Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I officially will be starting the mods on the Mav trying to match the performance on the commander without getting into the motor. I got my large 60 mm TB today and will be adding it to the Mav tomorrow when I pick it up from DynoJet. DynoJet has solved the fuel problem by creating a PC5 for the Mav which will allow me to mod the Mav without having fuel issues. I will take off the plenum and verify that intake runners into the head does not have any restrictions. If they do then I might replace the entire intake with the same one that is on my commander. The intake on my commander will work on the Mav but I would prefer to keep it close to stock as possible if I can get the same power. The first part will be tested this weekend in Glamis with GlamisFan's stock Mav.

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey USA, did Dynojet use the PC5 for the commander on the Mav or did they change it completely? I was reading in the other post that they were using the same part # thats for the commander but was curious if they actually did any changes to it. I was getting ready to sell my PC5 & dual autotune set up but if they will work I will hang onto them for later use. Thanks
I will ask the engineer tomorrow when I pick the units up. They did say that the Pc5 along with the autotune was installed on my Maverick so they must of just re-used the part number from the commander cause I can't see them developing a new product so quickly. I will double check tomorrow.

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Room Floor Flooring Granite Countertop
match the commander performance?? thought the mav outrun your commander??
Like I said before the commander had fuel issues. The guys at DynoJet fixed the fuel map and got it running like it suppose to run.

Here is the new larger 58 mm Throttle body

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was under the impression that the tb was a 60mm, is that the tb out of your Mav?
The Mav is going to use a 58 mm for this test and the 60 mm is in my commander. A stock motor commander could only use up to a 56 with no benefit in acceleration over the stock 54 if you went larger. Maybe the Mav motor and intake system can use a 60 mm but first the engineer wants to try a 58. Maybe the limitations are not in the motor but the intake? Maybe Brp has other types of restrictions in the Mav that we are not familar with? Until some form of testing is completed we will not know. The testing this weekend is only about the Mav not the commander and the Mav. Glamisfan I will call you today and let you know where we will be camped at.

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so you can machine these out to 60mm?? I do have a machine shop... can u post a better pic of the inside??
This is a 54 mm BRP TB modified to a 58 mm but it isn't done by any machine shop. Our TBs can't be modified by any machine shop or performance shop. Your ECU will recognize the imperfections and send an error code. Muzzy tried for over year before giving up. Other performance shops tried as well and all failed. I even wasted 500 dollars trusting a performance shop who said they could modified the TB before I was put in touch with this TB expert. The guys that does the TB mod for my commander and now the Mav does only throttle bodies and is 1 of only 3 guys anywhere who does this and does it correctly. He doesn't work for the public just race teams and a selective few performance shops. He will be in Glamis with us to see how this test works. Now lets see if it works on the Mav.

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Glamisfan and I had a great time and now I know that BRP isn't going to make the process easy but fortunately after going over the results with Kelly at KMS Performance and Tom at IMSRacing the restriction is in the intake system. BRP couldn't just let it be simple..lol Pulling apart the intake and having the system either replaced or modified will be the only solution at this time.

Only brighter note on Sunday I got the commander tuned and yes after several runs it is quicker and faster on top then the Mav. The more I tuned the dynojet the better it got and the faster it pulled the Mav. In the end the commander's intake might go on the Mav so there aren't any restrictions anymore. My clutch isn't tuned very well for the power of the commander's motor so when I get the rpms down it will pull the Mav even more.

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I will get the Mav's clutch tuned as well cause it drops from 7800 rpms at wot around 50 mphs to 7100 rpms in the sand. The motor goes into over drive too soon and doesn't accelerate as hard. My commander's motor is pretty much just like the Mav but just has more torque and hp yet it pulls much stronger in the mid and this is due in part to the clutch being tuned better. Getting the Mav to accelerate better will be simply doing the same thing to it as was done to the commander minus the motor mods. I think my commander's intake is much better than the Mav's intake and I will replace it sooner or later.

Here is another video: The commander took the lead and pulled even more on top but the angle doesn't show it that well. On MLK maybe I can get someone who knows how to shoot a video better...lol

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
but when all that stuff u have on the commander is out for the mav it will beat your commander tho right ?
No it won't cause the commander has more motor. I will replace the intake on the Mav with the same intake on the commander after MLK and they will be closer but the valves and the head work is better on the commander than the Mav. The MAV will accelerate faster with this better intake and some clutch work but it will need to port the head and match the valves on the commander to keep up. The 2 cars are close but the Mav has a much better suspension.

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Fine job on all the R&D.....You've definately put more effort ino these projects than most would....Thanks for the effort.
You are welcome. I like my car to pull hard and accelerate fast especially in the dunes and the desert but BRP doesn't make it easy. It will be very easy on the Mav especially now that this weekend confirmed that BRP still is restricting it in the intake. They improved the clutch on the Mav but it is so far from the STM clutch that I can't wait to see the Mav with an STM setup tuned properly. The larger TB does make the car hit much harder off the line but the intake doesn't allow it to be used fully. The intake mod is next

· Registered
2019 max R turbo
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The commander motor isn't as powerful as the Mav motor stock so if even you get the intake you will not be as fast as Mav unless you do motor work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.