Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
The dealer I had a deposit with in San Diego said I'd get mine in the middle of January. And I was second on the list. Didn't like that, so I did a little scrambling and brought one home!

pretty cool that they were open on Sunday!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just found this write up on another forum, some guy named Slacker. "Today I was invited with a few others to ride one of two production models in North America. :D:DThe way everything worked out I figure I put down around 60 miles in the Maverick Xrs. My take is that there is nothing in stock form that can take that machine in the desert. The suspension is absolutely unbeatable in the whoops at speed and the power is every bit that the XP offers up. The sound of the engine and exhaust are awesome and encourage you to push the Maverick harder and harder. Throttle response is immediate and engine builds RPMs quickly but the clutches take some time to make the machine gain speed. Top speed was around 73-75 and it was very comfortable cruising at 60-65mph. The steering is spot on and the geometry lends itself to easy turning with out power steering. The brakes are good and the engine braking is as good as anything on the market. I'm a rock guy and it's no secret that the Commander has a cruddy AWD system. The Mavericks AWD is far and away better and responds as a modern UTV should. Hopefully this change will be made on all of BRPs wheelers. The creature comforts are no less than a guy would expect from Can Am.No machine is perfect and I found a couple of things that I'd like to see dialed in. The throttle throw is very short. It makes rock crawling a bit dicey and minor speed changes take longer than they should to get dialed in. When your approaching some whoops and want to trim off just few mph it wants to slow down a lot and it required correction. This thing could use a little more tire coverage, in the mud you're gonna be covered after a good romp. All in all the Maverick is a home run in my book. It's a terror of fun to ride and it makes you want to ride the desert for fun, not because it's winter and everything else is closed. This machine could be a serious contender in the racing circuits with just a few mods. With a turbo that the aftermarket will no doubt be presenting soon it's going to be the most fun a guy can have on wheels. Dune and desert guys have a new machine to consider for sure:)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Went out to the Garage last night to say good night to my baby, and I just couldn't help myself. I picked up a wrench and started working on it. Those front plastic bumper wings are just unbearable to look at!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
O.....my......goodness!!!! This thing has a fram type flat-panel air filter. It also has a post filter. It's a separate little oiled foam filter that you can put in for Dusty or muddy conditions. More signs of attention to detail! I'll post pics of it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I know your probably drooling over it or riding it, but I would love to see some pics of it. I like seeing pics from owners instead of magazines and can am.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
O.....my......goodness!!!! This thing has a fram type flat-panel air filter. It also has a post filter. It's a separate little oiled foam filter that you can put in for Dusty or muddy conditions. More signs of attention to detail! I'll post pics of it when I get a chance.
So did you go on a short ride after work?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Agree with the post above about needing more tire coverage. An amazing amount of mud gets thrown into the cab (first hand experience from the test ride at the prairie city off road park). Way worse than I have experienced with quads... But that is a pretty small complaint :)

Ideally I would like can am quality and power, in a lower package, similar to the wildcat... In part because I felt like I was sitting up too high and in part because I want something that can fit on a trailer while in my garage. But there is no doubt it is an awesome machine as is.

Congrats on the maverick! Keep us drooling, err uhh, posted.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Is your truck rack custom? I might want to look into getting one.
Custom. I built it a couple weeks ago. My wife has a rzr 4, and I have this. I have a 28' pull behind toy hauler, so this is the only way to get both of them to the desert in one trip. Even though it's only a 15 minute drive to where we usually camp. I spent $300 on metal. I'm going to do a write up on it in a couple weeks from now.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So did you go on a short ride after work?
Sorry, no riding yet. Our main sewer drain plugged up last night. So I
lost a couple hours this afternoon dealing with that. Plus it's still a little to muddy here. Plus I started tearing it apart to install the harness bar and belts.

21 - 40 of 136 Posts