Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that run the Maxxis Liberty 30x10x14 tires on your X3, what pressures are you typically running for hard pack and desert riding. I've read and researched everything I can find and the X3 RC manual is showing 24-30 pounds rear and 18 front. Seems to me to be way too high for that tire when Maxxis is showing a recommended pressure of 18. When responding, please indicate front and rear pressures and type of terrain. Any other ride quality and tire longevity remarks are welcomed as well. Thanks

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
For those of you that run the Maxxis Liberty 30x10x14 tires on your X3, what pressures are you typically running for hard pack and desert riding. I've read and researched everything I can find and the X3 RC manual is showing 24-30 pounds rear and 18 front. Seems to me to be way too high for that tire when Maxxis is showing a recommended pressure of 18. When responding, please indicate front and rear pressures and type of terrain. Any other ride quality and tire longevity remarks are welcomed as well. Thanks
I have the 32x10x14's and ran anywhere from 12 to 18psi. Depends on how hard you push the tire. 18psi seemed pretty hard and I an gonna try 16psi next desert outing

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I also run 32’s. In the rocks I generally run all around 10psi. Out in the desert I will usually bump 13-15 just to firm them up a little. Ride is good and even and 10 not a ton of sidewalk flex but sliding corners and such out in the desert you would certainly get some. I probably run on the lower pressure side than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Do you typically match front and rear pressures or do you offset them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve been running 10# front and 12# rear. Rides much better and the tread has a much flatter ground patch.
6# front 8# rear in the dunes. Works ok.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate everyone giving their input. I'll be riding today since it will be such a great day here. I will adjust my pressures to 14 front and 16 rear to start and see how it goes, then drop them later in the ride like Sandlizard suggests and see what happens. I just can't get my head around the major difference in pressure from Can-Am book and tire manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I rode just under 150 miles yesterday. Started out with 17 front and 18 rear and the difference in handling was immediately felt...for the better. I stopped briefly after about 50 miles and checked the tires. Due to temps, etc the pressure had gone up about 2 pounds each, front and rear. I adjusted to 15 front and 16 rear and rode the rest of the day. I'm happy at those pressures as the handling improved dramatically but was very predictable. Now begins the longevity test. Overall for the terrain I ride in mostly the Liberty tires are great, and when I am on the pavement, they do very well. If anyone has an additional thoughts, please share since I'm still learning the finer points of this specific car.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good to know I appreciate the information. I'll drop down to 15 all around this weekend and then lower depending on how it works with my suspension set-up. Still no response from Maxxis or BRP regarding the huge difference in owner's manual vs tire manufacturer specs. My emails went out before I posted this.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hey JD, I am running my 32x10R15 Liberty tires at 8 psi and I wouldn't consider running over 10 psi. Try it, you'll like it.

When are we going riding?

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm always cautious of running them too low for longevity and resistance to sidewall punctures. Since I don't have a trailer at the moment (other than a toy hauler) I either rent one or just ride it on the road since it's street legal. I'm on the northwest side of town and ride the Silverbell Mine area or out on the east side of I-10 starting at Tangerine and going from there. I haven't made plans for Saturday yet but I'm available.........

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have put about 200 miles on a set of 30X10X14, ran them at 10.5 PSI in all 4. This pressure seems to be great for almost everything. It might be too low for racing, but have hit rocks at speed and have never felt rim contact.

Great tire, not so good in soft or silty terrain, but run great on hardpack and flexible enough for rocks. I run Utah desert and rocks, and really like this tire.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm certainly in agreement, they are great tires for my terrain here. Knowing that you run them at that pressure makes me feel a little better about trying lower pressures. I'll keep reporting back as I continue my experiment. One thing for sure is at the lower pressures the car rides nicer and handles better.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
To each is own liking for pressure I think. Trial and error for all. Some of us have some poundsand walker velocity shock love and are capable of running tires harder more air up doing higher speeds over desert obstacles

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm jealous Kyle ! Suspension upgrades in the future for sure. The Fox QRS or whatever gimmick they call them will be replaced with shock love eventually then I guess I could air my tires back up. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I'm jealous Kyle ! Suspension upgrades in the future for sure. The Fox QRS or whatever gimmick they call them will be replaced with shock love eventually then I guess I could air my tires back up. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
It sure helps the ride and next thing you know, your hitting shit 20mph faster. That's why I prefer to start at a higher pressure tire and back off till it fits your riding style and needs.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Amen to that. I'd rather sacrifice ride quality for one ride than shred another tire. I can always lower it for the next one until it rides and handles the way I like it without sacrificing the tire life. These tires ain't cheap! Well said Kyle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts