Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im not looking to gain any power from this but just simply trying to negative air that i believe is happening and causing particles to get pulled in past the filter. I think with opening up the bottom of the air box to let it breath easier there will be very little vacuum on the out seals and the air should just get pulled from the filter. Any one tried this?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yup! I was thinking the same thing about reducing the vacuum in the box so that sand wouldn't be sucked under the lid. I bought some abs or pvc flange parts, installed it in a hole that I made in the bottom of the air box, and I then put a k&N filter on the flange. I'll take some pictures in a few.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Are you sure its not suppost to operate with a little negative pressure?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I was going to drill some holes and buy some Frogskinz, (snowmobile waterproof stick on breather material), but that stuff was too expensive for my blood! I had the filter laying around, and prolly spent $7 at Lowes.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
With holes drilled at the bottom or below the first dry filter are't you eliminating the effectiveness of the dry filter? Now the air will be sucked in thru the holes and what ever filter the holes have.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What? Your just increasing the air able to go in the box. Your not harming the filter in anyway. And not negative air is never needed nor is dust past the filters.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
What? Your just increasing the air able to go in the box. Your not harming the filter in anyway. And not negative air is never needed nor is dust past the filters.
I understand your not harming the filter, but I was thinking the air passes from top to bottom in the airbox. So the holes would be in between the dry filter and the oiled foam filter. However, I'm thinking I have it backwards. The air comes in from beneath the dry filter and travels upward thru the filter and passes to the oil foam filter thru the space in the top of the airbox.Ok I got ya now. I think I will just be changing the whole airbox and filter set up.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
As long as you don't ever intend on doing any riding in standing water, it should be fine. Several companies make airbox inserts that are about 1" roundand have a course foam pre-filter in them so you get some filtration but much more available air volume....

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Here are some made by Uni-Filter....I use these on my airbox lid on my quads....6 of them are $11.95

Accessories | Uni Filter

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep thats what i was thinking. O yea i will be changing out the entire setup but for the time being it sounds like an improvement

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yep thats what i was thinking. O yea i will be changing out the entire setup but for the time being it sounds like an improvement
I'm all for helping it breathe easier so I already ordered mine from Rocky mountain. Should be on my doorstep by Friday.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I just removed my factory snorkel tube that routes the intake into the fire wall- I removed that hose and now its breaths in right at the air box,

u don't need to drill or add holes

just remove tube takes 2 seconds and ur set ,

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I just removed my factory snorkel tube that routes the intake into the fire wall- I removed that hose and now its breaths in right at the air box,

u don't need to drill or add holes

just remove tube takes 2 seconds and ur set ,
Except that air is unfiltered correct?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
its your main intake hole on the bottom , same as making holes in the bottom

remove the hose and it will suck in quicker then pulling from behind the fire wall routing

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
its your main intake hole on the bottom , same as making holes in the bottom

remove the hose and it will suck in quicker then pulling from behind the fire wall routing
I understand. But your getting your air from a dusty area vs from the under the glovebox and inside the cab.
Can you put a uni filter on whatever the factory tube was connected to at the airbox?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thats correct..plus you are still limited to the air coming in thru the same diameter tube just without the duct work going to under the glovebox......

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I understand. But your getting your air from a dusty area vs from the under the glovebox and inside the cab.
Can you put a uni filter on whatever the factory tube was connected to at the airbox?
ya I think its 2.25 od - u could add a filter on the end of the air box

im usually in front so I don't get to much dust, lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts