Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a polaris guy and I have been looking at the polaris 1000 xp 4 seater and it looks like an awesome machine. But I have been hearing some pretty bad reviews on there machines with their belts that makes me nervous. My wife and I stopped by a dealer the other day to look at the polaris 1000 4. Well she feel in the love with the can am maverick x rs dps. We are ready to pull the trigger would like to hear your input on the maverick max x rs I just don't know much about them. Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Opinions are like a--holes. Everybody has one. I have a mav xrs. I am happy with it. I looked at the XP too. I think I would have been happy with an XP also. They both have their weaknesses. What made me decide on the Mav was the price and the fact that I have had good luck with CanAm in the past. Don't get in a hurry, talk to real people from both camps and make your decision based on your type of riding. Take everything you read on this forum and the Polaris forum with a grain of salt. There is good info on both sites but it is easy to get caught up in the BS. If you have an unlimited budget I would say go for the Polaris. It has bigger tires, more power, and a better suspension. However, dollar for dollar, I think the Mav wins out unles the extra HP and suspension travel are necessary. With common sense and good maintainance either machine should give you good service. Good Luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Me and my wife love our max xrs dps, it has plenty of power. If you go xp1000 you'll have 1 inch more of ground clearance, more travel, 6 more hp, and a web forum full problems with it being a new machine (Polaris rushed to release it and now the model has ton of problems). But keep in mind with that with the extra ground clearance there is more length to the vehicle making your overall ground clearance to length ratio the same for the most part. I will tell you my buddies xp4 900 has less wheelbase then mine and maneuvers better as a result, so I'm going to guess backing up an xp 1000 in going to be a pain in the a$$ and a little more hard to maneuver in tight spots than than in the max. For the most part the max goes just about anywhere I point it. Also as you know if you have sat in a max, the comfort level is awesome my kids love it and it has plenty of room. The xp 1000 will be a good machine if I where u I would give it a year to work out the bugs. But as for me I would go Max all over again it exceeded my expectations. It seems very durable and few have complained about any problems at all. Some will say get new tie rods, haven't had any problems with mine and have not had any belt problems with the cvt ( it seems as if only hardcore drivers have been having those issues). The trick to the cvt is using low range when going slow and high range for getting it on. I have no regrets good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was in the same boat, I bought a 2013 Xrs I couldnt be happier with the machine. The only down fall is the availability and cost of aftermarket parts such as bumpers compared to polaris, however I dont know if the new xp1000 falls into the same category.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
a LOT and let me repeat LOT of issues you hear are rumors started by some who want people to think the canam is inferior or problem after problem, just not the case. canam has no ongoing issues as of 2014, no major issues at all. they had a bolt/clutch issue last year but has resolved ( which by the way is more than can be said for popo across the board, maby of the issues I had with pop in 2010 are still there today), you can tear a belt up if not broke in right.many have thousand miles on original belt. use low gear when crawling or under heavy or difficult loads/trails. you will always find the stray issues with anything you buy. new home, sxs, new truck,etc. the point is there is no serious issue that exist on multiple machines. form, fit and function is 100% canam, ride and overall is canam, both have about the same top speed stock. I have the max and could not be happier

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I don't have a Max but I do have a Maverick and I will tell you that it is a bulletproof machine with only a few small upgrades done to it. The Polaris is a nice machine (for a Polaris) but if you go over to their forum, you will find a thread were people are listing their problems and it is over 45 pages long in just a few short months. If you notice over here....there are no such threads for the MAX as it has been one of, if not the most trouble free launches of any new vehicle I have ever experienced. So if you are one who values his or her time behind the wheel and doesn't have the time for issues or warranty claims, I would highly recommend you look very hard at the MAX as it will serve you well and allow you to fully enjoy your play time instead of dealing with issues all the time or worrying if/when it is going have a problem.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't have a Max but I do have a Maverick and I will tell you that it is a bulletproof machine with only a few small upgrades done to it. The Polaris is a nice machine (for a Polaris) but if you go over to their forum, you will find a thread were people are listing their problems and it is over 45 pages long in just a few short months. If you notice over here....there are no such threads for the MAX as it has been one of, if not the most trouble free launches of any new vehicle I have ever experienced. So if you are one who values his or her time behind the wheel and doesn't have the time for issues or warranty claims, I would highly recommend you look very hard at the MAX as it will serve you well and allow you to fully enjoy your play time instead of dealing with issues all the time or worrying if/when it is going have a problem.
Well said, heavy! The same has been the experience with mine. Very happy with it so far! Seems to be a very durable platform.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the input you guys made some good points. I started calling around today on prices for a new Max!! I will keep you guys posted. Wish me luck time to join the Can Am family...
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
glad we could help....if you do decide to get the MAX, I think you will be very happy in the long run...

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
26 Posts
My buddy has the 4 door Polaris, and I have the Max. My ride is much more comfortable than his. If you look at the interior, he's looks like a go cart, and mine looks sleek. My seats are twice as comfortable than his. I'm faster than him with 4 people in mine and him riding solo. He's admitted on several occasions that he wishes he would of waited for the Max.
The MAX is in a league of its own for 4 doors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome to hear MacMax!!! I can't wait pulling the trigger this next week. I have caught some flack from my buddies about the Can Am Max. I live here in Iowa and it's polaris country. Thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts