Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to install a set of these cams in a 16' Turbo. I just got a set and thinking about doing it my self. Is there any videos, how to's, etc. Thanks in advance. P.S My local dealer wants 400.00 to install these. Figured it would be a nice chunk of money to save.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Pull a valve cover off and take a look . If your a bit mechanically inclined you should not have any trouble .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Your going to need a service manual if your trying to diy it. Explaining the process on here would be tough but the job is fairly easy.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Anyone have the Service Manual for the 2015/2016 XDS? I have the 13 manual, probably close enough?? Like to read up on the process and see what is involved. Any details or helpful hints would be nice too.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
They are easy to install, I sell a timing tool for $20., to set the cam timing with, otherwise you'll need the tool from brp, & they claim it's over $250.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
MR: rpm what does your tool do . I have changed dozen's of timing chains on the 800 atv's
So I had the cam gears off while changing the chains and guides .
What am I missing ?

·
Administrator
2,398 Posts
MR: rpm what does your tool do . I have changed dozen's of timing chains on the 800 atv's
What am I missing ?

If it is this one in picture, it's a fail safe method to index the cam once the timing of crank is set...does the same thing as paying attention to the cam sprocket line to head surface being parallel that we are use to doing, but eliminates trial and error of experimenting with the cam gear to chain indexing.

These are my tools and is next to the ring compressor....can't believe it lists for close to $200 if we are talking the same tool!! I paid less than $200 for all tools in the picture, and they are genuine BRP tools.... Sheesh!!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What am I missing ?

You're missing the fact that the new motors are three bolt, insteada one bolt. he three bolts have slotted holes, so you can put cam timing spot on, doesn't matter if heads or cylinders are decked or not.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
If your going to buy cams why wouldn't you put in Mr RPM's cams in? I haven't been following how they turned out but he was working on a new cam for these turbo motors if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If your going to buy cams why wouldn't you put in Mr RPM's cams in? I haven't been following how they turned out but he was working on a new cam for these turbo motors if I remember correctly.
I just asked Greg in a PM if his cams are similar or have similar results as the NA cams in the Turbo and he said no. So maybe he will jump in and clarify the HP difference between his cams and the NA ones? And which route is better to go specifically for his stage II setup? Id rather ask in one of the forums rather than PM so everyone gets the answer.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
You're missing the fact that the new motors are three bolt, insteada one bolt. he three bolts have slotted holes, so you can put cam timing spot on, doesn't matter if heads or cylinders are decked or not.
Thanks , just the info I wanted .
Of coarse the 800 outy's that I have worked on are older units .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts