Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
This is going to sound stupid. A few years back with a Commander I had a very similar problem at high throttle. Long story short it turned out to be a poor connection on the seat belt bypass I had made. It was probably happening at lower throttle too but not really noticeable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I use CanDoo diagnostic software. It will program keys. I would make sure I'm buying a new OEM key.
Good to know, thanks. Yes, only OEM key, which is what Amazon sells. Cheaper than I thought it would be!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a performance key off of Amazon..
I would go to a Can Am dealer pay the extra money if need be.
Sound like you could possibly have a corrupt performance key..

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
sounds like a bad tune
I believe there is a brp bulletin for a new tune because of misfire

Reactions: Ledfoot

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
the dess key is only a number that the ecu recognizes from a list
the number also is assigned a use like learners or normal
no possible way a key can make a bad tune
but the key could be assigned the wrong use
so the ecu sees the key as on the list or not on the list
last a bad key can not be read

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
3. On a trip prior to last, it would only run ok using the GREEN key. As soon as I put the WHITE key in, within 10 seconds of moving, the check engine light would come on and go into limp mode. (at the time I did not know how to check the codes)
Ok, looking for confirmation to this statement, it may rule out several things or help diagnose.
Question, will it happen at all while not moving after firing up and letting it sit at idle or revving the engine?
If not, does it just do it in forward movement only? or reverse also? (putting in reverse from start up, no forward movement)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Ok, looking for confirmation to this statement, it may rule out several things or help diagnose.
Question, will it happen at all while not moving after firing up and letting it sit at idle or revving the engine?
If not, does it just do it in forward movement only? or reverse also? (putting in reverse from start up, no forward movement)
Hi HP - You know, I have not tried it in reverse! I will try this this weekend around the block. So far this on forward movement only, and will not show up at idle. Only after moving forward for short bit.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Hi HP - You know, I have not tried it in reverse! I will try this this weekend around the block. So far this on forward movement only, and will not show up at idle. Only after moving forward for short bit.
Also if you haven't I would let sit at idle for a bit, rev the motor several times.

If you look into my posting you will find an extensive amount of info and research regarding P0301, P0302, P0303, check engine, limp mode .
Long story however after throwing over $4500 of extensive unneeded repair work and 8 weeks in the shop. Research and different eyes from a different shop came up with a bad $60 wastegate actuator solenoid in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Also if you haven't I would let sit at idle for a bit, rev the motor several times.

If you look into my posting you will find an extensive amount of info and research regarding P0301, P0302, P0303, check engine, limp mode .
Long story however after throwing over $4500 of extensive unneeded repair work and 8 weeks in the shop. Research and different eyes from a different shop came up with a bad $60 wastegate actuator solenoid in about 30 minutes.
Thanks so much, HP! I will try idle for a long while with revs as well. Man, sounds like you had as much trouble as I am getting it figured out. I will certainly check out your post and may just get a new wastegate actuator as well just to try. Great info!!!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Thanks so much, HP! I will try idle for a long while with revs as well. Man, sounds like you had as much trouble as I am getting it figured out. I will certainly check out your post and may just get a new wastegate actuator as well just to try. Great info!!!
Think you may have a different issue, something bothers me with the Key/ECU

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I just spoke with Evolution Powersports and they confirmed that the Maptuner X will program new keys for this machine. I think I will pick one up during Black Friday since I was looking into getting one anyway. Maybe it will assist with the diagnosis. At the very least I can reflash the stock tune to see if that will help. I'll keep everyone posted on the following after this weekend.

1. Putton on a new OEM belt to see if the same things happens - MEGA can't be wrong!
2. Idle for a while and see if code is thrown.
3. Drive in reverse and see if code is thrown.

I will also put in some new spark plugs, so should I stick with OEM or go with something like Brisk Racing?

·
Registered
2019 Maverick x3 x rc turbo r
2 Posts
Ok guys, I really need some help. My rig keeps going into limp mode and the check engine light comes on. Checked the codes, it is P0301, P0302. Yes, I have read through the many posts on here for this issue (misfire). I took it to the dealer, they said I needed a new belt. I called BS and here's why: IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I USE THE WHITE (PERFORMANCE) KEY!!!

The machine will run without issue with the Standard (Green) key, no matter how hard I hammer it. I can run it all day without any codes, any check engine light, any issues whatsoever. But as soon as I put the White key in, I can just drive it around my block once at 20 mph or less and the check engine light comes on. When out in the desert this last weekend, it will do it no matter how hard or soft I drive, within 15-20 seconds of moving.

I have checked all my grounds (which if this was the issue, it should happen with either key). I have taken out and cleaned the spark plugs (again, if this was the issue, it should happen with either key). I replaced the belt (I can understand that the Performance key allows the engine to make more power, but if it was the belt, it shouldn't happen just cruising around my block at 20 mph). Still happening!!! This is driving me crazy and my dealer doesn't know chit. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated! Again, to be clear, this only happens when using the Performance key in the machine, which I just can't understand.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I would reflash the ECU.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I just spoke with Evolution Powersports and they confirmed that the Maptuner X will program new keys for this machine. I think I will pick one up during Black Friday since I was looking into getting one anyway. Maybe it will assist with the diagnosis. At the very least I can reflash the stock tune to see if that will help. I'll keep everyone posted on the following after this weekend.

1. Putton on a new OEM belt to see if the same things happens - MEGA can't be wrong!
2. Idle for a while and see if code is thrown.
3. Drive in reverse and see if code is thrown.

I will also put in some new spark plugs, so should I stick with OEM or go with something like Brisk Racing?
I would perform in order of 2. 3. 1.
Nothing wrong with OEM plug just reduce gap to at least .025 for stock.
I would reflash ECU/Key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok guys, I really need some help. My rig keeps going into limp mode and the check engine light comes on. Checked the codes, it is P0301, P0302. Yes, I have read through the many posts on here for this issue (misfire). I took it to the dealer, they said I needed a new belt. I called BS and here's why: IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I USE THE WHITE (PERFORMANCE) KEY!!!

The machine will run without issue with the Standard (Green) key, no matter how hard I hammer it. I can run it all day without any codes, any check engine light, any issues whatsoever. But as soon as I put the White key in, I can just drive it around my block once at 20 mph or less and the check engine light comes on. When out in the desert this last weekend, it will do it no matter how hard or soft I drive, within 15-20 seconds of moving.

I have checked all my grounds (which if this was the issue, it should happen with either key). I have taken out and cleaned the spark plugs (again, if this was the issue, it should happen with either key). I replaced the belt (I can understand that the Performance key allows the engine to make more power, but if it was the belt, it shouldn't happen just cruising around my block at 20 mph). Still happening!!! This is driving me crazy and my dealer doesn't know chit. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated! Again, to be clear, this only happens when using the Performance key in the machine, which I just can't understand.

[/QUOT

air filter?

·
Registered
29 Posts

Sounds like the same problems I had with P0301, P0302.

This is what I ended up doing to fix it, service the clutches/clean and stay away from the worlds greates belt.
I'm not saying the belt is not good but it will not work in my x3, I have 2 new G-boost belt that will never get used in my X3,

After service my clutches I put in a new G-boost and the problems started, not thinking it would be a belt I looked at everything and talked to a great deal of people that told me it could be this it could be that. After months of not riding due to the code issue my tuner told me to change the belt to one of my old belts and see what happens.

After changing to a OEM old belt that had 1000 miles on it I didn't have any issue car ran great. After that I got a new OEM belt and never had another issue with codes.

Right now I have a Gates red line belt that works great.

I have clutch work as well as stage 4 tune running 30 tires, so trust me clean the clutches and get a new or used OEM belt and see what happens before spending a great deal of money on stuff you don't need.

If I'm wrong then you can spend the money, cheaper to check the low cost first.

Hope it helps you out.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts