Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored a smoking deal on a weld it yourself cage from Cagewrx back in June. Finally have time to work on it. Luckily I have a friend that likes to weld and it helping me.

You have off most of the body to get the cage off. Can Am could not made it more of a pain in the ass and I can see why cage builders and shops charge so much to install a cage.

Got all the body work off and cut the cage off last Friday. Rivets and body panels = a few f’bombs and a chisel after they spin on the drill bit. Lol!

Tonight I grinded the residuals of the cage off the mounting plates. We then got the cage set up so it can be welded. We (my friend) will start welding it later this week.

Super impressed on the Cagewrx set up. All the tubes are notched and indexed for a perfect fit.

I will post more as the project progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cage chopped after killing a sawzall blades. LOL! Checkout that awesome .60 wall thickness!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now the fun of cutting off the remaining bits of the cage and grinding the mounting plates. Let the sparks fly!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got all the tubes lined up and strapped together. Everything pieces together pretty easily with the Cagewrx kit. They have the tubes indexed so you know exactly where they need to be. My friend will start welding it later this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, I don't think so. But Brian could be Dave's almost twin brother. Hard to see with the sparks flying. Nice cage!
That is my old ass grinding behind the sparks. So Dave’s shorter twin. Lol!

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Shock tower brace and gusset kit at the same time by chance?
I already have a gusset kit from HMF on there. I do have the CT bomb proof gusset kit that I could install. Debating on whether to put it on or not. No shock tower brace. I have 4,000 miles on my X3 and the front seems to be holding up.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I already have a gusset kit from HMF on there. I do have the CT bomb proof gusset kit that I could install. Debating on whether to put it on or not. No shock tower brace. I have a 4,000 miles on my X3 and the front seems to be holding up.

At 4000 miles sounds like things are holding up well.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Good looking cage, x3 looks funny naked ,

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Good looking cage, x3 looks funny naked ,
Try driving it with no seats and cage. I had to move it out of the garage to the side yard for the grinding. I used a medicine ball as a seat. Sketchy stuff. LOL!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looking really good. So when this is all done, will the cage be removable, or it welded in addition to the bolts?

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking really good. So when this is all done, will the cage be removable, or it welded in addition to the bolts?
It will be removable. Cage is welded to the mounting plates supplied by Cagewrx. Mounting plate bolts onto the frame.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts