Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a new factory half windshield & canvas top with sunscreen. They work great but noticed the cab temperature is much higher now. The center console area is very warm to the touch, which makes sense because that's where the engine is. Which got me to thinking ... What if there's fire in the engine compartment???? Would you be able to "blast" it with a fire extinguisher since the engine is pretty much sealed from top to bottom? If not, what could I do to address this problem, if any? Have a removable access hole like is on the engine cover of boats. I know I may be paranoid, especially since I was the one who posted that picture of the RZR fire & started the fire extinguisher discussion.

Second thought, would it make sense to use some stick-on heat shield material (on the engine side) to keep the heat out of the cab?

We ride in the Salton Sea area of CA & the winter temps are in the 70 to 80's during the day so the heat gets a bit excessive at times.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Lots and Lots of info on this topic.........unfortunately If there Is a fire that starts at the engine that plastic would melt soooo fast

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Ya lots of info. I hush matted console, helped some. Some guys wrap the pipe, it would help some. There is a console cover a guy makes over on the Commader site, some guys use the fan over ride switch. They all help some. I like to just keep on moving, fast. P.S. Thanks for the pic on that RZR-did he claim insurance, have you seen him driving around in a turbo.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Fan override made a HUGE difference for the low gear trail riding I mostly do. It's like night and day from when I realize I didn't turn it on to after the fan has been running for a few min. Fire... I'd probably step out and pop a couple .45 holes in the fuel tank to make sure it gets finished off!

Reactions: dirtyj

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dirtyj,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, it was a rental RZR & thankfully he purchased the $50 insurance. It cost him the rental fee ($400), insurance ($50) & a insurance deductible ($500); instead of the $10k estimated replacement cost without the insurance.

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts