Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the market to purchase some new seats for my 2018 xrs. Looking for a seat that will help reduce the jarring to my back on rough terrain. I see they make some suspension seats but don’t know anything about them. Can anyone give me some help deciding what seats to purchase? Thanks for the help.

·
Vendor
X3 Max RS
612 Posts
My favorite are the Simpson Pro Sport seats. They are a suspension seat and they are very comfortable. I drove a customer car this weekend with stock seats and couldn’t wait to get back to my seats.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like the original PRP High Back GT. I’m approx 250 lbs and need lots of shoulder and back holding on the sides or my back hurts. The PRP GT is the widest seat and is deep. Very stabilizing for me.

I have sat in many seats and found none as wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
this is a subjective question, the old saying" There is an ass for every seat" comes to mind. What feels good to your narrow skinny ass may not feel good to my wide fluffy keester.

I personally loved a Kirkey aluminum seat I had in my Polasaki build. That seat wrapped around me and kept me in place more than any suspension seat I have sat in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Any votes for the HSP? I see they have the new "soft sides" so you dont get bolstered up the ass when getting in and out......Its a short person problem.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Any votes for the HSP?
I have a set on order, should be here in a week or two. (not the short bolster tho) Personally, I think the stock seats are pretty darn good,,,,, but there are quite a few around here that said a suspension seat will greatly improve the "feel" of the ride,,, so I'm taking a bit of a gamble on their word. There are several folks around here that have really good things to say about the HSP if you poke around a bit.

They are local to me too,,, so if they suck, I can do the "Discount Tire" return thing. 😁

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a set on order, should be here in a week or two. (not the short bolster tho) Personally, I think the stock seats are pretty darn good,,,,, but there are quite a few around here that said a suspension seat will greatly improve the "feel" of the ride,,, so I'm taking a bit of a gamble on their word. There are several folks around here that have really good things to say about the HSP if you poke around a bit.

They are local to me too,,, so if they suck, I can do the "Discount Tire" return thing. 😁
I'm curious if it will help with the 4-6" chop/ washboards?

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
be careful with soft cushy seats. This brings up the age old issue of sine compression and extension. When you have a "suspension seat" (basically a metal framed seat with rope holding your arse up covered in foam and vinyl) you are stretching the ropes under your seat and letting then return back to resting length. During this your seatbelt gets looser and tighter over rough terrain. This lets your spine extend and compress which stresses the neck/back and sometimes ending up with whiplash. This is why the race guys wear "hans" device that connect their helmet to a body harness that prevents extension and compression. race guys also use the non-suspension seats like Sparco carbon fiber shells with dense foam padding.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have HSP seats in mine and they are nice however the flat mounting plates are located under the suspension part of the seat and limit the travel. In their defense Curtis told me they would have had to make the sliders and mounting that would make them very expensive. If I had to do over I would look at other vendors. I went with these because they are owned by the Beard family

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have HSP seats in mine and they are nice however the flat mounting plates are located under the suspension part of the seat and limit the travel. In their defense Curtis told me they would have had to make the sliders and mounting that would make them very expensive. If I had to do over I would look at other vendors. I went with these because they are owned by the Beard family
Thank you for your Honest opinion. The "soft side" really appealed to me. Can anyone chime in about the Simpson and if their mounts limit the travel of the seat?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have HSP seats in mine and they are nice however the flat mounting plates are located under the suspension part of the seat and limit the travel.
Have you ever "bottomed" out the seat (no pun intended😉) and felt the plate while driving?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do drive hard when appropriate, but I try not to jump much. Hopefully I won't find the limits of the seat's travel.

Thx.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'm sure you will like the seats over the OEMs. I drive hard too and find them very comfortable. A word of caution on the mounting bolts. The first seat took a long time to get the bolts in. Then on the second seat, I discovered slits in the bottom of the suspension material that give you access to the bolts. The first seat I installed did not have the slits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts