Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In September we will embark on our third X-country odyssey from NY out west. Did it in 2017 and 2019, but in 17 went down to the Tail of the Dragon in NC and TN, on to Nashville finally landing in Moab to off road my then 2017 Ford Raptor.

In 2019 in my them ‘19 Ford Raptor we went straight across, through Colorado, and again to Moab, rented RZRs, did slot canyons and PWC in Lake Powell. Went up to Tooele for Raptor Assault off road school. It was the renting of the RZRs that convinced me I needed a SxS.

Both of the above trips were great. This trip will differ in that we are heading through the northern part of the country. Below are two maps. Leaning toward the more southern route to hit Mt. Rushmore. It will also differ in that I’ll be pulling, this time with my ‘20 Raptor my 16’ enclosed trailer with my XRC inside and looking to do some riding along the way. Anyone familiar with parts of the route that can suggest easy off highway places to go?

the first pic is the route I think we will take. Going to Mac Custom in Idaho to have tracks installed in trailer, and then Corbin to have street legal kit installed. My daughter and SIL live in Genesee, Idaho.

·
Premium Member
13,689 Posts
The only thing I could mention is fire danger. When you live in one area of the country, folks don't usually follow anywhere else. You're not going into California, so that's a good thing. But other areas of the country do have blazes going. Best to check, nothing would ruin your trip quicker than having to divert from your intended route.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ty. We will definitely look into that. We have been following the fires out west. And I realize what I’m asking is a big ask. Just hoping to get lucky.

·
Premium Member
13,689 Posts
Ty. We will definitely look into that. We have been following the fires out west. And I realize what I’m asking is a big ask. Just hoping to get lucky.
Yeah, without a doubt! Just gather all the data you can, and then make your trip memorable!

Reactions: MDJAK

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
heard there are some awesome trails in the badlands. Are taking your time doing this trip or trying to get end to end quickly?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heard there are some awesome trails in the badlands. Are taking your time doing this trip or trying to get end to end quickly?
That’s actually a good question. Most of the time will be spent in Idaho where my SIL will show me trails. But I do want to do some riding on way there and back.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did you look at the Trans America Trail, the dual sport ride from tellico plains (recently moved from jellico) to coast of oregon? it goes by combination of roads and trails.
Trans-America Trail – Tellico Plains to Salida (jerryblewis.com)
TransAm Trail – with Sam Correro
What’s coincidental is, the Lodge at Tellico Plains is where I’ve twice stayed while doing the Tail of the Dragon. There is a sign in one of the rooms, which are spacious and beautiful, that says if you are smoking in the room you better be on fire.

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
134 Posts
Lots of riding in Idaho... A lot of our trails are 50" restricted so double check before you set out for the day. Can't remember the website off hand buy look for old fire lookouts online... You can ride to several and rent them to stay in for a night. Most have the best views around and trails can be a blast.

Reactions: danielgX3 and MDJAK

·
Registered
2018 X3 Turbo 120 HP
5 Posts
If you're going across I-90 at the 33 Montana Mile Post, the town of St Regis has Super 8. From there, there's lots of riding. My favorite ride takes me up to Little Joe Mt., which is 7,100 ft. elevation. On a clear day you can see all the way up to the entirety of Glacier National Park. Which means that you're looking into Canada, from a point South of I-90. Pretty amazing view, especially at night if you're a stargazer. Keep in mind there are lots of bear. Have seen quite a few, but they don't want to be near and run away quick. Not sure if a 74" machine, or tracks would make the last leg of that particular trail. All others that are 50" are well marked. Hit me up if you are thinking of stopping in St Regis. If I'm still here working, I have weekends off. or I could point you towards the trail. There's tons of other riding in the area also.

Dan

·
Registered
2018 X3 Turbo 120 HP
5 Posts
Just got back from a ride today. Got lucky and caught the crew updating the "closed postings". He showed me the map and it has Idaho side of the state line closed, and Montana side open. That is in this area here. Although my home is very near Coeur D Alene, I am never there, so don't know what the closures are there. By the time you get up there, it will likely be back open. If not, the St Regis MT area has tons of riding. It's 90 minutes East of CdA. Got a nice 48 mile ride in this afternoon. If I knew how to share the Polaris Ride Command link, I would.

Dan

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Dan. First, thank you very much. I90 is exactly how we will be coming in as we are going to Sandpoint to drop trailer to get tracks installed on floor at Mac Custom. Planning on also going near Couer D Alene to Corbin to have street legal kit installed on X3. When you say state line closed, you mean trails right? Yes, we will not be coming until 2nd week in September. I think we are leaving the 13th or 14th and will take 5 days to get there. I will definitely post when we are approaching the area. Thanks again.
Mark

·
Registered
2018 X3 Turbo 120 HP
5 Posts
Hi Dan. First, thank you very much. I90 is exactly how we will be coming in as we are going to Sandpoint to drop trailer to get tracks installed on floor at Mac Custom. Planning on also going near Couer D Alene to Corbin to have street legal kit installed on X3. When you say state line closed, you mean trails right? Yes, we will not be coming until 2nd week in September. I think we are leaving the 13th or 14th and will take 5 days to get there. I will definitely post when we are approaching the area. Thanks again.
Mark
Hi Mark,
Yes, I was referring to the trails and Forest Service roads as approached from Montana.
Curious as to what Idaho wants to be street legal. I haven't been home yet, with the machine, to even explore that avenue. But I see them all over Spirit Lake, so when I do get home to stay.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wasn’t saying it needs to be street legal for Idaho. I just want to get the kit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you take a left at the Atlantic, there is some excellent riding in northern NH, and it's legal to ride on many of the roads up there. Colebrook, Dixville Notch, and Pittsburgh all have excellent trail systems, and you can ride from one to the other. Last weekend we camped in Stark and rode to Colebrook and Dixville Notch. We're all around there a few times a year, awesome trail systems and very UTV friendly.

Lots of ice and beer for sale everywhere, and I can only think of one time I saw a LEO with someone pulled over for a reg issue, otherwise very hands off. Oh and BTW, you can register your machine at the beer stores in about one minute, long live free or die NH!!!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just passed through St. Regis a couple days ago.
I recently moved to Eastern Washington, not far from Spokane.

Cheers!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you take a left at the Atlantic, there is some excellent riding in northern NH, and it's legal to ride on many of the roads up there. Colebrook, Dixville Notch, and Pittsburgh all have excellent trail systems, and you can ride from one to the other. Last weekend we camped in Stark and rode to Colebrook and Dixville Notch. We're all around there a few times a year, awesome trail systems and very UTV friendly.

Lots of ice and beer for sale everywhere, and I can only think of one time I saw a LEO with someone pulled over for a reg issue, otherwise very hands off. Oh and BTW, you can register your machine at the beer stores in about one minute, long live free or die NH!!!!!
View attachment 271329 View attachment 271330
I very much appreciate that. My son went to Plymouth State University in NH. NH was for many years our go to vacation destination as we are in NY. We were up in Jackson June of 2020 when I rode my ATV up Mt. Washington. I used to get my ATVs registered there, did that last year for the ride up Mt. Washington as it said it needed to be but wound up they didn’t check. I am planning on going back in 2 weeks to Jackson, a favorite inn of ours, and then trailer over to Gorham where I’m told there are trails. I will def check out your recommendations. Thanks again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I posted the following on the Northeast thread but figured I might get more info here.

I'm heading up to NH on the 26th. Staying in Jackson. Getting first service done near Conway in Profile Powersports. Also getting the registration there. Will then ride Sunday near Gorham.

Anyone know of off-roading for trucks around there? I'm going up in my Ford Raptor (it's what pulls my trailer obviously lol) and when the X3 is in for service on Saturday, besides hitting, hopefully, the alpine slide at Attitash, which I haven't done in too many years, I'd love to do some off roading in the Raptor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In September we will embark on our third X-country odyssey from NY out west. Did it in 2017 and 2019, but in 17 went down to the Tail of the Dragon in NC and TN, on to Nashville finally landing in Moab to off road my then 2017 Ford Raptor.

In 2019 in my them ‘19 Ford Raptor we went straight across, through Colorado, and again to Moab, rented RZRs, did slot canyons and PWC in Lake Powell. Went up to Tooele for Raptor Assault off road school. It was the renting of the RZRs that convinced me I needed a SxS.

Both of the above trips were great. This trip will differ in that we are heading through the northern part of the country. Below are two maps. Leaning toward the more southern route to hit Mt. Rushmore. It will also differ in that I’ll be pulling, this time with my ‘20 Raptor my 16’ enclosed trailer with my XRC inside and looking to do some riding along the way. Anyone familiar with parts of the route that can suggest easy off highway places to go?

View attachment 271105
View attachment 271106
the first pic is the route I think we will take. Going to Mac Custom in Idaho to have tracks installed in trailer, and then Corbin to have street legal kit installed. My daughter and SIL live in Genesee, Idaho.
you will be about 2 hours from my house. Deary Idaho, tiny little town everyone rides around. Elk river has drag races (literally end of the paved road). gravel roads between small towns.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts