·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this bike is:
stock lift
stock clutches & axles
32" terminators

we put it thru the test this weekend , clutches never gave me 1 single problem as being weak. what I saw was a lot of people smoking belts this weekend on the ride, but majority didn't understand that just a little gas pedal is a lot better than poundin on it. all they had to do was let the tires do the work. I never smoked my belt, and we are working with good ole Mississippi gumbo and sub-soiled fields to get where we were going. I did get a little close to testing factory snorkles, that was a little close for comfort, but to get to a duck hole and slough we rode in, when I hit the ole ditch, it wasn't any turning around.

I say stock clutch is fine as long as you know that when your completely stuck , your completely stuck. I never had that problem this weekend. You have to remember,... its not "when in doubt , throttle out!"

the new QE differential,.... the bomb!!!! I loved it, and you can see the 32" terminators sticking out and I never seen either one miss a single rotation .

eps.... awesome also, took a lot of the snatch out of the steering when your in the big ruts

only downfall I saw of the whole ride, was the sway bars, I will make a quick disconnect somehow, a couple time while climbing out of the ditches that put me close to strait up and down, I noticed the sway bars binding the long travel.

don't know if anything is changed from the 13 model down , but I never ran into any issues of overheating in 70 degree weather here ( I know, not to hot), but my radiator at some points was completely blocked by rice and corn stalks that were floating in the fields we hit.

other than that... im ready for mud fest and mud nats!

Reactions: cholber1

·
Registered
367 Posts
nice writeup MD
post up some pics for us

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only pic I got a change to get up was this one, parked it overnight and the bottom fell out, so nature's carwash did some of the hard work
MAVERICKMUDDY.jpg

Reactions: Tbtexas.com

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Nice! Finally heard from someone with larger tires and stock clutching did ok. I put 30 inch motoclaws with kore's. I haven't drove it yet but also I don't mud like you did. I trail ride with mild hills here in Michigan so I should be ok until I get the funds for clutching. Thanks for the write up.

Reactions: MUD_DYNASTY

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep you will be fine! I ride with 4 commander 1000's all on stock clutching and 29.5 terms or 30 backs and no probs at all either, and another maverick on 30 moto monsters

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I dont believe anyone ever said the stock clutching wont work with the bigger tires, but you will loose some performance. Most when trying to get them rolling.I think it is still possible in some situations even with aftermarket cluthcing to smoke you belt. The better clutches will just give you a wider margin for error before you have a problem.

Reactions: MUD_DYNASTY

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, that is true, but a lot of people are quick to say that with larger tires you must have clutch work done, I just don't want anyone not getting into our sports or fun hobbies thinking that we must spending thousands and thousands just to have fun. anyone can do it B.O.B style.... balling on a budget lol

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Oh I know I will lose a little perforformance that's a given. You just read all the post about it and you start thinking. I'm going to definitely upgrade my clutches just can't do it right now. Then I'm not sure if I want to do a dalton kit, stock primary with stm secondary or go full stm or cvtech/stm. Just kinda overwhelming and it's a big purchase just want to get the best bang for my buck that's all.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I was lucky and my stock clutches didn't give me any problems other than the fact i am at elevation and the Maverick comes stock for sea level. I went with the QSC/STM setup and never looked back. It is like a totally different machine. If you can afford it buy the full QSC/STM or STM/STM setup. If you can't, then plan ahead and get the STM secondary now and the QSC/STM primary at a later time. But you will be happy with the performance if set up properly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, as soon as I have a issue, hopefully I wont, but im gonna do the clutch work just to have done. when im riding roads or backroads I swap back to the 27" stockies

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I hear ya. It is a spendy upgrade so if some guys need to ride it for awhile before dropping that kind of cash I get it. But it does help with improved performance and I believe it also helps with reliability or just peace of mind especially when running bigger tires. Like Heavy said, If you buy the secondary first then yo need to plan ahead know what primaryyou may get in the future.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was lucky and my stock clutches didn't give me any problems other than the fact i am at elevation and the Maverick comes stock for sea level. I went with the QSC/STM setup and never looked back. It is like a totally different machine. If you can afford it buy the full QSC/STM or STM/STM setup. If you can't, then plan ahead and get the STM secondary now and the QSC/STM primary at a later time. But you will be happy with the performance if set up properly.
Heavy,
Do you know if I need to recalibrate the primary if running the stm secondary only for now? Or do you set up the stm secondary for the stock calibration of the primary?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I hope that last post makes sense.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Heavy,
Do you know if I need to recalibrate the primary if running the stm secondary only for now? Or do you set up the stm secondary for the stock calibration of the primary?
I want to say that if your stock setup is working for you now that you would want to leave the primary weights and spring alone and would only need to mate it up with the appropriate spring and helix combo on the secondary. But sine I have not tried this myself and I am by no means a tuner, i would highly recommend you give Kris a call and get his take on it. I know there was a thread in here a month or so ago were some of the desert racers who run this setup shared there setups as well.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ok sounds good ill pm kris and see what he says, thanks heavy I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I think the secondary is set for the oem primary, but if you upgrade the primary, the secondary will need to be retuned
I was talking about an stm secondary. That would def have to be calibrated to work with the stock primary.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am running stock clutches and I did my own set up for my altitude with some help from a good guy on here and mine runs really really good. I see no reason to spend the extra money on after market clutches but then again it helps to understand how the clutches are suppose to work and what changes will do to it. I am very happy with every aspect of the clutching on mine.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I am running stock clutches and I did my own set up for my altitude with some help from a good guy on here and mine runs really really good. I see no reason to spend the extra money on after market clutches but then again it helps to understand how the clutches are suppose to work and what changes will do to it. I am very happy with every aspect of the clutching on mine.
You would be amazed at what an STM secondary would do to improve your back shifting over the OEM secondary..........where abouts do you live and ride? I am over in the Boise area but ride up in the mountains quite a bit so I ride anywhere from 2500ft to 6000ft.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts