Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,751 Posts
I am under the impression the staging is right at Veckel and the 8.

Are we staging very far from the intersection?

Tim

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I described the staging area several posts back. It’s very close to the interstate. If you are coming from the east you will exit Vekol Rd and turn left, go over the bridge and the road will curve a bit and change to dirt. We will stage there. If you are coming from the west, exit Vekol Rd and turn right. The staging area is 100 yards from the intersection where the road is dirt. Whatever time we decide to meet I will do my best to be there early so everyone will see my car and know they are in the right place.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Going into town will add about an hour and a half (or more) which would put us back at the trucks and loading when it’s the hottest part of the day. Any thoughts?
Lunch in Gila Bend would be a bad idea. The trails going into GB are more silty and dusty than the rest of the trails.
We would be giving up cooler temps for hotter temps in the afternoon.
It would be better to finish the ride at 2pm than 5pm.

In order for me to stage at 7 and ride at 7:30 I will probably have to camp there Friday night, or get up at 5am or sooner on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Ok JDBPFlYER, you asked to lead so you get to call the ride time.
Sticking with 8:30 or moving it a little earlier?
Let's make a definitive call time and get everything set.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Since the ride is just a few short days away, I’ll pose the question one last time regarding stage time and ride time. Currently we are at 8:30 staged and 9:00 ride time. Whether we are coming from Tucson or the greater Phoenix area we all pretty much looking at an hour and a half driving time to get to the staging area. Temps forecasted for the day are a high of 91, which we all know will be right around 4pm. On a previous ride the average speed for the entire ride was 35-40 based upon the miles travelled and the hour trip indicator on the dash. That particular ride was a bit over 100 miles since we did a few side trails. Given it is a group ride the average speed will probably be a little slower as we will be spread out further for dust. So, I will ask the group for additional input and post the time based on feedback. If I don’t get anything one way or the other by noon tomorrow I will make the command decision and post the time. Fair?

In the interests of time saved at the pre-ride meet and greet, I’ll also ask for suggestions on radio frequency (don’t cringe Tim). While I prefer to use the GMRS frequencies not everyone has that capability and I’m flexible either way. Does everyone attending the ride have a radio?

·
Premium Member
7,751 Posts
I would like an earlier meet than 8:30, my preference. Even 8:00 AM might be a good compromise. Just my opinion. So I vote earlier than 8:30 for 8:00 AM.

I have a dual band radio but as you know even guys who do may not be able to face set a frequency so to me that's not an option for most.

I would prefer just a standard pre programmed frequency like Mag7 which for most is channel 11. The closer you get to channel 1 weatherman the most likely all radios will have that frequency pre programmed.

If we disturb any drug mules or border crossers with the chosen frequency we can always change it on the fly, after all that's the only people likely to be out there with radios.

If by some chance we encounter the FCC out there I vote we all point to you to save ourselves!😂

Tim

·
Registered
2019 X3 RC
42 Posts
I'm good with 8 meet or even 730 and ride by 8. Also have rugged radio. Be my first run with it so hopefully I got it all correct. Ha

·
Premium Member
7,751 Posts
I'm good with 8 meet or even 730 and ride by 8. Also have rugged radio. Be my first run with it so hopefully I got it all correct. Ha
Just bring some basic hand tools, spare belt, a spare tire and or a way to repair a tire, some fix a flat or a small compressor etc.

Sounds like we wont need spare fuel but I keep some at the trailer just in case.

If you have any questions any of the guys including myself will be glad to answer them.

Get to know your radio. How to change frequencies etc.

Tim

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Depending on the age of your radio, the programming MAY be different. To clarify, I have 2 frequencies for MAG7, with the primary being 153.380, narrow-banded and 150.830 for the secondary, also narrow-banded.

While I probably won't need it, I do carry 2 gallons of fuel for spare and will be happy to share in a pinch, along with a jack, compressor, tire repair kit, etc. I'm sure for those who don't have these things someone on the ride will.

I second Tim's sentiment, get to know your radio and what's programmed in it so you're not scrambling on ride day.

·
Premium Member
7,751 Posts
Most pre programmed lists do not include Mag7-2.

Channel 11 on most pre programmed is Mag7 or if you like Mag7-1. 153.380. I doubt anyone has Mag7-2. Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Okay, that settles that, MAG 7 it is. Does everyone in the group have that frequency?

On ride day, I will have this frequency in my truck as well if anyone has any problems finding the staging area before our pre-ride meeting. I'll probably be there a bit earlier in case people start showing up early.

Like Tim said, the only ones on the radio at that time will probably be the smugglers!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have a ‘spare’ handheld that plugs directly to a headset, which I also have, if someone needs/wants to use if for the ride. Pre-programmed for mag 7 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 X3 RC
42 Posts
I have a ‘spare’ handheld that plugs directly to a headset, which I also have, if someone needs/wants to use if for the ride. Pre-programmed for mag 7 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My neighbor may have to barrow it, he doesn't have a radio in his...... Did we decide on what time for sure 8?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I know I said I would post the time by noon today but I will be busy for the day so here it is:

Staged at 8 for pre-ride and riding by 8:30. Like I said a few posts ago, I will have my radio on MAG 7 153.80 in my truck on the way to the staging area and will keep it on while I unload and wait for everyone to show up. Just call out for JD if you need anything.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and it should be a great ride !

·
Premium Member
7,751 Posts
I'll be sure and use my best CB radio etiquette!

"Breaker 153.380, this is Maverick looking for JD...
I repeat this is Maverick calling out to JD, you got your ears on JD?

I'm coming in hot and looking for a place to set my landing gear down, come back....

JD, don't leave me in a holding pattern come back...."

I suspect by knowing the lingo the FCC will never know I'm not a licensed ham..... but just a regular ham! 😂

Tim

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The latest forecast is 96* on Saturday.

I would suggest that everyone make an effort to arrive as early as possible.
If everyone is there and ready to ride before 8:30 then we can get an earlier start.
Having said that, I hope I am not the last to arrive. 😜

PS: let's try to save most of the bench racing until after the ride.

Reactions: JDBPFLYER
61 - 80 of 91 Posts