Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a new Cage I designed for the Maverick. I was looking for feed back trying to figure out people stylings on the Mavericks.

aSXS1_CanAM_Cage_1.jpg aSXS1_CanAM_Cage_2.jpg aSXS1_CanAM_Cage_3.jpg aSXS1_CanAM_Cage_4.jpg aSXS1_CanAM_Cage_5.jpg

·
Registered
317 Posts
Love the arch in the top of the cage where the roof is, but not a fan of the curved intrusion bars, or the curved bars in the back that go to the rear bumper.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Personally I would rather see the back stays straight. If they are straight they are stronger in compression in the event of an end over end crash.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Side...

It looks great! One of a kind so to speak .... But, that's because it not very functional from the standpoint of being a structural cage. The curved sections of the assembly are pretty much non-functional as structural members. If it weren't for the straight chords inside the front and rear of the cage you would just have a 'spring' and very little, if any, protection from a 'wheels up' situation. As I mentioned, that's why you don't see any curved sections in any tube-frame builds. If you need to accomplish a curved section, you use multiple, short, straight sections to accomplish it. That has it's own set of problems. You can incorporate curves into cages (as in the maverick) but they are never as strong as straight chord sections. Nice work though!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Overall it's cool. If the rear bars that head towards the bumper were straight it would look much more balanced with the front of the cage. If you made that change and the overall height was 2-3" lower than a factory cage I'd be buying one! Nice work.

Brandon

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I like it all except the radiused bars going to the rear bumper.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Yup the back is funny looking rest is nice

·
Registered
713 Posts
I agree with all these guys. It's not bad, the back bars are too much for me. I think they would look better straight. I've never been a fan of radius cages though. I watched a Rhino with a radius cage roll end over end several times. the roundness of the cage added a few rolls to it. If it had been a straight roof it may have slowed it down some.

That's just me

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your thoughts, Couple of the things I was looking at was a plate between the B-pillar the bar to bumper in the top corner like a rear shock mount plate like on a sandrail for more strength and figure a way out to attach the top of the bumper to the chassis just under the bed for another connection point to help if you landed on the rear. My thoughts were main structural safety for the passenger compartment the rear tubes were more of cosmetics with safety, since most cages dont have the rear section to bumper like a stock cage and other aftermarket cages with out bumpers. I built it to be unique and not to copy other people out there and used the curve to follow the plastics almost with in a 1/4 inch in rear. It is also 3.5 inchs lower than a stock cage. Looks like the next cage will be with straight bars in rear.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts