Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
3,127 Posts
I met up with usaguy to run his modded Maverick against my stock one. He has an intake just like mega's, or Weller's, which is a K&N type mounted to a tube that completely eliminates the stock air box. He also had a larger throttle body and a PC5 tuner with auto tune. The PC5 is pretty sweet! I watched him go into the ECU and change the fuel map a couple times. We both ran stock tires with 9 psi in front and 5.5 in the rear, and both in four wheel drive. The terrain had a few rollers in it. We would do two or three runs each time. On the first run the stock Mav beat the modded one by about two lengths. Pulled two lengths on the start and held it till full speed of about 67 mph. We went back to camp and pulled out the laptop to check what the fuel map was set to. For whatever reason Dynojet had set it to 12.2 air to fuel ratio. That's too rich and not good for power. So he adjusted the map to a target ratio of 13.2, and we both got in his Mav, me with the laptop on my lap, and did a few passes to see what the motor was doing. It looked better than the first runs, so we ran the two again. This time his Mav was about one length behind me. After one more round of playing with the fuel map, and a little driving around to let the auto tune do its thing, the AFR was looking better, so we did one more run. This time both cars were even. He is gonna have it dyno tuned to see if he can get some more power that way. He's also going to pull the intake resonator off and look for any restrictions in it. We were both hoping to see the modded Mav beat the stock Mav, but it just didn't happen. Usaguy is obviously on a mission for more power, but it seems that BRP doesn't want to make it easy! On a side note, after the last run, he put his 8 paddle Skats and buffs on, and we ran them again. He got me on the start, and kept pulling away. I topped out at 68, and he topped out at 74!

· Registered
11,290 Posts
I think testing would be better it both had equal paddle tires for the sand. His mods may improve things, but if it is just spinning the tires in th sand it would be hard to tell. Maybe do the testing in the hard pack.

· Premium Member
9,185 Posts
I met up with usaguy to run his modded Maverick against my stock one. He has an intake just like mega's, or Weller's, which is a K&N type mounted to a tube that completely eliminates the stock air box. He also had a larger throttle body and a PC5 tuner with auto tune. The PC5 is pretty sweet! I watched him go into the ECU and change the fuel map a couple times. We both ran stock tires with 9 psi in front and 5.5 in the rear, and both in four wheel drive. The terrain had a few rollers in it. We would do two or three runs each time. On the first run the stock Mav beat the modded one by about two lengths. Pulled two lengths on the start and held it till full speed of about 67 mph. We went back to camp and pulled out the laptop to check what the fuel map was set to. For whatever reason Dynojet had set it to 12.2 air to fuel ratio. That's too rich and not good for power. So he adjusted the map to a target ratio of 13.2, and we both got in his Mav, me with the laptop on my lap, and did a few passes to see what the motor was doing. It looked better than the first runs, so we ran the two again. This time his Mav was about one length behind me. After one more round of playing with the fuel map, and a little driving around to let the auto tune do its thing, the AFR was looking better, so we did one more run. This time both cars were even. He is gonna have it dyno tuned to see if he can get some more power that way. He's also going to pull the intake resonator off and look for any restrictions in it. We were both hoping to see the modded Mav beat the stock Mav, but it just didn't happen. Usaguy is obviously on a mission for more power, but it seems that BRP doesn't want to make it easy! On a side note, after the last run, he put his 8 paddle Skats and buffs on, and we ran them again. He got me on the start, and kept pulling away. I topped out at 68, and he topped out at 74!
now thats some great real world testing. Thanks guys for trying stuff out.

I think for now i will install my stock airbox for MLK and Presidents day in Glamis and wait for further products to come out.

· Registered
1,487 Posts
On the commander fourm USA says the commander outran the Mav.........Were you there to see that?

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Glamisfan and I had a great time and now I know that BRP isn't going to make the process easy but fortunately after going over the results with Kelly at KMS Performance and Tom at IMSRacing the restriction is in the intake system. BRP couldn't just let it be simple..lol Pulling apart the intake and having the system either replaced or modified will be the only solution at this time.

Only brighter note on Sunday I got the commander tuned and yes after several runs it is quicker and faster on top then the Mav. The more I tuned the dynojet the better it got and the faster it pulled the Mav. In the end the commander's intake might go on the Mav so there aren't any restrictions anymore. My clutch isn't tuned very well for the power of the commander's motor so when I get the rpms down it will pull the Mav even more.

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I will get the Mav's clutch tuned as well cause it drops from 7800 rpms at wot around 50 mphs to 7100 rpms in the sand. The motor goes into over drive too soon and doesn't accelerate as hard. My commander's motor is pretty much just like the Mav but just has more torque and hp yet it pulls much stronger in the mid and this is due in part to the clutch being tuned better. Getting the Mav to accelerate better will be simply doing the same thing to it as was done to the commander minus the motor mods. I think my commander's intake is much better than the Mav's intake and I will replace it sooner or later.

Here is another video: The commander took the lead and pulled even more on top but the angle doesn't show it that well. On MLK maybe I can get someone who knows how to shoot a video better...lol

· Registered
4,535 Posts
but when all that stuff u have on the commander is out for the mav it will beat your commander tho right ?

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
but when all that stuff u have on the commander is out for the mav it will beat your commander tho right ?
No it won't cause the commander has more motor. I will replace the intake on the Mav with the same intake on the commander after MLK and they will be closer but the valves and the head work is better on the commander than the Mav. The MAV will accelerate faster with this better intake and some clutch work but it will need to port the head and match the valves on the commander to keep up. The 2 cars are close but the Mav has a much better suspension.

· Registered
1,487 Posts
No it won't cause the commander has more motor. I will replace the intake on the Mav with the same intake on the commander after MLK and they will be closer but the valves and the head work is better on the commander than the Mav. The MAV will accelerate faster with this better intake and some clutch work but it will need to port the head and match the valves on the commander to keep up. The 2 cars are close but the Mav has a much better suspension.
Fine job on all the R&D.....You've definately put more effort ino these projects than most would....Thanks for the effort.

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Fine job on all the R&D.....You've definately put more effort ino these projects than most would....Thanks for the effort.
You are welcome. I like my car to pull hard and accelerate fast especially in the dunes and the desert but BRP doesn't make it easy. It will be very easy on the Mav especially now that this weekend confirmed that BRP still is restricting it in the intake. They improved the clutch on the Mav but it is so far from the STM clutch that I can't wait to see the Mav with an STM setup tuned properly. The larger TB does make the car hit much harder off the line but the intake doesn't allow it to be used fully. The intake mod is next

· Registered
4,535 Posts
oh you have head work and stuff done to ?nice

i thought it was bolt on stuff, lol sorry

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The commander motor isn't as powerful as the Mav motor stock so if even you get the intake you will not be as fast as Mav unless you do motor work.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.