Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Muffler heat shields

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MaxAZ 
#1 ·
Saw these today in a Summit advertisement and thought they looked kind of neat. A little pricey to cut down on some heat but thought I'd throw it on here to see what others thought. Looks pretty neat how they get the blanket to stay off the actual pipe and create an air gap.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010451/overview/
Of course I'm not sure if most of the heat comes from the muffler cans or cat and tail pipes. Just finished wrapping my system all the way to the cans last week but anything that keeps the heat off my beer chest back there usually gets my interest.

#3 ·
The very best way to reduce heat from the exhaust is to remove the catalytic converter. These things are designed to get VERY hot. I had a similar issue on a KTM 950 Adventure motorcycle. After switching the mufflers to a non cat design, I could touch the mufflers with my hand right after hard riding. The trick is finding a good exhaust for a decent price that are not too loud.

#4 ·
I'd be more interested in just banging the cat out of the stock pipe. Not sure if that creates some other issues though. I would rather spend money on clutch vs exhaust though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.