Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Took the maverick out on its maiden voyage and here's my thoughts after a 70 mile trip
-Power
No surprise here but the power on this thing is what I would call explosive and somewhat hard to handle in slick conditions, especially in sport mode. I come from a rzr xp and the power delivery is completely different. How much power and torque the maverick has through out the whole powerband is impressive and very noticeable. The maverick definitely has a good edge on the rzr xp when it comes to power delivery, it's quite a bit faster.
-Handling
This is what had me wondering the most to be honest. Would it feel like a wider commander or more nimble and agile like the rzr? To my surprise this was the most impressive trait the maverick has. It felt more like a rzr, no pushing coming in the corners and felt like it was on rails till you mashed the gas pedal and kicked the rear end out for some of the best power slides I have ever done. The steering was precise, reacted quickly to steering input and was just flat out impressive. Not once did I think the maverick was top heavy. It has a completely different feel than a commander does. Can am nailed the handling on this machine.
-Suspension
Fox 2.5's pretty much sums this up. They are considered some of the best shocks on the market. Some may think the suspension settings are a little stiff out of the crate but they suited my driving style of driving fast and hard. Not once did I bottom out the machine even on some of the bigger jumps I was hitting, it jumps nice and level and has no bucking going over jumps. Best of all, no trailing arms to get hung up on rocks. I was so glad to see can am go with what they call a tta suspension which is practically a really advanced independent a-arm setup. Suits us much better in the rocks.
-Fit and finish
Typical can am quality, second to none in my opinion. The cockpit is identical to the commander, so those with a commander would feel right at home sitting behind the wheel of the maverick. This is where can am is way ahead over Polaris and arctic cat. They use much nicer materials and everything is put away nicely and with some thought behind it. Hopefully Polaris and arctic cat can take some lessons.
-Closing thoughts
Overall the maverick has surpassed my expectations. You'll get covered in mud riding this thing but I can't describe how much more I enjoyed driving the maverick over my rzr xp. The only thing I didn't really try out was the visco lok, they was a few instances I used it but wasn't really needed. I need to get it in more of a bind before I can give my thoughts on it. No sport mode in low range is a bummer but easily fixed with a aftermarket harness. The heat and noise in the cockpit has been greatly reduced compared to the commanders.
Can am has hit a home run with the maverick, I can't praise it enough. It was bullet proof all day with no issues, all my riding buddies was as impressed as I am. Not one of us was expecting it to be a complete package like it is, I was thinking it was more of a straight line shooter but boy was I wrong. Can am is serious about the sport sxs market and the maverick shows the true passion can am has about their product

I have to give props to my dealer, Lexington motorsports took good care of me from day 1.. A+ guys, everyone was nice and I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is good to know.I am new to the side by side market.All my buddies bought rzr's in December.I put a deposit on a maverick in January and it is supposed to be in this week.I have had listen to my buddies rag me about it the whole time.I can not wait until we all go to Durham town in two weeks.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Great write up! And I know that your still grinning from ear to ear! It is truly an AWSOME machine!!! I'm glad you finally got yours! Congrats!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is good to know.I am new to the side by side market.All my buddies bought rzr's in December.I put a deposit on a maverick in January and it is supposed to be in this week.I have had listen to my buddies rag me about it the whole time.I can not wait until we all go to Durham town in two weeks.
You'll have the last laugh on your rzr buddy's, trust me on that. I had a rzr xp for 2 years and 2,500 miles, the Mav is so much better in more ways than just power

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Makes me feel better jumping from a wheeler to a side x side. Is it me or does the Maverick make the Commander look like a 4 wheeler sitting next to it. I sat in one at the dealership this past weekend and it didnt look that big. Corse it was sitting by itself so there was nothing to compare it to. The Maverick looks HUGE!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I set the pictures up to try and show just how much more suspension travel the maverick has over the commander. Totally different machines when it comes to performance.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And before someone asks lol that's a half windshield that come on my buddies commander. The maverick and commanders hoods are different so a half windshield from a commander will not sit flush against the plastic. My half windshield and pro armor doors should be in this week.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Great write up! And I know that your still grinning from ear to ear! It is truly an AWSOME machine!!! I'm glad you finally got yours! Congrats!
Over 300 miles on mine, with no issues...And I still got a an ear to ear smile

Reactions: Glamisfan

·
Registered
417 Posts
Congrats and thank you for posting! I know you been waiting for a while as well glad to hear your not dissapointed.
Drive safe

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Wow! I almost busted a nut. So no clutch slipping, rattles, starting problems or broken anything?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Im interested in the Getting Covered in mud part... Did you have the Acc. bed liner in yours..? Do you think that the doors will help out, I know they did on commander? Also is it worse than RZR XP you had.....Damn I wish someone would make fender flares

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im interested in the Getting Covered in mud part... Did you have the Acc. bed liner in yours..? Do you think that the doors will help out, I know they did on commander? Also is it worse than RZR XP you had.....Damn I wish someone would make fender flares
I have the doors and a roof, but no bed liner or windshield on my XRS, IMO doors help a lot. I get slightly more muddy on the XRS then I did on my XP, although the XP did have taller doors. I was very concerend about mud coming up through the bed openigns but that is just not the case the plastic deflectors in the rear of the maverick work great. One of my ridding buddies that has an XP with ITP 212 wheels gets more mud on him that I do. I expectred the maverick to be very bad about getting mud in the cab, but it is not nearly as bad as I feared.
Will I buy fender flares, yes once somone makes a pair that is functional and looks decent.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have the doors and a roof, but no bed liner or windshield on my XRS, IMO doors help a lot. I get slightly more muddy on the XRS then I did on my XP, although the XP did have taller doors. I was very concerend about mud coming up through the bed openigns but that is just not the case the plastic deflectors in the rear of the maverick work great. One of my ridding buddies that has an XP with ITP 212 wheels gets more mud on him that I do. I expectred the maverick to be very bad about getting mud in the cab, but it is not nearly as bad as I feared.
Will I buy fender flares, yes once somone makes a pair that is functional and looks decent.
Thanks bud...This is my biggest fear....I got the full size PA doors from commander on the way and the bed liner and the rear net....LOL Yea my bud has a XP too with wider rims and he gets somewhat muddy but not bad...It that the worst I can live with it.....I don't know why Can Am wouldn't have a set of flares ready for the Mav...Makes no sense to me

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! I almost busted a nut. So no clutch slipping, rattles, starting problems or broken anything?
Never slipped the belt, never smelt any burning rubber smell, no starting problems or anything like that. The only rattle I heard is from the exhaust somewhere, I'll have the dealer re torque the exhaust bolts and that should fix the problem.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks bud...This is my biggest fear....I got the full size PA doors from commander on the way and the bed liner and the rear net....LOL Yea my bud has a XP too with wider rims and he gets somewhat muddy but not bad...It that the worst I can live with it.....I don't know why Can Am wouldn't have a set of flares ready for the Mav...Makes no sense to me
Someone will definitely come out with fender flares, doors I think would help a lot. I bought the mesh windscreen for the rear of the cage and it caught a lot of mud. I bought some pro armor commander doors I'm going to fit on my maverick so I'll report back how they do

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow, honesty from a Polaris owner. That's rare.
Buddy I don't want anyone to make a 18k mistake. I know they was a lot of people wondering how it would do on the east coast and I think it's more capable than a xp. The trailing arms on a xp is a big drawback since they get hung up on rocks. I just wanted to give a unbiased review on my thoughts about the Mav. I've actually owned two Polaris rzr's, the first being a rzr s when they first come out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
great review, im still waiting on brp for mine and sure is nice to read a good review after seeing and worrying about all the different troubles some of you have been having. now im even more excited for mine to come in

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never slipped the belt, never smelt any burning rubber smell, no starting problems or anything like that. The only rattle I heard is from the exhaust somewhere, I'll have the dealer re torque the exhaust bolts and that should fix the problem.
Mine had a very annoying exhaust rattle around 4500-5000rpms, turned out to be the heatshield for the battey.
I removed the heatsheild installed rubber washers on the mounting bolts under the battery tray and reinstalled the heat sheild, rattle solved.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts