Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally found something that works on mud stains on tires. I'm pretty particular about getting my rig back to "all clean and shiny" after it's trashed with mud/dust/rain etc. Last time at HMT we hit some decent sized mud puddles on the trails at like 40mph and had quite a bit of water/mud come through the everything lol. It was just too fun but it made a mess of the X3.

The simple green / pressure washer method gets everything clean for me except radiator hoses, CV boots, and the tires. CV boots I don't worry about too much because I don't want to get water inside them. Radiator hoses are so hard to reach and you can't see them that I usually don't bother but it does annoy me. However the tires are frustrating, I've tried Bleche Wite, many kinds of wheel / tire cleaners at the parts store, they all still leave a brown-ish color on the tires after they dry.

This last time I tried a cleaner called Spray Nine, and as soon as I sprayed it on the tires you could see the brown stuff dissolving and running down the tire. I mean it was like hitting brake dust with brake parts cleaner. I used a brush to scrub them and even rinsing with the garden hose they were night and day cleaner/blacker than any other wheel or tire cleaner I have tried. I have never bothered with tire shine or dressing on SxS tires because I couldn't get them clean in the first place but this time I did and they turned out great. This tire shine was some cheap aerosol foam stuff from Meguiars, hot shine I think. Here are the pics:

After the ride:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

After simple green and pressure washing:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

After Spray Nine and tire shine:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Reactions: Kenai

·
Registered
39 Posts
my OCD wants me to clean my buggy like this after every ride, but then I realize it's an offroad toy and accept it for "mostly" clean. but that Spray Nine looks like it works really well if you're trying to keep it really new looking or selling tires!

·
Registered
2018 X3 XDS Turbo R
169 Posts
I use a soap cannon with my own brew to wash it down. The Dollar Store (now the $1.25 store) sells a few products called “Awesome”. The original Awesome cleaner mixed with cheap dish detergent and car wash works well. Then I hit the tires with any tire shine I have laying around. The brown vanishes and it’s easier to clean next time.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sucks to do but magic eraser cleans the hoses great. Purple power does great on the tires and is fairly cheap. It will gray the black plastic if left very long so be careful with it on places other than tires

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my OCD wants me to clean my buggy like this after every ride, but then I realize it's an offroad toy and accept it for "mostly" clean. but that Spray Nine looks like it works really well if you're trying to keep it really new looking or selling tires!
I didn't even think of trying to sell tires, that's a good idea.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DId you put your rig in a show and shine? Dirt on tires, kind of expected.
Yup it's expected to get them dirty. But when I clean something I expect it to be clean.

I know this level of detailing isn't for everyone, but it's constructive, better exercise than watching TV, it's better for your mental health than social media, plus it gives you a chance to inspect things and find issues much earlier.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sucks to do but magic eraser cleans the hoses great. Purple power does great on the tires and is fairly cheap. It will gray the black plastic if left very long so be careful with it on places other than tires
Thanks for the tip! Spray Nine actually cleaned the hoses just as well if not better than it did the tires but you have to be able to reach them to wipe/scrub the dirt loose. Hard to do without trashing your hands on sharp bolts and plastic. I used a detailing brush to get some of it.

Oh by the way a detailing brush works amazing on the wheels.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Not knocking your level of detail, your rig, do as you want. If you want a shiny black tires hey shiny black tires. More of a use and have fun toy to me then a clean it like a show car toy thats all. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Not knocking your level of detail, your rig, do as you want. If you want a shiny black tires hey shiny black tires. More of a use and have fun toy to me then a clean it like a show car toy thats all. Enjoy!
exactly ! I bet his purse is spotless. You should hear him whine about having an adult beverage during a trail break !!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer both! 🤙

·
Registered
868 Posts
I use MX ATV wash after pressure washing. It does the same thing and you can see the residue running off the tires as soon as you spray them. I do the full detail dousche out every few times. Where I live trails are wet 9 months of the year so it’s too much to do the full monty every time.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use MX ATV wash after pressure washing. It does the same thing and you can see the residue running off the tires as soon as you spray them. I do the full detail dousche out every few times. Where I live trails are wet 9 months of the year so it’s too much to do the full monty every time.
Yeah that makes sense, also depends on how often you get out riding. We usually have about 1/2" of mud caked on everything by the time we get back. I still think it's way easier to clean if you get it to where you can silicone spray it in between rides. I got some stuff from Stoner called Trim Shine that works good on plastic and lasts a long longer than the aerosol cans.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm a fan of getting the rig back to new post riding. I'm not a fan of the shiny tire look,,, I like them to look new, not reflective.

I found a simple solution of 50/50 Armour All and water works great. The tires need to be clean first, but this blend makes them look very good without being shiny or attracting mucho dirt/dust.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a fan of getting the rig back to new post riding. I'm not a fan of the shiny tire look,,, I like them to look new, not reflective.

I found a simple solution of 50/50 Armour All and water works great. The tires need to be clean first, but this blend makes them look very good without being shiny or attracting mucho dirt/dust.
Like flat black but for tires lol, I like it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
exactly ! I bet his purse is spotless. You should hear him whine about having an adult beverage during a trail break !!!
I'm gonna give the mods a chance, if that doesn't work I'm your huckleberry.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I find the purple power to work a lot better than the MX ATV wash. I use the mx on all the plastic to keep in from discoloring from the purple stuff

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Adam's Tire & Rubber cleaner is the bomb! Makes my Toyos look brand new and does the same for Tensors or anything else made from rubber. Takes about 30 seconds to brush on a 37 and washes right off smell and residue-free
I've tried several Adam's products before, most of them have been very good.

Reactions: AZTrail
1 - 20 of 43 Posts