Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to do another all day ride!

Thinking of Saturday April 3rd or 10th.

I know that is out a little ways but have several business meetings and conflicts before then.

Florence AZ area has come up as a possible ride area

Who woukd like to go and what rides have you been wanting to do? Looking for longer rides with a destination worth seeing.
Open to suggestions and ride details.

This would be leave staging area at 8 am cime back later that night around 5 ish.

These are fast but friendly rides with stops every few hours to get out of the car and shoot the breeze with some good people.
It is a great way to meet local riders and see all the cool stuff they have done to their rigs.

Please reply if your interested or have ideas of a good day ride.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m interested. Also a suggestion for destination......meet at Vekol Road off of I-8 and stage there. Ride west to Gilda Bend (there’s a track area there) and return. A touch over 100 miles and a great ride. Scott_F and I did it a few weeks ago. Fuel and eats are available in town if needed.
Do you have any pics or additional details about the ride it's self?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
We might be able to do this ride. What's the chosen route, Box Canyon, park at the gate and hike to Martinez Cabin and Mine?

It's time to do another all day ride!

Thinking of Saturday April 3rd or 10th.

I know that is out a little ways but have several business meetings and conflicts before then.

Florence AZ area has come up as a possible ride area

Who woukd like to go and what rides have you been wanting to do? Looking for longer rides with a destination worth seeing.
Open to suggestions and ride details.

This would be leave staging area at 8 am cime back later that night around 5 ish.

These are fast but friendly rides with stops every few hours to get out of the car and shoot the breeze with some good people.
It is a great way to meet local riders and see all the cool stuff they have done to their rigs.

Please reply if your interested or have ideas of a good day ride.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Sorry I don’t have any pics of the ride. The ride would stage on Vekol Road, on the south side of the interstate. It is a well maintained dirt road with plenty of parking and a few boondock camping spots scattered for about a mile or so along the road. The trail is basically open desert with the usual vegetation for low desert, mostly what you see in and around the Phoenix area with lots of tall cacti. It’s lower elevation and offers some great views throughout the ride. The trail is fast and offers some technical turns and the like but overall is free from the constant rocks that plague many areas. It’s sand and hard pack for the majority of the ride. The trail borders the southern edges of the Barry Goldwater and for the most part will parallel the interstate westbound after going south on Vekol Road for a few miles. The ride finishes on the east side of SR85, north of the Gila Bend AAF. From there we can go into town and get fuel and food if wanted. Scott_F did the track area when we were there but I declined. Maybe he will chime in on that part. I have the route mapped on GAIA and can send it to you if you’re interested. There are some additional loops that can be added to the ride for more miles or to change up the route somewhat. No permit is needed since the trail does not enter the Goldwater but getting one is easy and can be done online.

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Any place we have not gone before is at the top of the list for me. Just my 2 cents Kevin.

Tim

Reactions: Extrememc

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Any place we have not gone before is at the top of the list for me.
The Vekol Valley ride is fun like JD describes, and it is in the middle between Phoenix and Tucson, making it a good place for us to meet up.
It will be fun if you like to ride some trails that you have never ridden before.
Overnight camping would be no problem. I'm down if we can do it before it gets too hot.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like everyone is up for a ride down south.
I'm good with doing the Gila Bend ride.

I see trekol rd on i8 and casagrand but vekol rd. Runs east west along I8, is it further west outside of casagrand where you park?

I just need to get some maps ect to post here so everyone knows where to go.

Is everyone who posted good to do this Ride? If so do you have any conflicts with the two ride dates suggested?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I see trekol rd on i8 and casagrand but vekol rd. Runs east west along I8, is it further west outside of casagrand where you park?
No, Vekol Valley Rd runs North and South. It is 25+ miles east of Gila Bend and 33 miles west of 10.

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
No, Vekol Valley Rd runs North and South. It is 25+ miles east of Gila Bend and 33 miles west of 10.
So depending on how far East or West you live will decide which way you come. Im pretty far west in Phoenix I may come from Gila Bend. Tim

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
So it sounds like we’re interested in doing this ride. I’m happy to host and lead if everyone is good with that. I’ll throw this out there to see if there’s interest in camping as well. Depending on the level of interest I might drag my hauler out and stay overnight Saturday or might even go Friday afternoon and stay until Sunday. If there’s enough interest there are a few loop trails we could do on Sunday that aren’t very long which would let everyone get out of there early enough on Sunday to get home in time for dinner. If not no big deal. All we need to do is decide on the date.

If you are coming from Gila Bend, get on I-8 and go east to Vekol Road exit. Turn right at the top of the ramp and the staging area is in about 100 or so yards.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Lots of if's for me at the moment as I have a lot of work to do to my car in order to make this ride . But if I can and we do this ride on the 3rd I could be into camping as my birthday is on the 4th and I have a 4 day weekend . I'll know in a couple of weeks .

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So it sounds like we’re interested in doing this ride. I’m happy to host and lead if everyone is good with that. I’ll throw this out there to see if there’s interest in camping as well. Depending on the level of interest I might drag my hauler out and stay overnight Saturday or might even go Friday afternoon and stay until Sunday. If there’s enough interest there are a few loop trails we could do on Sunday that aren’t very long which would let everyone get out of there early enough on Sunday to get home in time for dinner. If not no big deal. All we need to do is decide on the date.

If you are coming from Gila Bend, get on I-8 and go east to Vekol Road exit. Turn right at the top of the ramp and the staging area is in about 100 or so yards.
You can host and lead, I'm good with April 10th.
Just realized April 3 is Easter weekend and we are babysitting grandkids all weekend.

Booked every weekend until then with work.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.