Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Dalton clutch kit with optional black secondary spring, everything went together good. Test drove it to see how it did and it was exactly what I was lookin for, until the axle broke. I still had the factory tires and wheels on it and I was on a dirt road in sport high 2wd. It broke the outside left rear joint, the hub and all is tight. Had anyone else had this problem? Is it worth takin to the dealer for warranty claim and waiting 2 weeks or just buying a aftermarket axle?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
might been a defect worth a shot , how many miles ?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
It's worth a shot....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just installed the Dalton clutch kit with optional black secondary spring, everything went together good. Test drove it to see how it did and it was exactly what I was lookin for, until the axle broke. I still had the factory tires and wheels on it and I was on a dirt road in sport high 2wd. It broke the outside left rear joint, the hub and all is tight. Had anyone else had this problem? Is it worth takin to the dealer for warranty claim and waiting 2 weeks or just buying a aftermarket axle?
what exactly were you looking for out of this kit? im interested in it as well since I wanna keep stock engine braking. What did you gain, did you lose any top end?

·
Registered
206 Posts
And I would def try to get that axle covered under warranty

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not sure on the miles but it has just over 50hrs on it, i got the kit because of the rpm drop and i have a set of 28x10x14 roctanes on 14" sti hd beadlock wheels and i wanted to keep my performance, with the research i got from here the dalton kit was the better choice since i didn't wanna drop so much on a complete setup like a stm clutch. i didnt get to check my top speed but it should still be there, it was definatly quicker to 65mph in a shorter distance. you can feel it put you in the seat. i havent even put my new wheels and tires on it and its done broke, will this be a often problem once i get it fixed and install my new tires? is anyone else breaking axles?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
axles aren't a problem with stock tires in dirt , like ur situation

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
takin it to the dealer, maybe they will cover it...

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
takin it to the dealer, maybe they will cover it...
ya its worth it to start there if ur still under warranty , let us know what happens , hopefully u kinda know a service guy there already to ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not really, the closest dealer to me is a hour away which is kinda why i was thinkin to just buy a axle. they are suppose to let me know somethin tomorrow and hopefully it wasn't a wasted trip. i hope its just a defect cuz i think its too soon to be havin a broke axle thats why a bought a can am and not a polaris lol

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
for sure should not broke under normal driving like u said its not a Polaris, lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
for sure should not broke under normal driving like u said its not a Polaris, lol
AREED has a writeup on how to prevent this I believe.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer claims the cv boot was "cracked" and that was why the joint failed. They sent pictures and stuff to brp to see if they are goin to warranty it...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Cracked boot is BRPs problem I would think also. Not like you can make a boot crack. Now if it was torn I could see a problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't care what they decide broke as long as its brp paying the bill lol but I think it was really somethin with the joint itself cuz I feel like I would notice the grease slinging out

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the outer joint breaks again in the future hopefully not anytime soon, would it be best to upgrade to the gorilla outer joint(if its the joint again) or gorilla complete axle? Or is there another axle worth upgrading to?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
get on the maverick addiction on FB and ask there , there is a ton of mudders on there that have been playing with axles

·
Registered
668 Posts
Broke axle my dealer told me to kick rocks pretty much said no go with brp. Idk what's true but I didn't like the response.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dealer confirmed that brp is warranting the axle, just sucks cuz they didn't order the axle til today

Reactions: Benzo

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
good to hear !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts