Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'll jack up the front end tomorrow to see if I can see how many rotations it takes to lock up. I'm leaving town on Thursday for a week, so I have 3 afternoons to do a little work on it and go for a little ride. And it just rained here, and I don't do mud!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealer I had a deposit with in San Diego said I'd get mine in the middle of January. And I was second on the list. Didn't like that, so I did a little scrambling and brought one home!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice machine man. I'm curious about how well the rear diff holds up. I went thru 3 on my Commander before I threw in the towel. All of this SxS competition is great for us as the consumer. There are things on each one I'd love to have.

Speaking of that, if you ever decide to get rid of those beadlocks hit me up.
This is supposed to be a larger diff and redesigned for that 101hp. And I do have a set of OMF billet beadlocks go on it. But I'll be saving the original beadlocks to go back on it when I sell it in a few. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just found this write up on another forum, some guy named Slacker. "Today I was invited with a few others to ride one of two production models in North America. :D:DThe way everything worked out I figure I put down around 60 miles in the Maverick Xrs. My take is that there is nothing in stock form that can take that machine in the desert. The suspension is absolutely unbeatable in the whoops at speed and the power is every bit that the XP offers up. The sound of the engine and exhaust are awesome and encourage you to push the Maverick harder and harder. Throttle response is immediate and engine builds RPMs quickly but the clutches take some time to make the machine gain speed. Top speed was around 73-75 and it was very comfortable cruising at 60-65mph. The steering is spot on and the geometry lends itself to easy turning with out power steering. The brakes are good and the engine braking is as good as anything on the market. I'm a rock guy and it's no secret that the Commander has a cruddy AWD system. The Mavericks AWD is far and away better and responds as a modern UTV should. Hopefully this change will be made on all of BRPs wheelers. The creature comforts are no less than a guy would expect from Can Am.No machine is perfect and I found a couple of things that I'd like to see dialed in. The throttle throw is very short. It makes rock crawling a bit dicey and minor speed changes take longer than they should to get dialed in. When your approaching some whoops and want to trim off just few mph it wants to slow down a lot and it required correction. This thing could use a little more tire coverage, in the mud you're gonna be covered after a good romp. All in all the Maverick is a home run in my book. It's a terror of fun to ride and it makes you want to ride the desert for fun, not because it's winter and everything else is closed. This machine could be a serious contender in the racing circuits with just a few mods. With a turbo that the aftermarket will no doubt be presenting soon it's going to be the most fun a guy can have on wheels. Dune and desert guys have a new machine to consider for sure:)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Went out to the Garage last night to say good night to my baby, and I just couldn't help myself. I picked up a wrench and started working on it. Those front plastic bumper wings are just unbearable to look at!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
O.....my......goodness!!!! This thing has a fram type flat-panel air filter. It also has a post filter. It's a separate little oiled foam filter that you can put in for Dusty or muddy conditions. More signs of attention to detail! I'll post pics of it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Is your truck rack custom? I might want to look into getting one.
Custom. I built it a couple weeks ago. My wife has a rzr 4, and I have this. I have a 28' pull behind toy hauler, so this is the only way to get both of them to the desert in one trip. Even though it's only a 15 minute drive to where we usually camp. I spent $300 on metal. I'm going to do a write up on it in a couple weeks from now.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So did you go on a short ride after work?
Sorry, no riding yet. Our main sewer drain plugged up last night. So I
lost a couple hours this afternoon dealing with that. Plus it's still a little to muddy here. Plus I started tearing it apart to install the harness bar and belts.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Yeah, I forgot to mention the double wall front header. It shows that CA is listening and fixing our complaints. There is also foam on the back side of the engine cover. On the front diff, I jacked it up, and tried a couple of things, but I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to work. If I get both tires off the ground, it's an open diff. I then set one tire on the ground, and the tire in the air won't turn. I don't see a way to check it without having a set of rollers like they do in the commercials. Or do I need to jack both ends up, then hold one front tire, give it a little gas, and count how many revo's the other three tires spin? That's probably what I have to do.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The quality of this thing keeps amazing me as I look over everything! Polaris seems like their engineers are in china designing for them. I'd give them a rating of 5 out of 10. The Rhino is a dog. But you can tell that it is designed by people in Japan that know what they're doing. Very good quality. I'd give them a rating of 10 out of 10. And I'm talking about the quality of the vehicle and the frame design regarding strength and the use of gussets. The Maverick is I'd say 15% better built then a Rhino. That would make it a 11.5 out of 10! The rear upper shock mount is off road race car quality. Fully boxed in. On the Rhino, if you lawn darted, the lower a arm would kink the frame inward at the rear mount. The solution was to weld a tube in to connect the left a arm mount to the right one. The Mav already has that tube there, plus it has boxed in gussets welded to it! From a fabricators point of view, absolutely perfect!!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
That sounds good, explains the reduction in engine heat in the cab. Two more commander issues addressed, engine noise and heat!!

What you need to do to test the front diff is:

- make sure it is in neutral, park brake off and 2x4 so the front drive shaft can spin freely, you may have to have the key on to get it in 2x4 but should not need to have it running

- block rear tires and jack one front tire off the ground, leave the other one down

-spin the tire in the air quickly by hand and count revolutions till it starts to bind up to the point where you can no longer turn it quickly
Uh oh! I just wasn't turning it fast enough and enough times yesterday. By hand, it takes about 4 1/2 turns till it starts to have a limited slip type resistance.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts