·
Registered
2,240 Posts
They work good , kill the heat and stop most of the tranny noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
394 Posts
That is one ugly mo fo. Putting the stuff under it inside is the way to go.
I'm not really liking the looks either but can you get that same amount of heat reflection material under there? I'm thinking, that because it's so easy to install, I'd just stick it in there on really hot days. I was only bothered by heat if it was in the 80's or higher.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm not really liking the looks either but can you get that same amount of heat reflection material under there? I'm thinking, that because it's so easy to install, I'd just stick it in there on really hot days. I was only bothered by heat if it was in the 80's or higher.
There was a thread where people did some really high quality work on heat reflection for like $40 and some time. They were saying their drinks stayed cold a long time after doing it. Search for that thread, there are pictures too.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Put some of that shit under my plastic and some came off on a hot day and caught fire , big f--king mistake on my part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Those things look hideous! I did the under panel reflective heat material and it works amazing when combined with the header wrap. Highly recommended….. IMG_0340.jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0342.jpg IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0345.jpg IMG_0346.jpg

·
Registered
161 Posts
I will tell you what I did to cut the heat, I got a 5.00 can of spray foam and went over the area's on the underside of the console and then started trimming it around all the stuff that needed to be clearance. you would not believe how this works. You will have some area's that there is 1 to 2 1/2" of urethane insulation, under the drink holder there must be 2 1/2" and even in the hottest rides you cannot feel any heat. I also did the sides where I could, there is a coolant line that runs right next to the pass side footwell and I put fiberglass pipe insulation on that, On a scale of I to 10 this is a 8 for being better.

·
Registered
713 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am sorry, but I tried that stuff on the Maverick first and it is not up to the job with this machine. I live in Az in the summer and no way. That's when I got the idea of the spray foam.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
What kind did you by.....I would have to look it up but the stuff i got was rated up to 1200' direct contact continuous use and claimed to reflect up to 90% of the radiant heat. It wasn't cheap but it does work . I live in Idaho and in the summer it can hit 105 -110' in the heat of the day. It absolutely worked for me when combining it with the header wrap. While wearing shorts I felt little to no heat transfer thru the panels...even on the passenger side where the radiator hose rests right up against were your left leg would touch the panel.

Again, I think it has a lot to do with what kind you buy. Mine cost $50 a roll and I used 2 rolls and covered every inch of the panels......

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I did this same thing to my commander but yours looks way better:)~

Nice work man
Thank you sir...I guess I am a bit "anal" about stuff like this even though you will never see it....

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am sorry, but I tried that stuff on the Maverick first and it is not up to the job with this machine. I alive in Az in the summer and no way. That's when I got the idea of the spray foam.
The good heat tape has a thick almost gel like adhesive on it. That stuff lasts much longer than the thin tape like stuff.

Has anyone tried that Lizard Skin spray on stuff? Its supposed to block heat pretty well. I think it was Muscle Car (on Spike TV) that painted half a griddle with Lizard Skin and left half plain. They dropped piece of ice on each side and the ice on plain side melted completely before the sprayed side even started to melt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well if you go to the trouble of putting header wrap over it that is a different story. But if it works for you that's great. A 5.00 can of spray foam worked for me. What kind of R-value did the stuff you use have?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Well if you go to the trouble of putting header wrap over it that is a different story. But if it works for you that's great. A 5.00 can of spray foam worked for me. What kind of R-value did the stuff you use have?
Haha....I have no idea on the R value. I don't think it is rated the same way you do home insulation. I have no doubt the spray stuff works. It is probably better than the insulated barrier just due to the thickness of the barrier. I am just admitting that I am "anal" about this kind of stuff and although you may never see it, I know it's there and the spray on insulation is not for me.

Just one thing to be aware of, I don't know what the flammability rating is on the spray stuff and if you don't have your headers wrapped, you could possibly get a chunk that breaks off and falls on the header. I would make sure it is flame resistant to at least 1300'...

The DAP quick Foam has a warning label that it becomes flamable at temperatures above 240'
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=10

3M™ Polystyrene Foam Insulation 78 Spray is only rated to 230'
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/3M-Polystyrene-Foam-Insulation-78-Spray-Adhesive-INVERTED-24-fl-Ounce-Aerosol-12-per-case?N=4294647688+5000130&Nr=AND%28hrcy_id%3ARJQ9734GZBgs_7R074N7D6Z_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv%29&rt=d

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The good heat tape has a thick almost gel like adhesive on it. That stuff lasts much longer than the thin tape like stuff.

Has anyone tried that Lizard Skin spray on stuff? Its supposed to block heat pretty well. I think it was Muscle Car (on Spike TV) that painted half a griddle with Lizard Skin and left half plain. They dropped piece of ice on each side and the ice on plain side melted completely before the sprayed side even started to melt.
I have never used it but sounds like it would work fairly well if you could get a good bond on the inner panel surface.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Haha....I have no idea on the R value. I don't think it is rated the same way you do home insulation. I have no doubt the spray stuff works. It is probably better than the insulated barrier just due to the thickness of the barrier. I am just admitting that I am "anal" about this kind of stuff and although you may never see it, I know it's there and the spray on insulation is not for me.

Just one thing to be aware of, I don't know what the flammability rating is on the spray stuff and if you don't have your headers wrapped, you could possibly get a chunk that breaks off and falls on the header. I would make sure it is flame resistant to at least 1300'...
Was wondering the same thing. The stuff I have seen like that usually is pretty flammable.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes it can be flammable and I knew this going in, I did wrap the header pipes as well as you can and will hope for the best. I have heard of a coating you can brush on over the foam that will seal it up and raise the flammable temp somewhat, may look into that. What is the max heat limit on the foam pads that Can am uses on the console parts? are they a problem if they were to hit the exhaust pipe? Thanks for the imput

1 - 20 of 26 Posts