Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

My ///AIRDAM Review

12K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  AB8EAB8E 
#1 ·
My primary bolt broke a month ago. It took out the entire cvt system. So I ordered an ///AIRDAM primary. It took 4 weeks for the oem replacement parts to come in! In the mean time my CVTech from ///AIRDAM came in. I asked the dealership about putting an aftermarket primary on. He said that only the original 6 month warranty covers the cvt system, after that you're on your own no matter what extended warranty you have. He said if I bring in my aftermarket primary, that they would install it and give me the new oem primary to take home. That sounded good to me, so that's what I did. I've owned the Maverick for 3 months, and 1 of those months it was in the shop! That really sucked!
Today I finally picked up the Mav from the dealer. They installed my aftermarket primary, a new secondary, new belt, new seals in the rear diff cause the input seal was seeping oil out, one new cv boot that started slinging grease, and a new battery, all under warranty!
I had them use the ARP primary bolt that I got from ///AIRDAM, I also got an ARP secondary bolt from him too, but I'll get to that later. I told them that the oem bolt takes 79 pounds of torque, and that this is an ARP bolt, so could they torque it to 110 pounds of torque. The mechanic said that when it gets up that high, that they really don't have a way to torque it down. I said ok, I'll do it when I get it home. I tried the strap method to hold it down, but that didn't work. I was afraid to use a piece of metal to go between it and the frame, but I didn't want to take a chance on it breaking a piece off of the CVTech.
///AIRDAM always just uses an impact. Well, this past week I played with my 1/2 inch electric impact to find out what kind of torque it applies. First I put the ARP primary bolt in a 1inch tube, with washers in each side, and the nut in a vice,and hit it with the impact. Next, I used my old school torque wrench to see how much torque was applied to it. It put about 90 pounds on it. Next I did the same to a grade 8 half inch bolt. But it was an inch shorter, so I used a larger tube with some washers that bent in a little as I tightened it. It took about 120 pounds of torque. I guess because of the washers flexing, and the lower grade bolt, somehow more torque was applied. The point is that I learned what my impact would do, in case I had to use it. Well I did have to use it. I hammered it on the primary bolt, and it barely moved, so the dealer did a good job on it.
Next I went to install the torsional secondary spring that I got from Adam(///AIRDAM) per his recommendation. It was a bear. I watched his video a few times as I was trying to install it. Every time I would try to twist it and then push it in, it would bind a little bit, and it just wouldn't push in. I don't think that two people could get in there at one time either. So I finally t a four foot prybar, and got it on. Once I got the ARP secondary bolt in by hand, and what I thought was lined up, I hit it lightly with the impact. I then used the spreader bolt to spread the secondary to see if it was lined up rite, and it was. I then hit it again with the impact a little more. Now I wanted to try and torque it down. The stock bolt takes 45 pounds, so I figure this one should be good for 60. If you don't get the secondary bolt tight enough, it can back out. I also applied some red Loctite. On this one I did feel comfortable putting a six inch piece of aluminum in between a fin on the secondary and the frame. I used the torque wrench to finish it off.
Now on to my first ride with it. It works just like the oem one, but with no worrying that it'll break and leave me stranded in the middle on nowhere and another month of down time!!! Top speed in the dirt seemed to be the same, at 73 mph. I didn't have a long enough run in the dirt to find out if it had any more. Engine braking was the same as stock, which is excellent. Engagement was as smooth as butter. I did take it down a blacktop road, and wow, I hit 80 mph! Then I turned around and could only get 77. The first run was slightly down hill and with a tailwind. But still, 80mph!
I put 15 miles on it. When I got home, I hit both bolts with the impact again, and they were good. The texture that Adam put on the primary, which seems quite heavy, was 90 percent worn down. So it's really just for break in, IMHO.
The primary costs $800. I did not send him my secondary to be machined, but he charges $100 for that. He charges $40 for the primary puller tool. The primary bolt that he has is either $15, or $30. Not sure what the secondary bolt costs. I was surprised when I pulled the oem secondary bolt out that it too was cut down to make it weaker. So I would highly recommend getting both of Adam's stronger one's!
So in total I spent $940 to fix what is a horrible, weak, pathetic,crappy, sorry, pos,terrible, useless BRP Can Am primary! Anyone with a thorough mechanical background can take one look at it and tell you that. Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
u gonna take it to the dunes tmaro and run mega or another stock maverick ?

#3 ·
Thanks for the update... I'm thinking about doing the same setup plus doing the Stm secondary. Just not quite sure if the secondary is worth it.

#5 ·
Awesome Write up!

#7 ·
Did you ever see what the top speed was with the stock clutch? I didn't check mine before I installed QSC so I had been wondering whether the clutch made mine faster or if it run 80 before and didn't know it.

#13 ·
Wind sucks at the dunes! I bet though, it's been windy/gusty here in Phoenix all day & it's always worse out there. Glad I'm not camping in that. No fun sitting around a lantern because it's too windy for a camp fire & with goggles on! It will be perfect tomorrow... That's always how it goes for me on windy weekends. Blows like a biatch until Sunday when I'm packing up to go home.

#15 · (Edited)
If I get a plane ticket whos taking me for a ride in the dunes....I have to do this.... Just cant afford to take my machine.... Closest thing I can get to Cali rite now was leading this BuckWild Film Crew From CA around my riding area today....They have no clue what to do with mud...Funny as hell... And they all where skinny jeans....LMAO

#19 ·
some one always has an extra seat for you guys. I even brought my Teryx4 and didnt even drive it. Make some plans and come on out. Camp in Style rent trailers and delivers them to your campsite. On holiday weekends there are rental vendors you can rent a sxs to get around in or search Craigs list, a few people will deliver a sxs for you to use for a weekend.

#21 ·
i think the season is about over next weekend is gonna be crazy out there, gonna be easter weekend utvunderground big ride , nice weather but rain maybe !, from there on out its gonna get hot

#25 ·
If you want to see lots of people and vehicles, thanksgiving weekend is the biggest weekend. Halloween weekend used to be huge, like 150,000 but last year it was prolly 20,000. Damn economy! Presidents weekend there's a lot of peeps also. The dunes are so huge that you can go for fast ride even on a big weekend. But any weekend that forum peeps will be there would be good to see how much fun it is. I would recommend to anyone to come out on one of the large weekends, cause some of the buggies will blow your mind!

#30 ·
X2, if your coming out that far to experience the dunes then the big holiday weekends are your best bet.IMO. You will see so much more activity and get the FULL experience, duning, drags & big buggies playing at OLDs. It's not wild like the old days but a good show for sure!!!

#27 ·
Glamisfan so you didn't notice any performance gain at all? Just peace of mind......Did you race against a stock Mav?

#29 ·
Thanks for the update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.