Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hear you. I grew up on and rode dirtbikes until I was 45. Then I bought a quad after Years of taking a beating started catching up with me and all my friends abandoned bikes all together. While the quad was ok, it wasn't as fun as a bike. Last year I bought my first SxS and immediately hated it, but again, if I wanted to ride with anybody I had to follow the group I hung out with. It took me a while to figure out why I didn't like it. then it hit me. It's because I just sit there. In a chair. With the bike and not so much with the quad, I had to make them work. It was up to me the way the machines would operate and ride. I was the essential element to my enjoyment. With the SxS there's nothing to do but push a throttle pedal and steer. Body English has no effect with this thing, which made it boring.
It's starting to grow on me. it has it's pluses with being able to carry stuff for that long days ride. I don't get wore out, I can ride through the billions of puddles around here without getting completely soaked. that's a huge plus when the weather turns cold. I have no reason to sell it, but I don't ride it nearly as much as I thought I would.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Where you ride and who you ride with makes all the difference. Unless you like the slow technical trails, speed is what makes SXSs fun. No reason to have a 90 mph capable machine unless you use it for what it is designed for. I rode and raced dirt bikes for years and loved every minute of it. I had a Rhino for a couple of years. My adult son had an OG Maverick and after driving it a couple of times I was hooked and at 65 years old I bought one, too. 3 years ago I bought a X3 Turbo R. Speed is what makes it fun. Now at 70 years old this year has been the most fun I have ever had. It started in January with ice racing on frozen lakes in Northern Michigan. It has continued the rest of this year by riding the trails with my son and some of the same guys I raced with. We ride fast. We push each other and it has made me get to know the limits of the machine and my ability to drive it. I am lucky to be in such a great riding area and to have friends to enjoy it with.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
at first i wasn't 100% sure i'd love our sxs vs our outlander. Sure it was twice as much power, and the ability to haul no only my wife, but our minions as well. But i had the same feeling of will it be as fun and challenging as riding the quad?

Then came the first ride with my wife, and my stepdaughter. We were riding along with a family friend and we hit the washboard area of a trail and we just floated over it. Never lost control of steering, wasn't being sent to the moon on every bump, and i was doing 40+ over them. While on the outlander i would have been going 5-10 tops, and knocking my fillings out, while getting thrown into the handlebars by my wife bouncing around behind me.

as we floated across that section my wife and i looked at one another and both said "worth every penny". Due to personal reasons we haven't rode as much as he had hoped this summer, but that is changing soon. So we will be getting a lot more seat time in the next 3 weeks :)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
OP, give it some time. Like most things in life there is an adjustment curve to overcome that we humans resist! lol
I too started racing dirt bikes then Honda Pilots then Quads then Woodsbuggy's and now SxSs. At 66 the cage comes with age.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I was the opposite, I thought it would be boring and bought it mostly for my wife but I need up loving it and havent riden a quad since

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Haven’t had my x3 very long and it’s my first UTV coming from quads and bikes. I have drove it like I had planned when I bought it, but I just don’t think I like it. Anybody else have this issue when they first went to UTVs? Obviously you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t have end up liking it. Just wondering if it’s just me.
I’ll give 5k cash for it right now. Lol don’t even know what you have . If you want a 4 wheeler , I will never call it a quad I can throw in a 1986 Fortrax 70 to sweeten the deal. Ha ha ha. Mint condition. If I do that you might owe me boot. Ha ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
For me, I just live driving. I don’t care what, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, dirt, pavement, tracks, whatever. Off road I definitely prefer hills and am fortunate that we have great options close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fantastic scenery! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for all the advice and words of wisdom. I just don’t think I’m a UTV guy yet. Maybe a few years down the road. If so I’ll look forward to rejoining the forum. Good stuff here. A lot you know your stuff.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
Thanks for all the advice and words of wisdom. I just don’t think I’m a UTV guy yet. Maybe a few years down the road. If so I’ll look forward to rejoining the forum. Good stuff here. A lot you know your stuff.

Thanks
Sounds like you're giving up on it? I wouldn't, IMO. Like mentioned, there's a learning curve, just like a car, dirt bike, skate board, whatever. At first you might not like it or hate it.

After awhile you'll wonder how you went without one!

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
2021 XRC Turbo
6 Posts
I have always been a 4wheeler and dirt bike guy too. I quickly got used to 100 miles in this car and not feeling like I just got my ass kicked. Love being able to haul the kiddo and carry more gear. It will go way more places than my other machines as well. I love this thing but was unsure at first as well.

·
Premium Member
14,109 Posts
I have always been a 4wheeler and dirt bike guy too. I quickly got used to 100 miles in this car and not feeling like I just got my ass kicked. Love being able to haul the kiddo and carry more gear. It will go way more places than my other machines as well. I love this thing but was unsure at first as well.
I still have all 3, love all. SXS, dirt bike, and quad. They all have a place, and they're all fun to ride / drive!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haven’t had my x3 very long and it’s my first UTV coming from quads and bikes. I have drove it like I had planned when I bought it, but I just don’t think I like it. Anybody else have this issue when they first went to UTVs? Obviously you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t have end up liking it. Just wondering if it’s just me.
Some people like cars some people like trucks it's all in your taste you grew up your identity v's and that's what your problem is gonna like because you can control them better other people have never ridden ATV and they like their side-by-side by side because they're used to driving nothing wrong would you not like it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's all good! But it definitely sounds like you are both needing 'more' when the time comes to ride &, you are physically ablebodied enough to handle the rigors & physical demands of smaller / more exposed / lighter forms of off road transportation. IE: dirt bike or quad.

And honestly,.. that's totally ok. We are not all of one mold & we are not all the same age or physical condition either.

My personal story is me coming out of Mini-Bikes into Dirt Bikes & Enduro's, then gradually moving to quads (Blaster through Banshee & Raptor) & often owning both at the same time on & off for 20-25 years.

And then.. age comes into play as the tendons in my forearms start tearing (aka tennis elbow type $#it) as I'm reaching 40 and it interferes with my ability to play & perform (guitar & piano) as the semi professional musician I fancy myself being & thusly..
I sadly had to give up trail riding bikes & quads (handlebars) to feel better physically & regain my musical dexterity.
No doubt dat $#it gotta suck right?? sayin yo..

Anywho, Fast Forward 10+ years that keep me out of the woods & off the trails and then... Enter the X3 RR!!!
Talk about a sense of appreciation for riding a SXS..?
I've been nothing but grateful, appreciative & riding once or twice a week in the mountains & surrounding woodlands ever since.

To sum my my appreciation & elation with my X3 XDS RR and what it's given to my life...
Just lemme just say this,

Thank you Jesus.

..and God Bless Timmy, Barbara, Mark, John & all the rest of my friends at Maverick Forum..zzzzz...
oops! I'm so tired I started typing my prayers. LOL

But I totally get it bra. You do what you gotta do while you can do it. Just remember what a SXS can do for ya if & when the time comes.
A nice SXS really can feel like a genuine gift from God.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quads are great they go almost everywhere and with a little body switch you can flick them around with ease...but God damn if it ain't fun running 60mph over some ruff terrain like it ain't an issue..also love not getting up in the morning feeling like I owed my quad money and it had to make an example out of me. It's a different feeling in a utv for sure but its fun to cruise and hit the sand and flat foot that bastard when you wanna tear it up...trying airing it out a bit...you may like how it feels.
Take a peek at the fun to be had

·
Registered
2018 Maverick X3 Max X rs Turbo R
47 Posts
Like others have said, I rode motorcycles and then quads for years. We definitely feel more involved and part of the experience riding those other off road vehicles... but man, my back and arms kill me if I spend any real time riding them anymore. With our X3 Max, I enjoy having others with me as we all enjoy the same experience. We just added the PCI Trax+ intercom, so I'm loving the way we can have conversations without yelling at each other, and the hearing protection that means I don't hear the engine and clutch whine either.

We take our camp chairs, enjoy the beach, have a picnic out on the trails, and get away from all of the masked and afraid masses. Summed up, we enjoy our own form of social distancing, and I'm still able to walk and talk without pain after a day driving around.

Give your SxS some time, find the right group to enjoy your outings together, and you'll find there are a lot of advantages to the SxS.

Cheers,
Scott

Reactions: Mountain-Maverick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Give it a little time….. then you will spend hours wrenching on it !! (We have a 2 seater and a 4 seater.) You will also enjoy the level of engineering that was put into these !! Time to change front control arm bushings … enjoy the day !!! Definitely not a 5-10 minute repair like on a Polaris RZR. Change the oil and spend more time cleaning up the oil drips from your skid plate and rear frame. Replace the oil filter - canister style - and then use a can of brake / carb cleaner to get the overflow of oil from the right side of the engine, oil cooler, skid plate and frame. Do that obviously same time as the oil change so you are only cleaning up that mess once !! Luckily the primary clutch lasts a good long time and the secondary is not bad to rebuild …. Or build a new one… just will need a 2nd hand for indexing the helix and starting the 3 bolts.
Yeh they do look cool… and three cylinders are great too.
Enjoy it… even the Kawi’s KRX 1000 Teryx can be a pain too….. we have 4 of them

·
Registered
88 Posts
I grew up on dirt bikes from that first Trail 90 ride. Had 3 wheelers and quads too. Last quad was a built LTR 450, I was just getting too old to come off that thing at 60 mph. With age comes a cage I guess. I had earlier sxs’s and have a Honda Talon R now. I bought it for the transmission. It’s an engaging machine and I love rowing the gears or downshifting into turns. Closest thing to a 4 wheel dirt bike in my opinion but it is under powered and has limitations. Can’t wait for my new 2022 X3 to get here and enjoy that extra 100 HP. Whether 2, 3 or 4 wheels, steering wheel or handlebars, as long as you are out there enjoying it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts