Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After holding off for several months, I took deliver of my XRS yesterday. Here is my first day with my new Maverick.

First few rides (break-in):

I let the engine temp come up two bars and made a pass or two up and down the driveway to warm up the belt. After everything was up to temp I made several hard acceleration /deceleration runs with the gray key low range. I then let the machine cool completely off. I repeated this in high in non-sport, then again in sport mode. Cool down between each session. Finally took it out with black (performance) key and made a couple blasts from 20 to 76 mph. The engine held a steady 7900 – 8000 rpm each time. Gave it a good run through some snow and mud varying rpms and load on engine through the various conditions. I will continue to vary my rpm as I continue the break-in process (making sure to fully warm the engine and drive up before hammer on it).

My thoughts on the new machine:

Suspension:
o
Pro’s - Haven’t had chances to really test this too much over any jumps or whoops. However, it seemed to make the 8-inch ruts and potholes disappear. Very smooth.
o
Con’s - I did notice a bit a body roll when pitching into a corner. It took a bit of getting use to.

Ergonomics:
o
Pro’s - The cockpit fit me just fine (5’10” / 195). All the controls are well laid out and easy to reach. Seats are well designed and comfortable.
o
Con’s- The side net seemed a little close to my shoulder.

Power:
o
Pro’s - The engine pulls steady and strong. The engine seems to run strongest in the 7000+ rpm range with a nice waaaaa sound.
o
Con’s – It is a heavy machine, and even with 101 HP it did not completely blow me away (although it is very new and will only get better with more runtime and break-in).

Fit & Finish:
o
Pro’s - Suspension bolts and nuts were all factory marked. All body panels fit well. No squeaks or rattles.
o
Con’s - The glove box hits against the center console when fully open. The plastics are pretty thin and prone to easy scratching.

Overall I am very happy and am looking forward to more ride time and nicer weather (it’s been a long Winter in the Upper Peninsula).

IMG_0965.jpg

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
That's what I thought to with the power. With a 101 hp I was expecting more from what everyone was saying and all the tests rides ppl did and videos , unless the west coast ones/ earlier ones are stronger for some reason.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The maverick on paper weighs 100 lbs more than the xp but honestly I think its around 250-300 lbs more. I can really feel the extra weight coming into corners, dont get me wrong I'll take the maverick over the xp anyday but they're heavier than what paper shows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After holding off for several months, I took deliver of my XRS yesterday. Here is my first day with my new Maverick.

First few rides (break-in):

I let the engine temp come up two bars and made a pass or two up and down the driveway to warm up the belt. After everything was up to temp I made several hard acceleration /deceleration runs with the gray key low range. I then let the machine cool completely off. I repeated this in high in non-sport, then again in sport mode. Cool down between each session. Finally took it out with black (performance) key and made a couple blasts from 20 to 76 mph. The engine held a steady 7900 – 8000 rpm each time. Gave it a good run through some snow and mud varying rpms and load on engine through the various conditions. I will continue to vary my rpm as I continue the break-in process (making sure to fully warm the engine and drive up before hammer on it).

My thoughts on the new machine:

Suspension:
o
Pro’s - Haven’t had chances to really test this too much over any jumps or whoops. However, it seemed to make the 8-inch ruts and potholes disappear. Very smooth.
o
Con’s - I did notice a bit a body roll when pitching into a corner. It took a bit of getting use to.

Ergonomics:
o
Pro’s - The cockpit fit me just fine (5’10” / 195). All the controls are well laid out and easy to reach. Seats are well designed and comfortable.
o
Con’s- The side net seemed a little close to my shoulder.

Power:
o
Pro’s - The engine pulls steady and strong. The engine seems to run strongest in the 7000+ rpm range with a nice waaaaa sound.
o
Con’s – It is a heavy machine, and even with 101 HP it did not completely blow me away (although it is very new and will only get better with more runtime and break-in).

Fit & Finish:
o
Pro’s - Suspension bolts and nuts were all factory marked. All body panels fit well. No squeaks or rattles.
o
Con’s - The glove box hits against the center console when fully open. The plastics are pretty thin and prone to easy scratching.

Overall I am very happy and am looking forward to more ride time and nicer weather (it’s been a long Winter in the Upper Peninsula).

View attachment 1600

Yes...! As a new Maverick owner, just turned 10.5 hours this week end, I agree with most of your comments. For me, I have been riding in tight woods and gravel logging roads. I like how much power it has for the most part. It may be wishfull thinking but it did seem to pick up a bit the last ride... Overall... I LOVE the thing!!

Cheers,
Vance

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With typical crappy weather over the weekend, I did not get a chance to get out and put any more run time on it. Basically went over the machine checking nuts and bolts. Found all the bead lock bolts at around 30 inch-pounds. Torqued them all to 71. All four tires were a bit low on pressure around 8 or 9 psi. Aired them up to 16 psi. Can't wait to get some more break-in time!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try it at that pressure for awhile and can always back it down to find a good balance. I remember reading (on this forum) a little higher tire pressure for aggressive trail riding was the way to go. I'm sure a lot of variables play into finding that sweat spot. The way I look at it that its part of the fun to tweak these per condition and driving style.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts