Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm having a misfire issue that seems to have developed. The machine is a 2017 x3 xrs, did this a couple times on its first ride and I didn't quite realize what was going on. I took it to the dealer, we drained the fuel system, fueled her up and off I went.
Then I had the same issue again. It will start mis firing, turn a code on after just a short bit and say limp home. Then it quit misfiring, ran perfect for about 300 miles.

Now, it misfires every time I try to ride it. It started off misfiring about 6300 rpm. Now it's down to misfire at 5600. It seems to be getting worse.

I put spark plugs in it, no change. Maybe even got worse. What's really strange is I can pin it, it will misfire and not pull, then I can idle down and sometimes it will pick the cylinder up and idle fine or sometimes it will just sit there misfiring at idle. If i shut it off and re fire it, it always fires up on all cylinders.

Anyone have any ideas? This thing is currently a 28000 pos

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys I'm having a misfire issue that seems to have developed. The machine is a 2017 x3 xrs, did this a couple times on its first ride and I didn't quite realize what was going on. I took it to the dealer, we drained the fuel system, fueled her up and off I went.
Then I had the same issue again. It will start mis firing, turn a code on after just a short bit and say limp home. Then it quit misfiring, ran perfect for about 300 miles.

Now, it misfires every time I try to ride it. It started off misfiring about 6300 rpm. Now it's down to misfire at 5600. It seems to be getting worse.

I put spark plugs in it, no change. Maybe even got worse. What's really strange is I can pin it, it will misfire and not pull, then I can idle down and sometimes it will pick the cylinder up and idle fine or sometimes it will just sit there misfiring at idle. If i shut it off and re fire it, it always fires up on all cylinders.

Anyone have any ideas? This thing is currently a 28000 pos

Thanks!
Have you modded the engine at all? If bone stock, this is clearly something the dealer should handle. Sounds like bad ECM or bad programming of ECM. I would check harness to ECM, coil packs, really all engine wiring harnesses. All it would take is a loose engine harness to produce intermittent ignition issues like this (Miss fire codes). Very frustrating I know.....you have to be methodical and check every connection. Unplug and reseat all connection points, even if they look connected.
Not sure why dealer thought it was fuel system with those codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm getting the same thing. Showing a code P0302. Just started a few days ago and happens about an hour into a ride when I'm going down the road at 45 to 50 mph.

I don't have any solutions for you but there was a thread I found on older mavs that some people think it might be a flat spot on the belt causing vibration that the engine sees as a knock. I'm going to change my belt and check/reconnect the coils to see if it resolves the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

This one is for sure actual misfire. It will idle with a dead cylinder sometimes.

Engine is stock.

I have checked the coil connections. Changed the plugs as there is a service bulletin about some units having misfire due too to much thread grease or something.

Any other ideas? It sure acts like a coil pack failure to me. But it seems strange that I get the 0302 and sometimes 0301 code. I really doubt two packs are failing at the same time?

Jake

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks guys.

This one is for sure actual misfire. It will idle with a dead cylinder sometimes.

Engine is stock.

I have checked the coil connections. Changed the plugs as there is a service bulletin about some units having misfire due too to much thread grease or something.

Any other ideas? It sure acts like a coil pack failure to me. But it seems strange that I get the 0302 and sometimes 0301 code. I really doubt two packs are failing at the same time?

Jake
I've got to change my belt anyway and it makes a good excuse.

I'm going to put new plugs in next week. If the problem continues I'll swap the coil packs and see it the problem changes cylinders.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer said fuel pump is fine but im getting both codes at 4500 rpm or so...
Replaced so far is ecu coil and wires tps injectors... Any insight i only have 3 miles on it since bought getting really frustrated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So update on my car. It would always throw two misfire codes. Brp was convinced it was a coil pack failure and it was misfiring so hard that the center cylinder thought it was misfiring as well. We put 3 fresh coils on it and she rips now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update mines still down but it now revs slowly in neutral up to full throttle... Can not stomp on it or it throws misfire codes

Waste gate??

·
Registered
98 Posts
After 4,500km without any hiccups I got a check engine light. This happened shorty after refueling... I filled it up with 93 as full as I could possibly get it... I'm thinking this was a bad move as it was a hot day and the underground fuel storage tanks are probably very cold as the ground hasn't completely thawed around here. I thought maybe the gasoline expanded too much and made the pump do weird things?

It happened cruising down the road for a sustained period at 50mph. I pulled over, turned the machine off, tried to retrieve the code but the CEL went off after turning the machine off.
5 minutes later I continued on my way and it happened again but this time went to into limp mode. Again I turned the machine off and the problem was gone before I could get the code.
The next day after driving 150km (same tank of gas) the CEL came on and right away I pulled over and retrieved code: O P0302. The CEL cleared after sitting for a couple minutes.
The machine seems to be running fine. Everytime CEL came on was after sustained cruising speed of 50mph at ~5500rpm

Any ideas? Kinked fuel line?

·
Registered
189 Posts
After 4,500km without any hiccups I got a check engine light. This happened shorty after refueling... I filled it up with 93 as full as I could possibly get it... I'm thinking this was a bad move as it was a hot day and the underground fuel storage tanks are probably very cold as the ground hasn't completely thawed around here. I thought maybe the gasoline expanded too much and made the pump do weird things?

It happened cruising down the road for a sustained period at 50mph. I pulled over, turned the machine off, tried to retrieve the code but the CEL went off after turning the machine off.
5 minutes later I continued on my way and it happened again but this time went to into limp mode. Again I turned the machine off and the problem was gone before I could get the code.
The next day after driving 150km (same tank of gas) the CEL came on and right away I pulled over and retrieved code: O P0302. The CEL cleared after sitting for a couple minutes.
The machine seems to be running fine. Everytime CEL came on was after sustained cruising speed of 50mph at ~5500rpm

Any ideas? Kinked fuel line?
I would start with new spark plugs and go from there

1 - 20 of 39 Posts