Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to get my primary and secondary off to replace the recalled starter. I got the secondary bolt off with a ratchet strap and used the same method for the outer piece of the primary. The inner sheave was of course not coming off without the clutch puller tool. I ordered one from Holtz on Saturday and it was on my front porch today when I got home.
I watched the video on here from airdam and it looked easy enough. I hit the puller tool with my 1/2 inch cordless dewalt impact and it didn't budge.
Ok, some guys have said they had to tap on it pretty hard to get it to pop off. I fugged with that thing over and over. Killed 2 batteries beat the hell out of the sheave with a wood block and hammer. Recharged the batteries and kept at it.
Looked on the forum and saw that someone recommended to put a little grease on the tip of the puller tool, tried that, no luck.
I honestly didn't think it was going to come off. Then I remembered when I first joined the forum, reading that filling the void that the puller tool goes in with grease, caused enough pressure to help it pop off.
So I grabbed my grease gun and filled it up, wrapped the threads of the puller tool with tephlon tape and tried one more time.
It popped like nothing was even bound up.
Whoever posted that tip, thanx a bunch!
Had the starter out in about 10 minutes after cleaning the grease up.(it's not easy to get to the bolt holding it in).

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two dune trips, taken mostly apart and thoroughly cleaned after both. I didn't pick this toy up until the end of our season.
All my shit looks like showroom condition. It makes it easier to work on, change oil, check valves. It's a full day after our trips to clean everything up.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
OMG….that is cleaner than mine when I bought it! Oh, I posted the tip about the grease by the way….did the grease splatter everywhere on you?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG….that is cleaner than mine when I bought it! Oh, I posted the tip about the grease by the way….did the grease splatter everywhere on you?
Heavy, thanx for posting the knowledge.
I wanted it out there to other people that it worked for me when I thought that thing was never coming off. Glad everybody thinks it's clean, and it will be after every ride or trip, but not why I posted.
We ride on the Oregon coast and I clean everything up to keep the rust and corrosion at bay due to the salt content in the sand.

·
Registered
713 Posts
To remove my primary I used a blow torch and shot the flame down the primary bolt hole for about 15 secs, grabbed my rubber mallet and tapped it a few times and it fell off. You might want to try that.

BTW, the tie down method for getting the primary and secondary's bolts on or off works perfectly.

·
Registered
711 Posts
a better method, is to not use grease, but use water.

take a jack, jack the driver side of the machine up, fill the clutch up with water, put teflon tape on the puller, and run the puller in. works every time. use a blow gun to blow the water away and you are ready to rock and roll again. cleaning the grease out of the crank and clutch takes nearly an hour. here is a video on the RZR 900, you can see how i do them when i have a stubborn one. i know this is a XP900 and nobody cares about its clutch removal, BUT in the video i show you the water trick. very very helpful and informative. i have to use the water trick on can-ams every now and then. their clutch taper seats good, sometimes my impact wont budge it, and i have to grab the air impact. when it wont pop it off either i go straight to the water trick.

youtube : RZR xp 900 clutch disassembly

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Snowmobiles are the same way ive used the water trick before on an old machine with a stubbirn primary. Works real well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts