Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my Ridgid 4 Inch LEDs and started on my HIDs. Dual Light Bars are next but I can't install them until my roof arrives.

FYI? For those of you who had a Commander the HID install is a Pain in the ass. Not many options to run the wires. On the driver side is the coolant fill hose, WARNING.. You DO NOT WANT YOUR WIRES RUBBING ON THAT HOSE. It will wear a hole in it.

If you look right in front of the air cleaner I built a mount, this was a mount I worked on for my Commander but it really never took flight. If you want to do it right you need 4 light wire extenders which allow you to reroute the cables. If you need some PM me, I have a ton of them left over from my former company. I will send them to you at whatever the cost of shipping is and 10 bucks.

You can see the difference from the left side (stock) and the right side (HIDs). Its amazing how much brighter these are.

Merry Christmas

BigD

WP_20121224_005.jpg

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I ride through a lot of water where I live and in my commander I couldn't get the hid's to last more than a few weeks. Don't know how to seal the lights off so I went back to stock is there any secrets?? Are u saying its harder to run the wireing in the Mav?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. I have run water over my hood on my commander and never had an issue with my HIDs. Were you running the slim ballasts or the large ones? Was it water in your actual head light that was doing it or the ballast getting water in it?

The HIDs I used to sell are water proof, or water resistance I should say but I and all my friends have never had an issue. I sold 100s of HIDs and only had one or two ballasts come back.

BigD

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I was runnin the slim ballasts and was getting moisture in the head light itself the lenses have moisture in them right now

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take the ORing off of the stock headlights and use it on the HIDs. Some of the HID kits sold on Ebay have a smaller ORing. It's not a huge difference in size but if you look close I bet you can see the difference.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Awesome, I'll definitely be installing some hids on mine. Probably do them on high beams only. What's a good high quality hid kit? And how is the cut off through the projector lenses?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
also make sure you really twist hard to lock them in. mine did the same and i couldnt get them to twist as far as the stock until 1 day i put a needle nose plyers on them and really gave a twist and the locked in like stock....no more problems!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, I'll definitely be installing some hids on mine. Probably do them on high beams only. What's a good high quality hid kit? And how is the cut off through the projector lenses?
It's hard to tell until you actually have them in hand. That's the downside to buying good HIDs. It's all in the bulb. The Ballasts are pretty much the same across the board. I would change them all not just the high beams. If you look at the pic I posted the left side is stock the right side is HID, see the color difference? These are 6000k color which in my opinion is by far the best color to run. That color also matches or is closest to the LED bars.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also make sure you really twist hard to lock them in. mine did the same and i couldnt get them to twist as far as the stock until 1 day i put a needle nose plyers on them and really gave a twist and the locked in like stock....no more problems!!
Yes, 222 is right. The best way is to use a crescent and snug it to the base of the light. Turn it softly until it clicks or stops. Don't put a ton of pressure otherwise you will break it. You can even put a little grease on the base of the light, very little grease.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The lights were snugged, I'm guessing that it's the O ring thing but thanks everyone

·
Registered
664 Posts
I did all 4 in my Commander but had to take the low beams out. Too brite to ride on the street. If your gonna ride on the street at all don't do all 4.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I did all 4 in my Commander but had to take the low beams out. Too brite to ride on the street. If your gonna ride on the street at all don't do all 4.
That's what I was thinking, I ride a lot on the street to get to the trails so ill be happy with just highs. I plan on doing a 40" light bar also.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I bought two hid conversion kits off of ebay, $40 each! Can't wait to get home and install them! I have a 10" led bar to install, but I can't quite figure out how to install it, especially since I found out that the front bumper is aluminum.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sweet, are you satisfied with the light output? And what kind of hids and light bar are you running?

I have the Rigid E series light bar and 55W HID's by DDM Tuning. I couldn't be happier with the results. Very brite!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts