Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The "wings" between the exhaust and the shocks is melting and warping a little bit from the exhaust. Anybody else's doing this?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Yep. I'm going to use the plastic as a template and make some out of some 1/8 aluminum plate I have laying around. The Aluminum will dissipate the heat way better and hopefully keep the rear shocks a little cooler.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Ill probably wrap my exhaust, it helped out a lot. If you make a shield out of aluminum just make sure you space it at least .5" off the plastic but im sure you already know this.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yep. I'm going to use the plastic as a template and make some out of some 1/8 aluminum plate I have laying around. The Aluminum will disapate the heat way better and hopefully keep the rear shocks a little cooler.
UTV Inc. Here's your next project.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't get it....all those test rides they had and not one maverick showed signs of the plastic melting. They should of fixed it on the production models. Way to go brp.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't get it....all those test rides they had and not one maverick showed signs of the plastic melting. They should of fixed it on the production models. Way to go brp.
Any of the test ride vid's I watched the Mavericks were not getting ridden hard enough to melt anything

·
Registered
853 Posts
After seeing this message I went out and checked mine and nothing, they look brand new. I wonder why yours is running so much hotter. What kind of riding do you do?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Any of the test ride vid's I watched the Mavericks were not getting ridden hard enough to melt anything
Exactly!!!

Mine also look fine!

Reactions: so-ill1980

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Ill probably wrap my exhaust, it helped out a lot. If you make a shield out of aluminum just make sure you space it at least .5" off the plastic but im sure you already know this.
You think a 1/2" ? I was planning on using steel fender washers for spacers since the steel won't soak up the heat as quick as the aluminum, and would leave about a 1/8" air gap.Maybe I'll double that up.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
melting plastics....lol....im an expert on that now. i had a polaris back in 2010, brand new, 50 miles in, with moderate riding, no harsh crap, melted the back air filter box and nearly caught air filter on fire. polaris responce was "it must be an isolated incident". ok, fine, except a quick internet search brought up so many posts i stopped reading them. its cool, they replaced it and stuck some tape over it.

my front plastic hood always had a bad bow effect in it, they claimed plastic shrinkage (ya right, shrinkage..lol)... checked out other dealers found about 75% come that way. real shotty work and fit... move forward about 300 miles and the back air filter box is once again melted, plastics dripping like lava down on engine, after 30 days and 3 complaints including to the consumer safety board, they decided to fix it. this all within 4 months of new.

1 week later and 1 trip later, my son was riding passenger and said to stop, the plastic tabs that hold seat on had melted off, seat had melting holes in it and nearly on fire. once again polaris claims this is teh first they heard. hmmmm, why do they sale a seat mount fix kit with steel prongs....lol..never heard of it huh? again do a search, its everywhere. 2 weeks later. guess what, air filter box AGAIN. they put a new one on and said there done with it, apply some heavy layers of heat shield tape, wrapp it 10 times, drive lower than 30mph... that is polaris who said that to, that would make it look like a giant silver ghetto job there and no way to get to air filter, a horrible band aid that wont even fix it... from that day i was done with the crap polaris makes. this is a sore issue with me, how they have awful customer service, blaim rider, say they never heard of it, lie to customers, act like its our fault on something like a melted air box??? on a new machine. these machines shoudl be made to ride how you want. I could go on with 2 other issues but you get the point.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Good point.........

1 - 20 of 37 Posts