Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from an afternoon riding in the Southern California desert (Supersition). My first run today was by myself, and it was an absolute blast! I did 25 miles as fast as I can go, as I didn't have anybody to slow me down. The speed of the Mav is a total rush! It feels like my own personal Trophy Truck! It climbs anything I want it to as fast, or as slow as I want. And I find myself going 60 mph in little washes that you wouldn't think you can do any more than 40 mph. I ran 6 psi in the rear tires and 9 in front. My last trip in the dez I ran 9 psi in all tires. I like 6 in the back better. It rides a little smoother, and climbs like a tank. It simply has all the traction you need.
This thing is AMAZING!!! I'm noticing that 50 miles in the Mav feels like 200 did in my Rhino. In other words, I'm having more fun in it in a short amount of time. If anybody is on the fence about buying one, just do it.
I'm not liking the seat moving about do to the large rubber bumpers that it sets on. I want to machine some aluminum ones to replace the rubber. I also want to put spacers under the front of the seats like others have done to lean it back a little. And I'm going to disconnect the sway bar, and see if I like it better. A friend suggested that.
All in all I couldn't be any happier! I just keep shaking my head at how good this car is! It makes me miss my bachelor days when all I did was ride, lol! Although my wife does understand my off road addiction!
My second ride today was at nite, and we did about another 25 miles. This time I had a passenger with me, with a long travel Teryx in front, and a rhino in back. It was a good ride, although a little slower of course. We did some tight canyon crawling, and the Mav just seems to do everything a little easier. When you put long travel on a Rhino or Teryx, the steering kinda sucks. It just doesn't steer as easy as it did originally. The Mav on the other hand, steers excellent! There's no bump steer, and I still don't see any need for power steering.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
good im glad she's still going strong , i did move my seat back 1.25'' and leaned it back , feels great, !

·
Registered
613 Posts
Are you thinking about putting power steering on your maverick? I will be taking my first long ride tomorrow and would like your opinion.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely not. It steers so easy, and has no bump steer, that I just don't see any need for it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Glamisfan does your maverick make a clucking noise when your clutch first engages?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thanks for the info on the power steering i think i will wait and run it for a few months and see. The only deal is the wife has carpel tunnel.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
You got any pics of the modified seat?
shoot i will get sum , i drilled the (4) hole's 1.25'' back from current one's , u can see a big plate on the track hitting the railing to stop the seat , so u trim that with grinder 1'' back also , that gives u more room going back ,

then on the front 2 bolts i just stacked 5 washers each side and made it tilt back just perfect, so comfy, !

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had my second day of mountain riding with the Maverick. What a blast. We road 91 miles of old mining trails full of rocks, ruts, wash outs and some serious hill climbing. Way to much fun!
The Maverick performed flawlessly all the way up to 7400 feet. The ride and handling compared to my commander is incomparable. There just in 2 different worlds. However my commander turns around on a dime. The Maverick with the longer and wider stands takes some back and forth maneuvering on tight trails. But no big deal!

Now addressing the power steering question. I don’t know what can-am did but it does steer a lot easier. If all you do is dune riding it’s great. But hard trail and HIGH speed mountain riding it’s dangerous without power steering. PERIOD!

When you hit rocks and ruts at high speeds at certain angles it blows the steering wheel right out of your hands. My commander did the same thing. Years ago in our race cars when we added power assist steering it made life a lot easier. Steering wheel kick will break your thumbs if they’re in the way.

What I did with my commander I added the Wicked Built Electra steer and there Rack Zilla. Problem solved. Adding the power steering takes away all the steering wheel kick. All of it!

I spoke with the folks at Wicked Built Friday and they do have a Maverick so they are working on a unit for the Maverick. If you look at the front pilot shaft and differential there are at least 10 inch’s further forward so your commander unit will not work.

So have a blast everybody. Those folks on the fence need to pull there pants up and get in the game.
The Maverick is the real deal!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Great info... took mine out today and you can really feel it kick back on the tight rocky sections. I will probably wait about a month and get power steering.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Definitely not. It steers so easy, and has no bump steer, that I just don't see any need for it.
Thats how i felt, but being my first SxS I don't have anything to really compare it to.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had my second day of mountain riding with the Maverick. What a blast. We road 91 miles of old mining trails full of rocks, ruts, wash outs and some serious hill climbing. Way to much fun!
The Maverick performed flawlessly all the way up to 7400 feet. The ride and handling compared to my commander is incomparable. There just in 2 different worlds. However my commander turns around on a dime. The Maverick with the longer and wider stands takes some back and forth maneuvering on tight trails. But no big deal!

Now addressing the power steering question. I don’t know what can-am did but it does steer a lot easier. If all you do is dune riding it’s great. But hard trail and HIGH speed mountain riding it’s dangerous without power steering. PERIOD!

When you hit rocks and ruts at high speeds at certain angles it blows the steering wheel right out of your hands. My commander did the same thing. Years ago in our race cars when we added power assist steering it made life a lot easier. Steering wheel kick will break your thumbs if they’re in the way.

What I did with my commander I added the Wicked Built Electra steer and there Rack Zilla. Problem solved. Adding the power steering takes away all the steering wheel kick. All of it!

I spoke with the folks at Wicked Built Friday and they do have a Maverick so they are working on a unit for the Maverick. If you look at the front pilot shaft and differential there are at least 10 inch’s further forward so your commander unit will not work.

So have a blast everybody. Those folks on the fence need to pull there pants up and get in the game.
The Maverick is the real deal!!!
i realize that its wheelbase will make the turning radius a little diffrent but how much worse is it than the commander? and have you ridden an xp ? does it turn on par with it at least? good lord, the wildcat takes 40 acres to turn around ! other than that i didnt mind the cat at all. i had an commander xt as well and am a fan of can am myself . but im just hoping the turn radius isnt to ridiculous?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can Am has a chart that shows the Wildcat turning radius as 313" or 340", something like that, the Mav some where around 240", and the xp around 210".

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lighten up kellylman lol
I'm talking about extreme riding in really tight spaces. 2 of my riding buddy's have EP's and there the same way. The turning radius in the true sport models is the best in the business. My buddy who bought a Wildcat can't even ride with us most of the time. It's like turning a school bus around. There great in the dunes though. Also addressing the wheel kick again. All the manufacturers have the same problem. My buddy's with the XP's installed the Dragon fire power steering and there problem solved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts