Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, I'm digging it!

I bought a new XRS a couple weeks ago and finally got to 10 hours (I haven't had a lot of time to ride) the thing ripped though. Very impressed.

Took it in and had the oil changed etc and just picked it up today. I was riding around my yard and noticed I had lost power, like enough to notice. Before I took it in it would really shoot out of the hole and the rear suspension would really compress etc. now it's maybe half of what I had. I don't know what could have happened. Any ideas?

When i took it in I told the dealer that when it was hot it would act like it wasn't gonna roll over when trying to start again. Almost like the battery was weak but it did always start. They said theyd make a note and check it out. I noticed it had 10.3 hrs when I picked it up and they said they got it hot and tested it with no issues.

I have read that people adjust the valves after break in but when I asked the dealer they said they only would do that if it needed it. So if they aren't checking them how do they know if it needs it?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Take it back and raise hell or wait to see if by some miracle I get my power back. I'm really frustrated but I haven't spoke to them yet. I'm anticipating typical dealer bs but I'm crossing my fingers.

I've read the posts on the starter recall info and I might ask them about that too. Do you think the power loss could be my clutch or my belt or maybe the valves? I don't know where to start. All I know is that I need it fixed!

Are there any ways to tell if anything is wrong short of a warning light? This thing has more buttons and computers than a damn spaceship so I don't just wanna tear into it but if there are things I can check I'll do it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
did the sport switch get bumped to off?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I made sure the switches were on etc. I even put the grey key in once just to make sure the black key was still faster.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I just thought of something. I had the dealer put the pro armor can am doors on. Could they have tweaked a sensor or something and could that make it lose power?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Maybe they over oiled the post filter?
I'm with Glamisfan on this one…check your post filter and see if it has too much oil on it. Mine had so much it puddled up in the bottom of the airbox about 1/2 deep!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Does it idle any different or only loss of power when on the throttle?
Is it missing and sputtering or runs perfect without power?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Wow so how did you fix it? Degrease it?
Not sure if you were talking to me or not….yes, I cleaned it all up. I literally used about 40 paper towels to soak up everything and clean out the air box and filter. Mine was like that since i bought it (only has 2.4 hours on it now) and haven't taken it out and ridden it since I cleaned it up. But it did run fine with it over oiled but i don't know if cleaning it gave me any additional power yet. I will find out on Saturday.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
That extra .3 miles was the guys at the dealership smoking your belt off. Prolly out back seein if she'll do 80 like everyone says.
Change your own oil, service your own machine and don't trust dealerships!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That extra .3 miles was the guys at the dealership smoking your belt off. Prolly out back seein if she'll do 80 like everyone says.
Change your own oil, service your own machine and don't trust dealerships!
Ummm, I ain't touching the valve adjustments....do you make house calls PLAY-DOH? ;)

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
My machine has dropped power as well. My clutch tune dropped almost 300 rpm after the 15 hour mark. Not sure whats causing it either.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Are you running the original belt? Have seen a worn belt drop RPM's due to sidewall wear. It effectivly chages the gear ratio of the clutching....something to look into....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts