Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a cheap ass mofo and it will show with the following replacement tie rods.

My thinking is to have a weak link in the steering system that is easy to replace. So after dunniung with Andy and Glamisfan and seeing how easy it was to bend a tie rod. I decided i need to carry spares.

Now the aftermarket makes some sturdy badass looking tie rods with new rod ends for a pretty penny. But remember i am a cheap ass mofo and have a sweet set of tools in the garage that i sorta know how to use. I found some aluminum tie rods from sprint cars on ebay for $13. I then cut 3/8" off the ends to make 12 3/16" end to end, drilled out the existing threads with a 1/2" drill bit then tapped them 14mm 1.5 pitch. It leaves me with 1 3/4" of thread for the rack end and tie rod end.

walla, cheap ass tie rod replacement for my tool bag.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
LOL, Nice...I still got my sleeved tie rod on my Mav. I been torn between buying Turn Key tie rods or just buying some new OEM tie rods. This looks like a good alternative to both.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You can only find them with a R and L thread, so he re tapped both sides to right hand.
Was referring to the OEM tie rod & rack ends- one end will need to be LH thread to allow toe adjustment...or am I missing something?

·
Registered
528 Posts
bent tie rod.jpg

don't buy cheap ass factory tie rods0 recomment UTV incs... the are very heavy duty and reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wall thickness appears to be the same but the eBay ones are bigger in the middle section. I don't believe any weaker, I was only looking for acre placement not an upgrade in strength. I would rather bend these than a spindle or rack.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Totally rather bend the tie rod, I was just curious if it was close to the same strength and thickness. I think I will do this as well. I just didnt want to put something in there that were even weaker than OEM.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Imagine bending a tie-rod on that landing, pucker factor would be huge!

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have a few questions about the stock parts im at work till may 20th:
what size bolts do the stock tie rod ends use?
what is the length of the stock tie rods?

ill be buying all the stuff and have it shipped to the house to have it ready for when i get home

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i have a few questions about the stock parts im at work till may 20th:
what size bolts do the stock tie rod ends use?
what is the length of the stock tie rods?

ill be buying all the stuff and have it shipped to the house to have it ready for when i get home
Fawk! You want me to stop by your house and do it for you too? Heck i could take care of your ol lady and maybe throw a bone in your dog too. Read my first post and you will have everything you need.

Sorry for being a dik, but its EFF with a window licker day and you made an easy target.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Fawk! You want me to stop by your house and do it for you too? Heck i could take care of your ol lady and maybe throw a bone in your dog too. Read my first post and you will have everything you need.

Sorry for being a dik, but its EFF with a window licker day and you made an easy target.
Just tell us the sizes!!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

Yep, it's all there in the first post. I think even I could do it.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
what size tube steak did u use sir damn it ?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
its cool most west coast people are **** tards anyways but i understand.
Hey...Just because I'm a left coast asshole doesn't mean I'm dick.....:tongue:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts