Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Need Help!

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Funtime noodle 69 
#1 ·
This is a photo of the passenger side of my new 2021 Smart Shox RR with about 50 miles. I was riding at my daughters house for a couple hours keeping the rpm’s down during the break in process. When I put it on the trailer to take it home I noticed this oil spot along with the splatter. I’ve driven it another 50 miles since and not seen any oil whatsoever and the oil levels are great. Is this something I should be concerned about and take it to the dealer or just keep an eye on it?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle tire Rim

See less See more
#2 ·
You sure its not coolant from the water pump weep hole? Before you ask, you might search and see its a common issue.

check all the bolts for proper torque in that area. Before you ask what are the specs, go buy a maintenance manual.

Now dont be lazy and take it to the dealer and let them have your machine until the warranty runs out, just for them to tell you nothing is wrong. Grab your big boy panties and put in some work.

#4 ·
Could be coolant, and it could be oil coming out of your filter cover. See if 1. The o-ring was pinched during assembly, or 2. The cover bolts aren't tight. I've helped a guy with a leak just like that, and it was his o-ring. Things happen.

Reactions: desertguy
#5 ·
Another vote for the oil filter housing here. (if it's for sure oil??)

No matter how much I prep for it, or dam the area with rags trying to keep ANY oil from spilling when I change the oil filter,,,, this is exactly what my car looks like for a couple wash cycles after an oil/filter change.

Takes a couple good cleanings to get all the oil residue out from the crevices in this area.

#6 ·
Some people do confuse oil and coolant right at that spot. Does look oily at second glance but it's hard to say in a picture for sure.

Oil filter cap is suspect as well like you guys say. But in my experience it's always coolant right at that spot every time coming from the weep hole. Oil can also come from the weep hole. Same shaft drives the water pump and the oil pump. Both systems are separated by seals.

Water pump seal goes and coolant comes out. Oil seal goes and oil will come out.

Hopefully it's a bit of coolant and it will stop. I get a few drops of coolant come out every 3 or 4 months randomly. Always stops though. Not enough for me to worry about tearing it down for repair. Fairly lengthy pain in the ass job to replace those seals. I've maybe lost a couple tea spoons of coolant over 4000+ miles and never had to add any. Same level it was on day one.

#8 ·
Water pump seal goes and coolant comes out. Oil seal goes and oil will come out.
Good point! I've only ever lost the coolant side seal (in other rides) so of course "that's all that can come out of the weep hole",,, in my mind. :rolleyes:

I try to avoid spraying BC on most things unless I can remove them from the car,,, especially if it's kind-of a blind area I'm spraying into such as around the Oil Filter housing. I may give this a try tho since I hate oil on sh!t. Thanks for the tip! (y)

#11 ·
See this thread:

It’s interesting to see how many of us experience the same remedial things on our cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.