Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i picked up my Mav it started kinda slow. I asked the sales guy and he said the battery was charged and is good to go. He went as far as to say it was part of their prep and delivery.

Well after installing my Rugged Radio, Quick light, horn and license plate light, it almost did not want to start after a 8 mile ride on the street.

Can Am really cheaped out for a crappy small battery in my opinion.

I have an small Interstate gell battery i will be installing in my Mav this week. Of course i will have to cut the stock box off and fabricate one a little bigger.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
841 Posts
It might be the starter cause my buddies Mav had a hard time starting as well after riding all day.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Was hoping not to hear that,Not sure where I heard it but because of the high compression the starter is gonna struggle to turn the motor over

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I think it could be caused more by the battery location than battery size. It sits right above the exhaust with only a thin alum shield. Heat is not good for batteries.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think it could be caused more by the battery location than battery size. It sits right above the exhaust with only a thin alum shield. Heat is not good for batteries.
Funny you say this I am already fabricating a heat shield. When I first picked it up I was letting it idle in my garage and put my hand under the battery and it was hot.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
841 Posts
I don't have the issue with my commander and it has 12:1 pistons. My Mav doesn't have the issues either.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I installed some insulated heat shield on the bottom side of the factory alum shield.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Heres a cool Battery only 15lbs lithium Ion
Lithium Pros

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
$2000! :money:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
its been done also !

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I'm thinking of going to dual Odessy 925's. 330 cca, and they weigh about 26 lbs. They'er pretty compact at 6 1/2 x 7 x 5, and not tooo pricey at $195 each. I think it will be a good mod to handle the extra lighting, GPS, sound system and whatever else I add to the Mav down the road.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
are you talking about using a straight battery like in a car or truck. would that work ok??? with a modified box of course. in theory you could pull one from your truck and it would work fine, correct?

·
Registered
568 Posts
To run dual batteries you really need two of the same battery. Aldo the stock battery is only held on with two 1" welds. I would be concerned in a crash of it coming loose.
I was going to mount the second battery under the drivers seat. I'm no electrician so bear w me, but why would they need to be identical batteries?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts