Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a video or any info on the removal and installation of the little wear ring that goes on the front drive shaft end and into the front diff. I pulled my front diff and replaced all the seals, I didn't replace the wear ring. I got it back together and had most of the diff fluid leak out at the pinion seal. I moved the diff back and pulled the shaft, there are two light grooves in the wear ring, apparently that's causing the leak ?...It didn't leak a drop prior. How the heck do you get the ring on and off ? I use heat, pliers, pipe wrench, chisel and it didn't budge......I finally used a Dremel cutoff tool to split it and pull it off.

putting the new one on......it does not want to go on....I heated it with a torch to expand it....no help, I put it on the end where it goes with grease on it and banged it with a rubber mallet and it went on about a 1/4 inch and that's all......now its dented and my rubber mallet is chewed up

what's the trick to getting this bitch on ????? It doesn't tell me in the shop manual either and I think pressing it on will distort the edges. Thanks in advance gear heads of infinite knowledge !!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sooooooo anyone care to share the secret for getting the wear rings off and back on ?

Thank in advance !

Happy Friday !

·
Registered
2020 72' XMR RR
18 Posts
Done several on my Outty...sounds crazy but it works...put the driveshaft in the freezer overnight and the next day use a torch to get the ring super hot it will slide right on but you need to be quick about it.. and the old ones I just gently use a cutoff wheel to remove

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not crazy at all ......I’ve done that with hubs and bearings. I was looking for another way prior that as a last resort , I was trying to do it without removing the driveshaft from the vehicle .....again :(

·
Registered
2020 72' XMR RR
18 Posts
Well any way to get it super cold will work...a bottle of gas?...freezer is cheaper tho lol...I was like you first time around I beat the hell out if it with a hammer and 2x4 and had to buy a new one.

·
Registered
2020 72' XMR RR
18 Posts
I did get a cheap press from harbor freight to do wheel bearings but have not tried it on wear rings either way i guess it's a no win for not having to pull it out of the buggy

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sometimes if you peen the sleeve on opposite sides, it will stretch a bit and can be removed. Also, good idea to put a bit of sealant on the yoke before pressing the new sleeve on to prevent oil from weeping between them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts