Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm a new member here and have been offroading for 25+ years. Ive driven it all Quads, Dirt-bikes, Jeeps, you name it. I raced motocross in my younger years and I now live by the "with age get a cage philosophy".

In 2014 I had a huge hit I came home from work (My younger brother and I lived together) and found my younger Brother unresponsive. My Brother and I were inseparable we raced together we did everything together and it hit me harder than anything I've ever experienced in my Life. Needless to say I changed alot and lost interest in everything. Fast forward to today and I am finally getting out of the funk and I have decided in his honour to Try for the big one. Ever since Dust to glory and any other baja 1000 movies we could find its all we talked about for years. We had original plans to Race a KTM 450 which I still have in the Pro Quad class. But I'm now 36 and I doubt I'd have the fitness to do that anymore. So I purchased a Canam X3 and I'm going to make it my 2019 goal to try for Baja. I have many friends who race down there and I understand the mountain I will have to climb to achieve that but I'm single have a bit of income I can spend on it and Ive got a Machine.

So I mainly became a member because I know you guys know this machine and its strengths and weaknesses. I know S3 Racing in Shreveport (just an hour from me) has successfully Raced in many desert races with this exact model i.e. with a bit of mods.

I plan on using every part they offer and I have been in contact with them to hopefully get a Cage built to SCORE specs.

My question to you guys is What else should I think about that I'm not currently thinking of.

List of things to do for Baja.
1. Cage up to SCORE specs.
2. Seats.
3. Seatbelts.
4. Tires and Wheels.
5. Many Spare Belts.
6. Fresh Air Helmet system.
7. S&B Particle Separator
8. Maybe Radiator Relocate????????
9. Lights front and back as well as Ambers and Blues for desert Racing.
10. Fuel Cell
11. Door Bars
12. Everything S3 makes for this machine
13. Radios and GPS - Rugged Radios and Lowrance probably
14. Safety Gear ie Helmet, Suit, First Aid, and per SCORE rule-book 2 days worth of survival food and water onboard of all race machines
15. Finding pit and Chase Crews
16. Seeking any Sponsorship I can Acquire

This is kinda a rough list and its kinda where my brain is there are smaller things like jack and Storage on machine I will have to just see what I can do once I get the machine further prepped.

Also Prerunning is a huge concern cause I don't want to pre-run in the Race machine and I'm not sure financially ill be able to purchase a second machine for this.

Anyway any Help and Mental Support you guys can offer I truly welcome it. Hopefully as it gets closer to the day ill start a thread and try and keep it updated so you guys can see the progress. I will be starting a youtube channel and I plan on documenting all that happens good or bad.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Zambo, is the guy on this forum that seems to have spent a lot of time in Baja, has the same machine and seems like a no nonsense sort of guy. Good luck !!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
...But I'm now 36 and I doubt I'd have the fitness to do that anymore..
Gotta love the south! Too much fried food? You’ve got plenty of time to get your YOUNG 36 year old body into better shape than most other racers.

At your age, you could train and complete an ultra-marathon if you set your mind to it - so, physically, I’d reckon a long drive in a motorized car should be doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Excellent goals, I like the way you think. 36 years young ??? You're half the age of several that are still racing. And you have plenty of time to train. The cost of a gym membership is nothing compared to the cost of your build, trailer, chase truck, ect.
Where are you located ? S3 is an excellent source for your build. Once you get to or near Arizona, I have several resources and would enjoy helping with your build.
Depending on the Class you want to get into, you're talking $100K to $800K +. That's where sponsorship comes into play. Hopefully you have past sponsors you might be able to jump on board again.
I'll be going down to Baja with McMillan Racing later this year. 15+ years of desert racing experience, the fella's at McMillan have all the answers, facilities and technology.
I might do the 125, but the reality is my mind and DNA are all still race ready, but at 60 the 250+ races are no longer realistic for me. Not that I'm going to stop participating and chasing events around the southwest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Class will be PRO UTV FI or Sportsman UTV havent decided yet.

