Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing my QSC Primary and STM Secondary, with it I installed the new gates belt. Its a super stiff belt so I am wondering if the play I have is enough. See the video, it rides right up to the top like a champ.

Also in the QSC box I found this however I cant find anything that explains with it is, any ideas?

photo(1).JPG

Thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
446 Posts
Have you tried to put it in gear? Looks like the belt is spinning pretty fast while at idle. Didn't think it was supposed to spin if any at idle.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, in gear it seems fine. It's doesn't move at all. I'm going to take it for a spin tomorrow and see how it hooks up.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yes, in gear it seems fine. It's doesn't move at all. I'm going to take it for a spin tomorrow and see how it hooks up.
If it doesn't creep in gear and it is easy to shift, you are fine. If it is hard to shift, you need to add at least one fiber washer to the secondary. What you have in your picture looks like the spacer that comes with the QSC primary in the event your engagement RPM is too low. You would put that under the primary spring and it will raise your engagement RPM by a few hundred...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it doesn't creep in gear and it is easy to shift, you are fine. If it is hard to shift, you need to add at least one fiber washer to the secondary. What you have in your picture looks like the spacer that comes with the QSC primary in the event your engagement RPM is too low. You would put that under the primary spring and it will raise your engagement RPM by a few hundred...
Thanks Jeff...

It goes into gear just fine. I am going to run it up the street when I get home today. How are you liking your setup?

Dennis

·
Registered
806 Posts
Heavy is dead on about the spacer. I had to install mine, it was gravy. I only have the qsc primary and stock secondary. I installed my qsc and a new gates belt at the same time. When I would rev it up in nuetral it looked like the belt was gonna jump out of the clutches, kinda worried me. Only problem I have now is after doing alot of slow technical riding, either my belt or secondary starts to whine/squal but goes away at higher rpm, annoys the shit out of me. Let us know if your gates belt makes a whining noise, I'm curious.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Stock tires and hills and rocks.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I will finally know how mine does after this coming weekend at Glamis.
Altho I installed a new factory belt and NOT the gates belt.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks Jeff...

It goes into gear just fine. I am going to run it up the street when I get home today. How are you liking your setup?

Dennis
I'm loving it....I actually have been running the stock clutches for the past few weeks because I sent my QSC back to get a 2 way bearing installed and then I got sick so I haven't put them back in yet. I will put them back in this week. I miss the power off the line from the QSC/STM and the ability to hold RPM's.......my stock clutches have always worked well but nothing like the QSC/STM setup.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm loving it....I actually have been running the stock clutches for the past few weeks because I sent my QSC back to get a 2 way bearing installed and then I got sick so I haven't put them back in yet. I will put them back in this week. I miss the power off the line from the QSC/STM and the ability to hold RPM's.......my stock clutches have always worked well but nothing like the QSC/STM setup.
My stockers were also good but agreed ....nothing like the upgraded clutches.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
What does the two-way bearing get you?
Where I ride, we have lots of up and down hill sections where coasting (freewheeling) down the hill is preferred over the engine braking. With the QSC and the STM primaries (not sure about the CVTech) the one-way bearing is much smaller than the OEM primary. So when the engine RPM's drop and the belt disengages, the one way bearing doesn't have enough surface area to prevent the belt from slipping.....so you run the risk of burning the underside of your belt. You can either opt to have a 2 way bearing installed, which will allow the vehicle to freewheel down the hill or you can just teach yourself to tap the throttle to re-engage the clutch/engine braking. With the 2 way bearing, you have the best of both worlds.....

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
you bet...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Where I ride, we have lots of up and down hill sections where coasting (freewheeling) down the hill is preferred over the engine braking. With the QSC and the STM primaries (not sure about the CVTech) the one-way bearing is much smaller than the OEM primary. So when the engine RPM's drop and the belt disengages, the one way bearing doesn't have enough surface area to prevent the belt from slipping.....so you run the risk of burning the underside of your belt. You can either opt to have a 2 way bearing installed, which will allow the vehicle to freewheel down the hill or you can just teach yourself to tap the throttle to re-engage the clutch/engine braking. With the 2 way bearing, you have the best of both worlds.....
Something I need to remember for this weekend but with a little practice I should be good to go.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Something I need to remember for this weekend but with a little practice I should be good to go.
I doubt you will have any problems in the dunes....as you are probably descending at a much higher rate of speed than what I tend to do. We have some pretty steep hills that have washouts, ruts, rocks etc....so you tend to almost come to a stop on some of them and then coast over the obstacle using only brake control. It is just un-nerving to think you need to accelerate to get the engine brake to engage on some of these descents. Freewheeling and manual braking control works best for me in situations like this. There are also sections of trail that have a significant grade for upwards of 3-4 miles so you can actually let the engine idle and then coast down the mountain for 5-10 minutes straight. With a one way bearing setup, you could never do this. You would have to stop and put it in neutral and hope you had enough grade to get it coasting again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts