Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, been thinking about this for a while. I had looked at the Lowrance dash mount GPS, while it has a big cool factor, I could not see paying $600 for a single purpose device. And the garmin screen is just too small and again single purpose.

Been researching and testing some apps for the ipad that do not need cell or internet service and found that the MotionX GPS HD allows you to download terrain, trail and road maps. Plus the user interface is pretty easy with big buttons. And the screen is bright enough to see in glaring sun. Plus with it being an iPad, I can plug music right into my intercom and have a camera.

Last weekend I did a test with my ipad with my son holding it, and it worked really well. Even found that the touch screen was responsive with gloves.

For a mount, I am thinking a Ram Mount. I can weld a strut off the bar behind the dash and use a screw in ball. They also make a locking cradle.RAM Tab-Lock? Universal Locking Cradle for the iPad mini WITH CASE, SKIN OR SLEEVE

So I bought a used iPad mini off craigslist tonight for $200. Ram mounts will be$70 and $60 for a life proof case. So for $330 I will be all in with multipurpose GPS, music and camera.

Anyone have any thoughts? I will post pics as the project comes together.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Ram Mounts are the best. I used them for my Garmin on my snowmobile. Doesn't move or rattle.

I bought another RAM mount for the same Garmin GPS I use in my snowmobile. You are right that it's a bit small but I am ok with it. I love the idea using it for the Ipad Mini though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use that exact setup except I use it with my iPhone and I'm using a ram suction cup mount. iPad mini size would be ideal for gps. Motion x is a great app and does everything any garmin will do. Sure you're aware but you can select and play music through the motion x app without having to change apps.

I've used this combination for two years and it works great.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use ram mounts on all my offroad vehicles.
They are a top notch product

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Please keep us posted how it works out. I may do the same...already have an iPad w/Defender case laying around the house.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once the stub piece was fully welded, reinstalled the dash, screwed on the ball the put the clamp and ipad holder on. I have a little less clearance than i want. So I will probably fab up an extension for the ball to bring it out an inch. It is secure. I have no worries there, but it vibrates a little. Stuffed a nerf ball behind it and it was really tight and steady. I also think the extension for the ball will give me more clearance on the switches. Still waiting on the Lifeproof case to come in. Or I will have to make a Christmas Eve run to best buy. Going to glamis day after Christmas and will dune test it there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you have an android phone or tablet you can run back country navigator pro and if you download maps in advance you can run it with no data connection.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I run the MotionX gps. Same thing. Down load the map tiles in advance,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
How is that ipad going to hold up in dusty and even in cold conditions. What if it rains and it gets wet? Im not knocking it by far it def has a cool factor but dependability is my concern. The garmins and lowrance gps are water proof and are good in cold weather. I would just hate to take a mini and get it ruined.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I believe the case he has it in takes care of most of those issues if not all, but yes dependability is a factor

1 - 20 of 34 Posts