Im in southern Arkansas.

As far as getting in shape what i was meaning was im not inshape enough to do the entire 1000 on a Quad or Dirtbike I realize its alot easier in a Car and im currently running and stuff normally ill just increase that to get better prepared

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
You have a great resource in S3. They race BITD and build desert race UTVs. I would talk to them about your plans and they can guide you.

It is going to be very costly to build a new race UTV. You are looking at 75k-100k. Unless you can do some of the fab work.

Baja is an awesome place. Good luck on your adventure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy an already built racecar, have a shop prep it for you, pay a team to share pit support.
Use your car to prerun.
Sell the racecar after your done if the bug hasn't bit too deeply.

wheres the fun in buying one i like problem solving and building stuff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have a great resource in S3. They race BITD and build desert race UTVs. I would talk to them about your plans and they can guide you.

It is going to be very costly to build a new race UTV. You are looking at 75k-100k. Unless you can do some of the fab work.

Baja is an awesome place. Good luck on your adventure.

S3 is great Im literally 55 minutes from there shop also I have an office right down the street from them

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sky, have you ever been to Baja before? You can certainly build a car and head down to do battle, but when guys try this in never goes well. And that's not going to be much of a tribute to your brother. Building the car is the least of your worries. It takes a ton of logistics to make a Baja 1000 happen. I've raced it 8 or 9 times with a couple of wins, but never in my own car. It is the most brutal single stage race on the planet. Yes people race it and win every year, but rarely does any "bucket list" guy ever show up to a 1000 for their first Baja race and even make it halfway. With that in mind I have a few suggestions and possible courses of action for you.

One option I would seriously suggest just using your car to pre-run and renting a race car from an arrive-and-drive outfit like https://www.wideopenbaja.com/racing/. They will give you a completely prepped car, all the safety gear and everything else you need. They will handle all the signup fees and admin, buy all the race fuel, and provide you with pit support you will never be able to duplicate yourself. You will pull into a pit and they will gas you up and off you go. If something breaks, a team of mechanics will show up with spare everything and fix it. You can split the cost of the race with friends and take turns driving and navigating or you can do the whole thing yourself if you're up for what amounts to a plane crash that lasts for 30 hours. There are similar outfits that use UTVs, but Wide Open Baja is the real deal. You'll get plenty of sense of accomplishment just out of building your car into a prerunner and finishing all this stuff.

If you build your own baja race car, what are you going to do with it afterward? Are you going to keep racing Baja? If not, you just spent a hell of a lot of money for a single race. And frankly, unless you know what it takes to build a car for Baja, its not going to wind up being a car anybody is going to want to pay good money for if you sell it. If you think you can handle the logistics and round up enough pit crews (it takes a lot of people and they have to know WTF they are doing in Baja), you'd still be money well ahead to buy a built car for pennies on the dollar, race it, and then sell it. It is going to cost you tens of thousands of dollars in logistics and support to pull this off, and that's not including the cost of building the car and buying spare parts, dump cans, tool boxes, sat phones, chase radios, etc.

I would highly suggest finding a team that routinely races Baja and volunteering to help them for a few races so you can see what the deal is down there. Get the lay of the land, see how folks manage and support the race, understand the extreme distances and lack of facilities and communication barriers that you're going to be dealing with. Go with them in your car when they pre-run so you can see what the course looks like. It will be time well spent.

Finally, let me suggest another alternative. Every year in late April-early May, NORRA puts on the Mexican 1000. It is roughly 1400 miles long and always a full peninsula run to Cabo. It is broken up into 5 days of racing with 2-3 stages per day, sort of like the Dakar rally. There is no pre-running allowed, but they give you a very detailed GPS course file and roadbooks to guide you along the way. The stock turbo UTV class is one of the biggest classes in the race and the cars are a lot closer to stock than they are to a full-on race car. Stock fuel tank, doors, seats, etc. You can beef up your car with arms and gussets, add nets and harnesses and and a pumper and radio and that's all you need. Each night everybody stays in the same town and regroups and swaps stories. Its a friendly atmosphere and guys help each other out. At minimum its a great introduction to Baja before you tackle a more difficult race. After you do these "short" stages, most of which are over 100 miles long, you can decide if racing 1000 miles nonstop over ever rougher terrain is something that you really want to do. I've raced this race the last 5 years in a row and it has always been a blast, and the guys that come help me always say its bucket-list level stuff. You can support the race just fine with one chase truck. I bring 5 guys with me in 2 trucks and one flatbed trailer. We all take turns navigating and driving and having 2 chase vehicles is more than enough support.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Welcome to the forum , , baja is both beutiful and brutal me and four other friends pre ran the 1000 in 17 from ensenada down to la paz it was a blast but brutal and we took 5 days to do it ,we were’nt there to race ,just run the course and have fun , Zambo has some good advice , we started out with 5 cars and 4 motor cycles ( some people I dident know) we also had 2 chase trucks it at the end my car and 1 friends new x3 were the only cars or bikes that made the whole run , 2 bikes turned around after the 1st day a 3rd bike went into a truck the 2nd day 1 car also turned around after the 1st day and went back to ensenada with the bikes , 2nd day another car went on a trailer a third car went on a trailer at san anacio driver needed to rest , he joined our group on the second day Drove for 2 days and had his car hauled down to loreto to drive the last leg into la paz our guide on the fourh bike went on the trailer the last day about 200+ miles before la paz , we left ensenada sunday morning around 8 am got into la paz about 10 pm on thurs apdali rolled across the finish line before midnight about an 1 1/2 after we got to town , by the time we got our cars parked got our rooms and got down to the finish line he was rolling accross the stage, finish line,
If youve never been you need to go down and run the course( even an old course) to see whats up , its not a just show up and race type of deal, like zambo said a pay and drive is a great solution for a first timmer or second or third timmer

Hope you get to live one of your dreams, be safe and have fun , me I just love to ride down in baja + the foods pretty good to

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sky, have you ever been to Baja before? You can certainly build a car and head down to do battle, but when guys try this in never goes well. And that's not going to be much of a tribute to your brother. Building the car is the least of your worries. It takes a ton of logistics to make a Baja 1000 happen. I've raced it 8 or 9 times with a couple of wins, but never in my own car. It is the most brutal single stage race on the planet. Yes people race it and win every year, but rarely does any "bucket list" guy ever show up to a 1000 for their first Baja race and even make it halfway. With that in mind I have a few suggestions and possible courses of action for you.

One option I would seriously suggest just using your car to pre-run and renting a race car from an arrive-and-drive outfit like https://www.wideopenbaja.com/racing/. They will give you a completely prepped car, all the safety gear and everything else you need. They will handle all the signup fees and admin, buy all the race fuel, and provide you with pit support you will never be able to duplicate yourself. You will pull into a pit and they will gas you up and off you go. If something breaks, a team of mechanics will show up with spare everything and fix it. You can split the cost of the race with friends and take turns driving and navigating or you can do the whole thing yourself if you're up for what amounts to a plane crash that lasts for 30 hours. There are similar outfits that use UTVs, but Wide Open Baja is the real deal. You'll get plenty of sense of accomplishment just out of building your car into a prerunner and finishing all this stuff.

If you build your own baja race car, what are you going to do with it afterward? Are you going to keep racing Baja? If not, you just spent a hell of a lot of money for a single race. And frankly, unless you know what it takes to build a car for Baja, its not going to wind up being a car anybody is going to want to pay good money for if you sell it. If you think you can handle the logistics and round up enough pit crews (it takes a lot of people and they have to know WTF they are doing in Baja), you'd still be money well ahead to buy a built car for pennies on the dollar, race it, and then sell it. It is going to cost you tens of thousands of dollars in logistics and support to pull this off, and that's not including the cost of building the car and buying spare parts, dump cans, tool boxes, sat phones, chase radios, etc.

I would highly suggest finding a team that routinely races Baja and volunteering to help them for a few races so you can see what the deal is down there. Get the lay of the land, see how folks manage and support the race, understand the extreme distances and lack of facilities and communication barriers that you're going to be dealing with. Go with them in your car when they pre-run so you can see what the course looks like. It will be time well spent.

Finally, let me suggest another alternative. Every year in late April-early May, NORRA puts on the Mexican 1000. It is roughly 1400 miles long and always a full peninsula run to Cabo. It is broken up into 5 days of racing with 2-3 stages per day, sort of like the Dakar rally. There is no pre-running allowed, but they give you a very detailed GPS course file and roadbooks to guide you along the way. The stock turbo UTV class is one of the biggest classes in the race and the cars are a lot closer to stock than they are to a full-on race car. Stock fuel tank, doors, seats, etc. You can beef up your car with arms and gussets, add nets and harnesses and and a pumper and radio and that's all you need. Each night everybody stays in the same town and regroups and swaps stories. Its a friendly atmosphere and guys help each other out. At minimum its a great introduction to Baja before you tackle a more difficult race. After you do these "short" stages, most of which are over 100 miles long, you can decide if racing 1000 miles nonstop over ever rougher terrain is something that you really want to do. I've raced this race the last 5 years in a row and it has always been a blast, and the guys that come help me always say its bucket-list level stuff. You can support the race just fine with one chase truck. I bring 5 guys with me in 2 trucks and one flatbed trailer. We all take turns navigating and driving and having 2 chase vehicles is more than enough support.

Wanna be part of my pit crew

Trust me I understand what your saying as far as logistics go I have gone the past 3 years with a dirtbike team I get it I truly do

This is not a bucketlist thing this is a goal I'm going to baja 1000 maybe not this year but it will happen I get everything your saying.

Im not building this car for one race I intend on Racing BITD as well as TORA heck maybe NORRA just depends

anyway thanks for the encouragement :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
When we were done we had our cars shipped back up to the border at otay cost us about 270.00 a car ,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Also just FYI I have one of the TOP X3 fab shops 55 minutes from me I think ill be fine

My entire life ive had people tell me its alot harder than you think and maybe you should rethink that you know what I hate that attitude.

I may not know the Canam X3 well but I know Racing very well been doing it since 15 years old.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome to the insanity, esp. if you are going down the race prep path! Lots of great advice from Zambo, logistics, planning, and enough like minded idiots like yourself are key. Trust me, I'm one too!I'm also headed to NORRA this year, great way to ease into the Baja thing or you can try to tag along with an established team for this year's 1000 to help and learn. If nothing else, you'll have new buddies that might be able to help you out when you race it! Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sky if you want to build a race car for BITD and other races and also do the Baja1000 with it, that's great. But your OP only mentioned trying to build a car so you could go down and race the 1000. Your budget will dictate a lot about what you can do and there is no mention of what the budget is. You need a race car and a prerunner. Fuel for both. Fuel for all the chase rigs. Hotel rooms and food for all the helpers. Boxes of spare parts and tires spread around the peninsula. Dump cans, radios, tools, etc. I don't know what you already have and what you would need to acquire, but if you are starting from scratch you're looking at 6 figures for even the most bare bones race effort. Heck, just 2 stock XRS is over 50k before you do a single mod. By the time you turn one into a race car and another into a prerunner you're already over 100k and you haven't even left the garage yet. The entry fee, race fuel, helmets, suits, and HNRs, and SCORE memberships for all the racers is going to be over 10k alone. If you think I'm tryin to discourage you or tell you it can't be done,.....I'm not. I'm just trying to make sure you have a realistic idea of what you're getting into.

NORRA is a fast, no-joke race. Its not a parade. But because of the rally nature of the event (as opposed to the non-stop SCORE race), you can support it much easier. In fact, I think the actual driving is far more fun that a SCORE race because each stage is a tight sprint. We had some stages where the difference between 1st and 5th was less than a minute! Then you get a few minutes to wrench on the car, gas it up, switch drivers, and get back to racing. I spend about 10k in entry fees and race prep, and my crew pays for the rooms, gas, and food to fund their seat time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sky if you want to build a race car for BITD and other races and also do the Baja1000 with it, that's great. But your OP only mentioned trying to build a car so you could go down and race the 1000. Your budget will dictate a lot about what you can do and there is no mention of what the budget is. You need a race car and a prerunner. Fuel for both. Fuel for all the chase rigs. Hotel rooms and food for all the helpers. Boxes of spare parts and tires spread around the peninsula. Dump cans, radios, tools, etc. I don't know what you already have and what you would need to acquire, but if you are starting from scratch you're looking at 6 figures for even the most bare bones race effort. Heck, just 2 stock XRS is over 50k before you do a single mod. By the time you turn one into a race car and another into a prerunner you're already over 100k and you haven't even left the garage yet. The entry fee, race fuel, helmets, suits, and HNRs, and SCORE memberships for all the racers is going to be over 10k alone. If you think I'm tryin to discourage you or tell you it can't be done,.....I'm not. I'm just trying to make sure you have a realistic idea of what you're getting into.

NORRA is a fast, no-joke race. Its not a parade. But because of the rally nature of the event (as opposed to the non-stop SCORE race), you can support it much easier. In fact, I think the actual driving is far more fun that a SCORE race because each stage is a tight sprint. We had some stages where the difference between 1st and 5th was less than a minute! Then you get a few minutes to wrench on the car, gas it up, switch drivers, and get back to racing. I spend about 10k in entry fees and race prep, and my crew pays for the rooms, gas, and food to fund their seat time.
Zambo I appreciate your response I truly do but I think you misunderstood my point of this post Im trying to learn about the Canam X3 and setting it up for desert racing. I understand I didn't put a budget and I understand I didn't put that I was doing other races but those aren't my Goal they aren't why I'm doing this. My ultimate goal is to Race the 1000 I will probably do many smaller races before I get there and by the time I do go ill probably have 3 cars there's no telling. Heck I may get in shape and do it on A quad Ironman.

This post was not started to debate what I was going to do it was to ask a very informed community for advice on how to set up a car. Maybe I can make the post smaller and be more to the point I just thought I would explain the whole picture.

To be more to The point I have a 2018 Canam X3 XRS Turbo R and I want to set it up for Desert Racing ie SCORE, BITD, NORRA, and TORA or whatever other series I may decide to go into. I need to know the Strong points and weak points of the car (I assumed this community would know seeing as everyone here has a Maverick of some sort). I understand the Hurdle I understand the difficulties I understand the expense I believe I said so in my OP. This is similar to an everest attempt maybe even more similar to a K2 attempt.

For all intents and purpose assume budget is endless but I doubt I need to spend 100k for a baja attempt especially with the base I have to work with. S3 did it with basically a stock car. also in 2016 a dude Ironmanned the whole 1000 with zero desert racing experience on a motorcycle he just purchased with zero spares.

Realistically the rules only call for cage and fuel cell and radio If I did those three mods I could lineup for the start thats real facts. sure I can spend 100k heck I bet I could spend 200k but I bet it can be done for alot less

Any advice or Ideas how to setup a X3 for desert racing are greatly appreciated.

TLDR
I have the want
I have the Moola
I have some experience and more so many experienced desert racing buddies
I have the base for the racecar

I need advice on how to set it up

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Skyjogger, I raced a 1600 car in 1999 and again in 2003 in the 1000. I just went back three months ago when my buddy raced his UTV in the 1000. We stayed at The Horsepower Ranch, in Ensenada, which I would recommend. Everything we parked there was safe and the place was amazing. I think my buddy is racing again this November. Stay in touch on email and we could pre-run with you.
It was very expensive racing there, but worth every penny for the experience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts