Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Wildcat 1000, and I am looking to join the Maverick 1000 family. I worked out a deal where it is not more painful than it has to be on my trade in, but there is a problem. I have a 19 foot enclosed trailer that I use to trailer my toys. The Wildcat fits in perfectly, the Maverick is too tall. I don't have room for another trailer, and if I try to trade in the trailer or sell it I'll take yet another blood bath I am not prepared to take. It's really close to fitting.

So my thought is this. What if I used some straps to squat the Maverick down enough to get it loaded? Would this damage it? How long could I leave it strapped down? Will they always go back to where they should be when I release them? If this will work I will be joining the Can-Am family Monday. What do you guys think?

Thank you very much guys.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You can buy a lower cage. Or chop the stock one down. Or air down the tires. Or bolt on some quad tires. Or make wheels out of 3/4" plywood that are a very small diameter.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When you say its too tall, how much too tall is it?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
also if u need 1-2'' just soften up the suspension It needs it from stock anyways

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the suggestions so far, but all are less ideal than simply squatting it down for a bit. Since no one answered that should I assume its a bad idea?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
how much room do u need?

the maverick is 74'' hi

how high is your area?

what were u thinking u wanted to do to make it fit in ?

theres tons of ways to make it work its all in how much room u need, & how handy you are !

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My plan was to use straps and crank it down the 3-5 inches I need so it will go in the door. I may release it inside, or leave it like that for the trip to where I go to ride. I have to trailer it everywhere since I am not lucky enough to be able to just ride from my doorstep. So I'd hook up 2 straps to like the cage and something by the wheel and force it down a few inches.....will that damage the shocks if they are held in a compressed state?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My plan was to use straps and crank it down the 3-5 inches I need so it will go in the door. I may release it inside, or leave it like that for the trip to where I go to ride. I have to trailer it everywhere since I am not lucky enough to be able to just ride from my doorstep. So I'd hook up 2 straps to like the cage and something by the wheel and force it down a few inches.....will that damage the shocks if they are held in a compressed state?
It should be fine. Just don't hook the strap to the middle of the a arm. Either hook it to the end of the a arm, or see if you can loop the strap through the wheel.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Compressing the suspension will do much less damage then bouncing down the trail. Your only talking a few inch's here. Setting your spring preload is doing the same thing. In other words there is no concern, have at it. Have someone stand on the end your compressing to make it easyer.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would just let the air out of the tires.. If that doesnt work, id does need a couple inches let out of the shocks...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wildcat

What is it that you didn't like about your wildcat?
Well, first the obvious. 77 HP vs 101 HP. The ride probably is better on the Wildcat, but in MN the trails are smooth most of the time so power is where it's at. The turning radius is horrible, and the clutch is weak. So sure I could fix a lot of this, but at the end of the day if I invest 10 grand in a wildcat it's a waste of money that I'll never get back. I don't like doing aftermarket upgrades to stuff unless I am keeping it for a long time. The wildcat was a sinking ship...I had the 2012 so the value was dropping daily on it. I tried to trade it in on a Wildcat X and the Arctic Cat dealer gave me a bid of $7000 on a machine that had 200 miles on it and is flawless. I also have new 8 ply ITP tires on it, the T-bar installed for the passenger, and I bought the 3 year extended warranty.

So I went to one of the biggest dealers around and took a long shot. They generally are terrible on price so I told them what it would take to earn my business. I trade in my 12 Wildcat and pay $2800 out of pocket cash and it gets me a base Maverick. I was shocked when they agreed yesterday. Only to realize it would not fit in my trailer. If I put bead lock wheels on I'd want better looking rims so the XRS package did not appeal to me. The motor and overall look is what I wanted and will get. Now that I don't need to drop another 5 grand on a trailer, I am a happy camper.

That seems like a reasonable deal doesn't it fellas? $2800 cash and get a Maverick? Carry over 2012 cats are selling for 12k now btw....they can't give them away. What do you guys think? The Maverick is going to hold value better, and the Wildcat will get worse and worse and worse till I'm stuck....that's my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree the Maverick should have a better resale value but holding its value? I doubt any SxS will do that. Every brand takes a hit in value when new models get released. Watch what happens when the new Rzr comes out later this year

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh I agree. But it will be a different tune when I am in the middle of the pack or near the top performance wise, versus picking up the rear and eating everyone's dust. I think the wildcat is a nice machine, the 2012's have no value since the 13's have 90 HP now and a whole new clutch. The wet clutch delete is a 2 grand process for those of us that their tool box consists of a pen and a checkbook. And that only fixes the clutch, it's still dog slow. I'm glad it's gone..and I couldn't help myself and switched my purchase to the XRS. Can't wait.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lower seat and cut cage down as far as possible. best mod to handling i think you can do. Solve two problems at once. Mines 69in floor to roof

1 - 20 of 20 Posts