Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The part that I don't like is that its 3d printed. I am sure it will work fine but I have had some 3d printed parts for other things that really sucked and didn't last long.
Saying it's 3D printed gives you about as much information as saying it's made of plastic. Way too many variables to call it good or bad just from that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Manifold showed up. Pretty nice piece. Will put up a few pics when done
Possible you can stick a boroscope inside and see if they have radiused all the sharp flow path edges, if it is 3D printed, that should be a trivial detail to design in.

Did you purchase the right VS left flow manifold?

Possible anyone knows which specific process / Mfr. was used to construct this manifold?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Possible you can stick a boroscope inside and see if they have radiused all the sharp flow path edges, if it is 3D printed, that should be a trivial detail to design in.

Did you purchase the right VS left flow manifold?

Possible anyone knows which specific process / Mfr. was used to construct this manifold?
Post some pics, it's probably FDM.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just curious, what prompted you for the need to buy one?
Main reason is I am installing a fp green with 1050 injectors. I want to keep the boost no higher than 18 to stay pump gas friendly. I know that more flow makes more power at the same boost, so I felt the manifold would help as ibexx says retuning is necessary due to increased flow.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Looks nice!! My guess is still FDM; which uses a filament that looks like thin weed eater string and sends it off of a spool through a heated orifice (think hot glue gun) and prints each cross section. Did they say anything about the material? Some of that stuff is glass or carbon fiber reinforced and hella strong.

·
Registered
2018 x3 XMR Turbo
85 Posts
Orientation of any fiber reinforcing is in the XY plane of each layer, but the only thing holding layers together is the adhesion of the current layer to the previous one. Very strong in some directions but not any stronger than a typical FDM part in the Z direction (delaminating of the layers). What can help this is if the print chamber is heated vs an open to the air print area.
In the pictures that sure looks like an FDM part.

Reactions: Scott F
1 - 20 of 38 Posts