a winch cause you ain't movin that fuker by yourself
Play-doh, I think I love you man. You are a riot....lol. Down to earth, just tell it how it is. I wish we had a hard core group up in MN like I see on YouTube videos...all those Rednecks standing around watching people climb crazy shit.....huge crowds at that. We are forming a nice crew of 8-12 people and machines, but nothing like you guys down south.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^^^^ Yea i wouldnt buy skids either... I would rely on the POS skids that come on it ... On two mavs of friends that had the "i don't need skids" attitude I've replaces brake lines on both, mended wiring harness and replaced a inner clutch cover where they hit a rock and the factory 1/32 skid cut through it... So if u don't mind these non warranty issues i wouldn't buy skid either...maybe we are just to rough on them riding through the rocks and over natural terrain
Where I ride it's really not very rocky. I'll show you guys a video from on my Wildcat, this is the area we go just about every weekend. Nemadji State Park in Minnesota. Huge area, plenty of places to ride, and different types. If you watch far enough you'll see me give my buddy a mud bath...he was CAKED. Of course I sent him a bill for the mud plaster he got. Those are big bucks and great for your complexion! =) Rzr 900S, couple Commanders, Rzr 800, Outlander 1000, and a Sportsman 500 HO and of course my Wildcat 1000 in the video. Was a cold and crappy day, but we still had fun. The Wildcat is gone, traded it in on the Maverick XRS.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Where I ride it's really not very rocky. I'll show you guys a video from on my Wildcat, this is the area we go just about every weekend. Nemadji State Park in Minnesota. Huge area, plenty of places to ride, and different types. If you watch far enough you'll see me give my buddy a mud bath...he was CAKED. Of course I sent him a bill for the mud plaster he got. Those are big bucks and great for your complexion! =) Rzr 900S, couple Commanders, Rzr 800, Outlander 1000, and a Sportsman 500 HO and of course my Wildcat 1000 in the video. Was a cold and crappy day, but we still had fun. The Wildcat is gone, traded it in on the Maverick XRS.

cool, just trying to save ya some expensive repairs

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate that very much. I'll probably do all of that over time. I can only get away with so much without getting in trouble with the little lady and being banished to the couch. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts