Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in PA and we will be doing a lot of trail riding with some section of deep mud, creek crossings, etc. I have seen pics of Mavericks online and even on eBay for sale with huge mud tires on them. I have a couple questions for anyone who might have a set up for mud on these machines...

- While I realize its probably not ideal, how does the stock clutching do with larger tires?
- Is the lack or power steering a real challenge with larger tires?
- Any axle or cv problems with the larger set up?

I am not looking to lift the machine, but I have seen tires as large as 33" on these. Again, just in pics, I havent been able to talk to anyone who has done it yet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bigger tires depending on how big will always put a strain on the belt and axles if you go up one or two sizes and know when to let off the juice in a mud hole you should be fine but any bigger you will want to clutch it and upgrade the axles as far as steering u will notice a little bit more resistance when turning

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm running 30 in silverbacks right now and feel like I need p/s and snapped an axle. I probably could have prevented the axle breaking but was having too much fun. As far as clutching goes its much better than the commander, I can do donuts in hi gear with mud tires and so far in low I have not slipped the belt. I have an airdam clutch setup on commander and it does engage better than stock maverick but until I burn a belt up in the Mav I'm gonna keep it stock

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Driller77, how did you break an axle? How bad is it without the powersteering and 30s? Hows she do in the mud? I know its not at all a mud machine but it is 4x4 and where we ride I need to go everywhere else the quads go.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Broke the axle climbing a hill too fast and front wheels were off the ground, when they came down I snapped one, had alot to do with the silverback tires they are very heavy. Also too much throttle. I put p/s on my commander so that is what I'm used to now. The Mav with stockers isn't bad but with the 30's I really want some power steering. That being said the Mav was an absolute beast in the mud, u will have no problem keeping up with the quads

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How was the ground clearance with just adding the tires? I don't have my Mav yet but when I looked at one at a show, the rear suspension seemed really close to the ground, with the stockers. I am up in the air about which tires to get...the 29.5 Outlaw 2s or the 29.5 terminators. Both are very close in weight. What tire widths are you running front/rear?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Bigs in the back and skinnies up front on the Mav. On the commander I'm runnin 29.5 terms and in my opinion they are the best overall for the type of riding I do. They ride very smooth they are very steerable and the tire is soft so when u grab a root in a mud hole they give just a little unlike the silverbacks. That being said I think the terms will be easier on drivetrain components and like I said they have a much better ride. I didn't measure for clearance but I only got hi centered twice last weekend at the muddy gras ride in Easton tx

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, if you like the terms so much why did you switch to silverbacks on the Mav? You running a winch yet? Or any other mods?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My cousin had these tires almost brand new. Sold them to me for next to nothing so I figured I'd try them. They are for sale they have about 80 miles on them. No wench yet only a few factory accessories, UTV inc tie rods and the qe

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. What are your next mods gonna be? Did you bend a tie rod or just do the upgrade before there was a problem?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Bent one in Jacksonville, not sure how. I will be getting s3 to build a roof and stereo for me, I want some tall doors and a wench. Also gotta get power steering. I was gonna get an airdam clutch but I'm gonna wait till I see a need for it now. I almost forgot that I had it wrapped when I bought it, I love the way they look when they are brand new but the plastics don't hold up to good in the woods

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How bad was the tie rod install? Did you have to drill anything out?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yes if u have to do it ask them to email u some instructions. U have to drill the spindle out a little i think a 1/2 in bit other than that really simple just make sure u have some lock tite for the Clevis that goes into the steering rack and don't forget the boot

·
Registered
791 Posts
Driller: What are you going to replace your broken axel with? I am hoping to get Cobra's for mine but he does not have any ready yet, he needs to get a Maverick into the shop to measure everything up. He says that should happen in the next few days....

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have 30" Moto Monsters on mine with an Airdam Clutch, thing pulls like crazy, ate up mud holes with little to no effort. I didnt find the visco lok to be an issue either. I will be installing power steering though to get rid of steering kick back at higher speeds, for safety reasons. over all I was thoroughly impressed all weekend long.

Reactions: RTB

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have 30" Moto Monsters on mine with an Airdam Clutch, thing pulls like crazy, ate up mud holes with little to no effort. I didnt find the visco lok to be an issue either. I will be installing power steering though to get rid of steering kick back at higher speeds, for safety reasons. over all I was thoroughly impressed all weekend long.
Pics? Vids? , I need my mud fix!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Pics? Vids? , I need my mud fix!
I did get a few pics, no vids though lol, I got so caught up in the throttle i forgot to take and vids, plus it was cold and raining 90% of the time. I'll get the few pics I have posted up though

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Gonna try gorilla again. Not real happy with the gorilla on my commander it pops out occasionally. But they have been helpful with that prob.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts