Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a leftover new Maverick X3 900 HO and can't seem to find a lot of info on them. I am going to trail ride only and am not into major mudding or rock crawling. From what I can tell, the 900 HO would be a great entry level x3 for us to get into the sport with. We are planning on riding Windrock, Royal Blue & Hatfield McCoy and the 64" width seems to be great for that. Flat out speed is not what I am going to need obviously, but I would like to know what the top out is for the 900 HO if anyone knows. I understand that this model was a one year run and is no longer in production for 2019 and that worries me a tad. From my understanding, the majority of the parts are shared with the other x3 family thankfully and that should alleviate the majority of any future issues there. My main reasoning for going after the 900 is that I have a deal working for $14k out the door for a new unit and that is significantly less than the 120 hp turbo x3 even after the rebates. Any real world reviews, opinions and such would be greatly appreciated before I pull the trigger on the purchase. Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,703 Posts
Well, IMO, I understand that money dictates everything, but I would go with the 120hp base X3, and not the 900. The fact that CA / BRP isn't making them anymore, should say something. Yes, I know people bought them, but not enough. So, that means aftermarket parts will be few, and far between if you want some. That, and the fact that no matter where you ride, horsepower always comes into play, and people want more. You asked for an opinion. Good luck in your decision. Welcome too!

Reactions: BLR and HPnMORE4J

·
Registered
659 Posts
If it is in your price range, I say go for it. It should be plenty fast enough to keep up on the trails. After market parts will not be a problem. It is an X3 so other than the different widths, engines and shocks, wheels and tires, they are pretty much all the same. XC and XMR excluded. Stock parts should not be a problem, either. If after a while you want more HP, there are tunes available. I think it was a one year model only because the new Maverick Sport models fill the need for a non turbo offering in the Can Am lineup.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I ride HM and Outlaw trails near Indian Ridge trails to the tune of 3000 miles a year. One of my friends has the X3 900 HO. Perfect machine for the riding in WV.

I was going to buy the HO but could not get below $16k otd. At $14k I would have that instead of my X3 XMR. Reality is that I never use full throttle and rarely does my friend on his HO.

The HO is a great choice. If you are a person that likes messing wit the ”clickers” on shocks you will be disappointed - there is no adjustment. I see that as minor since i never adjust mine anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Like some have said I'd go a step further and get an X3 turbo...You don't have to use all the power but it's there just in case.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ride with three peeps who own turbo X3s. I think they're a blast when you can find a place to stretch their legs. But where we ride, the trail seems to be the great equalizer. In fact, I could argue the added HP hurts them a little.

My X3 performs best on the trail when I'm using the normal key in eco mode. I couldn't justify the added cost of a turbo. But if money is no object, I would get the turbo. : )

·
Registered
443 Posts
You know what at that price it's a great entry level machine parts are never going to be a problem it's an X3! And accessories are the same as an X3! the only thing it doesn't have is the turbo? if you don't need the power or long travel suspension it's a great intro to the SXS world for a trail machine it still has 18" of travel a 100hp witch only a few years ago was the max you could get till the turbo's came along!!!! Speed wise it should do 60-70 no prob it will just take a little longer to get there.....

I say go for it you get a brand new car a warranty and all the comforts of the X3 it's still much better then a non turbo RZR in that price range!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Have you considered the Sport model? May be more suited to your driving style with better visibility and comfort.

A 900 (non-turbo) X3 will be tough to sell some day. My dealer had a really hard time moving theirs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the response everyone. I understand the reasons of going with the turbo models and I've even written down what the costs to upgrade the 900 could be. In the end, I could get a leftover 2018 X3 Turbo base model that retails at $20k with tbd current $3k rebate for $17k. That only puts me $3k above what I'm working with on the 900 HO deal. The only things that I really see that are upgraded would be the 120 up turbo, larger tires, nicer gage cluster and LED signature front lighting. To get into the smart lock front diff models, in another few grand above the turbo base. Being in the automotive business, it's like buying the work truck or one step up vs the luxury or high trim level. One major thing I didn't mention is that I'm actually trying to get two matching models for the family. That's another financial consideration when $14k each is like getting the two for the price of one turbo r!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey OP, i bought one of the leftover HOs and took delivery last weekend. As a first time utv owner, i am VERY impressed with this machine - i think it has plenty of power to rip through the dry river beds in AZ, whem you lay on the throttle, she just wants to go. Also, I couldnt beleive the grade of hills it climbs without blinking, overall an incredible machine. For the money, you cant beat it. I was a bit over 16 OTD on a 12,999 sales price. My only frame of reference prior to buying the 900 was a buddys 2018 rzr xp1k and to be honest, from a seat of the pants perspective the 900 feels just as capable and fast as that model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My biggest fear when i was contemplating my purchase was not having enough power, and maybe i dont know what im missing with the 120 turbo, but this motor feels really really strong and far surpassed my expectations. Not having the signature lights and the janky speedo is really my only complaint with the machine, but those can be added on for a couple hundred bucks down the road.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
My biggest fear when i was contemplating my purchase was not having enough power, and maybe i dont know what im missing with the 120 turbo, but this motor feels really really strong and far surpassed my expectations. Not having the signature lights and the janky speedo is really my only complaint with the machine, but those can be added on for a couple hundred bucks down the road.

Hey at the end of the day if you're happy the way your SxS works that's all that matters...Enjoy and keep the rubber side down!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
My story as follows, I bought a new Commander 800 about 4 years ago ( probably 75ish horsepower ) and loved it. Went to buy a New regular Maverick 100hp and the dealer changed the deal the day I was to pick it up. Went to another Dealer and bought the 120hp Base that same day. I have had it a year this spring. It has plenty of power but I am still going to pump it up to 190hp just because it doesn't cost that much and the more the merrier. The nice thing about the 120 is it gives you so much versatility if you ever decide you want more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts