Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
sorry to bother u guys with this but im really stuck!! first some quick info about me. i live in WV and just sold my teryx and in the market for new sxs. i am wanting something to trail ride and have some overall fun on but also use during huntin season to get back and forth to my stands and throw a deer in and haul off the hill. where i ride its a bunch of rough trails, rutted, rocky, off camber, and can be a little tricky at times but also can open up and be some fun high speed cruising and obviously a fair amount of hills to climb.....now to the issue. i was initially goin to get a commander x. i was sold on the QE diff, power steering, storage, etc. however when i got to see a maverick in person...well it was love at first sight. then i realized i could get a dear on the back and get the same accessories for it as the commander. the only thing missing is the power steering and QE. so i started leaning back towards the commander for that reason. however, i have come across a good price on the maverick and even talked to an local shop about power steering install. so my problem now....what to get. does anyone here have in seat time with commander x and maverick and thoughts about best overall vehicle for here in the WV hills. i know the commander has way more utitlity and the maverick is goin be more sport oriented. im just starting to think that is will be easier to go sport route and give it a touch of utlity than go utility and make it sportier. im just torn. the other thing is..i could get commander x and get all the add ons i want with a little spare $$ same goes for base maverick. however if i go xrs i will have to hold off on a few little things until later.... main thing is i want my $$$ well spent with no regrets.

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
U can install power steering and a qe diff yourself in a few hrs and have everything u want. Or have dealer add it before u pick it up

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Aftermarket ps is 600 $ and its better then the factory ps and I would drive one without the qe diff for a little bit most people don't need it unless your doing slow steep rock crawling

·
Registered
403 Posts
Don't buy a Commander. I absolutely hated mine, and swore to never buy another Can Am product.

As a part of the deal on the Maverick I just bought, I had the dealer provide a QE, and free labor to install the QE and a power steering kit from SuperATV that I provided. If the free labor doesn't work out, the install isn't that hard to do yourself. I just didn't have extra time to install it all myself.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I would rather have the sportiness of the Mav, and make it work for hunting, than settle for a more utility type vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys! im goin work on the ps install as part of the deal. but a local parts shop said the super atv was ok but he recommended another brand, said it was better built...but it cost 900.00. not sure i am buying it. cuz i've read nothing but positive things on here about super atv ps. i appreciate all ur input! and in regards to the first post...if my deer is cooked by the time i get off the hill...well i guess dinner will be ready when i get to the house!! :big smile:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Super Atv Power steering is top notch and works absolutely flawless.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I live in WV, I had a commander X. It was fine but I think I would buy a RZR rather than go back to one after the Mav. It is so much better in every way. Get power steering, and a clutch ASAP. Forget the QE, you only need it for rock crawling, or if your a 100% mud guy. I haven't been in any situation where I needed it. I wish I had it, but if you just understand how to operate your machine you can make it without it.

Where are you in WV?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I loved my Commander X. Uf i stull hunted a bunch i would have prob kept it... Its not that much slower plus with over-fenders u dint get muddy and the bed u can haul whatever u want... Try and throw a dear in the bed of a mav. For one if u don't tear all the fenders off i will be real surprised... It has no utility function other than hauling beer

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I loved my Commander X. Uf i stull hunted a bunch i would have prob kept it... Its not that much slower plus with over-fenders u dint get muddy and the bed u can haul whatever u want... Try and throw a dear in the bed of a mav. For one if u don't tear all the fenders off i will be real surprised... It has no utility function other than hauling beer
It does do well hauling beer...:)

Reactions: Whattha

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
So your saying the Mav is GREAT for BEER hunting?:smile:
I'm not sure there is any side by side on the market better for beer hunting. :)

Reactions: AReed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in north central wv...yeah the Mav is def tall in the rear end and I will be beer hunting too!! But i saw i guy use a pulley he rigged up and his winch to get A deer into the back of his rzr 900..so its a thought and I've considered rzr 900 but many of my friends have them n def had their fair share of problems etc... Seems like they nickel n dime them constantly. To throw another curve ball I was picking up some parts for my dad and the local arctic cat dealer threw a nice price at me on a wildcat x! Absolutely no utility there I know... But it had me looking at how I could pretzel a deer into that small rear cargo space! Well sounds like there are def a lot of good opinions here. I have a lot of options to weigh in n think about

1 - 15 of 15 Posts