Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen the damage that rocks do to the inside of the rear wheels and brake calipers. I believe that the angle of the lower rear a arms is the problem. The front tires throw rocks and that 45° of the arm ricochets the rocks into the wheel. I've seen a lot of the race trucks, I believe mostly short course trucks, that used mudflaps underneath the vehicle to keep from throwing rocks and mud towards the rear of the vehicle. So I made up a couple for the Maverick to see if this solves the problem. They don't look the best maybe, but with how fast I drive nobody will ever see them anyways except when I'm parked.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the only flaw may be that when the flaps hit the ground they will throw a lot of rocks. looks good though and I'm sure it will help.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
will they fold back from the wind when you are cruising along and defeat the purpose of having them?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to have someone drive it so I can see if they're doing that. I used a fairly stiff big rig mudflap.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Yeah I was thinking of different materials to make a full underbody Flap. Something that wont drag much or fly up and out of the way. something like that will also help the Sand blasting of all the rear arms and shocks.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah! I sprayed on bed liner on the lower a arms once, and it was gone after one trip to Glamis. I'm gonna spray it on again and see how long it last.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yeah! I sprayed on bed liner on the lower a arms once, and it was gone after one trip to Glamis. I'm gonna spray it on again and see how long it last.
Look at it this way Steve, the oem powder coating didn't last but 1 or 2 trips to the dunes...just sayin...lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
What about spraying the inner wheel with the bed liner material. It works pretty good in the bed of the truck against just about anything…should work well on the wheels too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
What about spraying the inner wheel with the bed liner material. It works pretty good in the bed of the truck against just about anything…should work well on the wheels too.
Might throw them off balance

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
You could rebalance them afterwards….

·
Registered
221 Posts
I made some flaps to but mine are located in front more. havent got to try them yet tho. looks like a Pro4 racer now lol

·
Registered
395 Posts
Leading a Ecors race for one hour a couple weeks ago. A rock was caught up in my rear wheel against the brake caliper. Jumping a double over a tunnel jump 40-50 ft., landed a little harder then previous laps due to slow lapper. The rock knocked a small hole thru the middle of the wheel inside out, not outside in, meaning it didn't come thru the tire. Tire is still good. I guess 14" rims would cure that. That's an exspensive change over for something BRP overlooked. The day before a stick got hung in the wheel against the caliper and almost caught on fire. And yes the mud scrappers have been off since mile 10. Almost tore the rim up then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts