Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

my battery is weak and really small

13K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  AB8EAB8E 
#1 ·
when i picked up my Mav it started kinda slow. I asked the sales guy and he said the battery was charged and is good to go. He went as far as to say it was part of their prep and delivery.

Well after installing my Rugged Radio, Quick light, horn and license plate light, it almost did not want to start after a 8 mile ride on the street.

Can Am really cheaped out for a crappy small battery in my opinion.

I have an small Interstate gell battery i will be installing in my Mav this week. Of course i will have to cut the stock box off and fabricate one a little bigger.

#4 ·
I think it could be caused more by the battery location than battery size. It sits right above the exhaust with only a thin alum shield. Heat is not good for batteries.

#8 ·
I installed some insulated heat shield on the bottom side of the factory alum shield.

#29 ·
i fixed my issue today. i installed a larger battery and made a larger heat shield.

stock

battery comparison
Question... Since the Battery is in the back do you have to run leads for acc. all the way there... Or did they integrate some sort of block upfront to get power from.... I am really curious about this...If I could just look at one I would Know but who know when that will happen

#11 ·
Heres a cool Battery only 15lbs lithium Ion
Lithium Pros

#38 ·
Pardon my french but WTF? Guess I better forget abou the new CVtech Clutch and STM Secondary....I need this battery...NOT! Whatever that is rediculous..

#12 ·
$2000! :money:

#15 ·
To run dual batteries you really need two of the same battery. Aldo the stock battery is only held on with two 1" welds. I would be concerned in a crash of it coming loose.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of going to dual Odessy 925's. 330 cca, and they weigh about 26 lbs. They'er pretty compact at 6 1/2 x 7 x 5, and not tooo pricey at $195 each. I think it will be a good mod to handle the extra lighting, GPS, sound system and whatever else I add to the Mav down the road.

#18 ·
are you talking about using a straight battery like in a car or truck. would that work ok??? with a modified box of course. in theory you could pull one from your truck and it would work fine, correct?

#26 ·
does the cca matter in a 12 volt battery?? what do you suggest in cca?? i have always just run stock battery and never modded any battery, but with the maverick i do plan to add things, light bar, radio,winch,etc/

will the system not keep charged a few accesories, if you buy a good battery? or is a dual with isolator best. if so what isolator you suggest and what cca value?? or better yet, do you have a battery part number?

i may do this, like i said i do a lot of things on sxs but never ever touched a battery, but feel i may need to. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.