Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTH... Went on a ride last wknd outside of Gardnerville NV. What was suppose to be a nice desert ride turned into a shiddy mud fest. The car sat overnight and I spent almost 2hr on it the next morning with a power washer only to find this shit on all the painted plastics and stickers. My powder coated LSR roof didnt have a single mark but the large sticker on it was marked up pretty bad. I’ve tried all kinds of products on it and nothing has helped a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hate the mud as well. Couple other RZRs on the trip said they had no marking. Did the foam cannnon, SC1, buffing compounds, etc. Nothing will take it out.

·
Registered
473 Posts
tried WD-40? I babay oiled mine last time I went out, appears I don't have any new marks but I only sprayed the car off day after I got back. I let it sit for 3 weeks in mud splatter and had a hell of a time. Iron content I suppose. We have red dirt and THAT seems to destroy things.

·
Premium Member
9,486 Posts
Hate the mud as well. Couple other RZRs on the trip said they had no marking. Did the foam cannnon, SC1, buffing compounds, etc. Nothing will take it out.
You could try a fine rubbing compound. Just go easy, and use straight wipes like as air travels over the plastic, no swirling like waxing.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Auto parts store--rubbing compound will remove stains and scuffs. These other products will cover them up for a while.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Just a friendly reminder, Its a friggen offroad machine not a Beamer! So much effort only to get it dirty again, you guys crack me up. Don't get me wrong as I clean my machine well after each ride however to spit and polish, not gonna happen lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wondering if these are similar to hard water spots and could be removed with a mildly acidic mixture? White vinegar?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have wet sanded and buffed mine a couple times. I would do that if I had your issue.

·
Registered
607 Posts
There was a thread a year or so ago about a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Don't rub to much as it may dull the plastic. Followed with Pledge furniture wax to get the shine back.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are you sure it's etched? (actually eaten the clear coat down some or melted the plastic a bit. Or surface crap. WD40 removed my spots but they were surface. Vinegar can remove hard water spots, which is most likely what you have from mud that dried, the minerals usually settle to the outside edges. Plastics don't have a clear coat but I believe the 'metallic or colored glossy' plastics have a weak layer of clear bonded. That layer is weak so use of vinegar or wet sanding should be super light.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still not really sure whats going on here. I’ve spent plenty of time during my life detailing paint and trying to remove scratches but this is different. Seems like some type of chemical reaction took place. There were several natural hot springs in the area and the only thing I can think of that may have contributed.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There was a thread a year or so ago about a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Don't rub to much as it may dull the plastic. Followed with Pledge furniture wax to get the shine back.
Love Magic Erasers but like everything else did nothing. When you run your hand across the painted plastics they are still smooth to the touch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts